Win7 Pro x64 only sees 8GB RAM

I just installed another 6GB RAM to my X58 mobo for a total of 6 x 2 GB sticks. The POST screen and CPU-Z shows 12 GB of RAM but Windows only sees 8GB. Is there a limitation based on number of RAM sticks? The physical RAM limit on Win7 x64 Professional should be way above 8GB (like 192GB?)?

Any ideas?

benchmarks run fine, haven't actually done memtest+ yet but I don't think that is the issue since there is no instability I can see yet.

A few people with i7 processors have had similar problems. The solutions usually involved replacing the memory, motherboard or CPU.

I never had that problem using 12GB on my i7 930 or 950.

Maybe test @ stock speed with memtest86+, and inspect the socket for bent pins and CPU pads for any paste? Sorry I can't be of more help with this.

thanks for the suggestions, i'll give these a try. i just thought it odd that the BIOS recognizes all 12GB and a program from within Windows reports 12GB and sees every slot being filled with a stick (CPU-Z). I guess CPU-Z does a low level check and gets it's values directly from the BIOS or mobo somehow rather than using the Windows detected amount. Kudos to CPU-Z at least.

There has been a lot of talk in the past about people with x58 boards having bolt-through kits too-tight, which for some reason causes some of the memory to not be detected.

I just installed another 6GB RAM to my X58 mobo for a total of 6 x 2 GB sticks. The POST screen and CPU-Z shows 12 GB of RAM but Windows only sees 8GB. Is there a limitation based on number of RAM sticks? The physical RAM limit on Win7 x64 Professional should be way above 8GB (like 192GB?)?

Any ideas?

benchmarks run fine, haven't actually done memtest+ yet but I don't think that is the issue since there is no instability I can see yet.

Hi, lawrence131,

If you haven't already check Kyle's thread in the Motherboard Forum on this issue.

Hope this helps.

Chuklr

interesting thread Chuk - various people with similar problems but not a common fix for them. i will try re-seating and reshuffling and running at stock although at my CPU OC settings the RAM is actually underclocked at around DDR3-1540 instead of 1600. also haven't tried flashing to newest BIOS but the BIOS recognizes all 12GB so not sure that will help either but some useful suggestions. thanks.

x64 Professional - I think the max was supposed to be 192GB or something huge so I'm sure it's not just a version problem. could be an OS/software problem but don't want to reformat until I try the other things. there's apparently many people with the same problem with X58 boards or I7 CPU's. If more people ran 6 sticks of RAM we'd probably be seeing a ton of people with this problem but it's likely limited due to only a subset of users A) having I7 systems AND B) running 6 sticks of RAM.

the easiest (and most embarrassing) fix worked - just took out the new RAM sticks and re-seated them into different sockets instantly fixed the problem. i can almost swear they were seated fine since this is the hardest/stiffest mobo i've used and each RAM stick insertion takes a lot of force and makes a huge snap when it goes in. somehow either the shuffling or re-seating did the trick though. tested through a bunch of reboots and power downs and it's holding rock solid. benchmarked overnight without issues also.

thanks for the tips.

actually had no real use for that much memory but it allowed me to run an 8GB software cache just for experimentation purposes. it's making the HDD benchmarks ridiculously inflated but of course the numbers aren't real, fun to test though.

Any ideas?

hi, lawrence131,

Glad to hear you got it fixed.

Chuklr

Back