Win7 Prem OEM on my non-OEM system???

safehaven

Limp Gawd
I need a copy of Win7. There is a site called TrustPrice that sells an HP OEM version of Premium for a great price. LINK.

It says clearly in the title that it can be installed as a full version on any PC. Can someone please confirm that this is actually the case? Since it is an HP OEM disc, will it install all of HP's crap as well?

I don't have any experience with OEM discs.

Thanks!

As with most any other branded OEM media, it's the same OS but it includes some files that "tie" that specific installation disc to the branded OEM (in that case, HP hardware). If you use branded OEM media on non-OEM hardware, it'll simply ask you for a Product Key whereas branded OEM installs on the branded hardware won't.

Honestly I'd avoid that seller - I'll bet it's possible they could get in some hot water for doing what they're doing, maybe not, I can't say. But anybody selling Windows 7 in that manner is just questionable from the gitgo.

That OEM version will not come with a Product Key regardless of what that seller says - branded OEM versions don't use the Product Key printed on the COA sticker, they use a "royalty" key which is embedded in some of the installation files (those files that make the disc a branded OEM version).

The Product Key on the COA sticker is effectively useless; it's not the same as the "royalty" key when the OS is installed properly on the branded OEM hardware, and the COA sticker itself (not what's printed on it) determines the legitimacy of the license to use the OS.

As stated, I wouldn't touch that seller with a 10 foot pole...

Newegg sells the real deal for just $13 more and they have an infinitely superior reputation to that seller, obviously I'd buy the real deal from Newegg and get that plus an actual COA sticker with a valid Product Key that will be used for the installation.

Alright, I guess I will pass on that one.

As far as the site goes, it has 4.5 stars with 323 ratings on Google Products and 9.12 out of 10 lifetime rating on resellerratings.com. I usually pretty comfortable with those kind of numbers.

LOL $90 for an Upgrade version? Pay like $120 on Newegg for a FULL OEM version.

Yeah again stick with Newegg or Amazon for this type of stuff. If you buy off Amazon make they are the seller and shipper.

Back