Win7 install didn't ask for a key

blarg

Limp Gawd
I downloaded Win 7 RTM with my technet account. I also got the license key it provided and printed it off. When I installed Win 7 it got all the way through installing and never asked for the key.

So am I using a built in trail or something? What I want to know is do I need to enter the key somewhere or is this normal for the technet RTM version?

That's weird. I downloaded and burned Ultimate 64-bit and it asked me almost immediately after firing up. Well, I swear I downloaded Ultimate, but for some reason it installed Professional. It wouldn't accept my Ultimate key, so I skipped the key prompt and upgraded it to Ultimate using the Windows Anywhere thing.

Go to your My Computer properties page. Under where it displays the Windows version you're running, there should be a link to let you upgrade it.

Go to My Computer and hit System Properties. Scroll down and it will let you activate Windows. Type in the key there.

Perhaps the reason it didn't ask you is because there are a few configuration files in the image that you can tweak to change it between Retail/OEM and Ultimate/Professional, etc. You can even remove the specific configuration file so that you choose what version of 7 to install during the install period, rather than it defaulting to Ultimate or Professional. You may of downloaded a version that is configured to default to one type of install and not ask for a key.

So for those who downloaded Professional, but have an Ultimate key, you can smiply change the iso you have to Ultimate and reinstall. Or you can try the Windows Anytime Upgrade and see if you can put your Ultimate key in.

Go to My Computer and hit System Properties. Scroll down and it will let you activate Windows. Type in the key there.

Perhaps the reason it didn't ask you is because there are a few configuration files in the image that you can tweak to change it between Retail/OEM and Ultimate/Professional, etc. You can even remove the specific configuration file so that you choose what version of 7 to install during the install period, rather than it defaulting to Ultimate or Professional. You may of downloaded a version that is configured to default to one type of install and not ask for a key.

So for those who downloaded Professional, but have an Ultimate key, you can smiply change the iso you have to Ultimate and reinstall. Or you can try the Windows Anytime Upgrade and see if you can put your Ultimate key in.

My install defaulted to the Enterprise version and in Computer / Properites it says 0 days until automatic activation. Activate Windows now. I put in my product key and got activated.

There's a file on the Win 7 installation disc (or USB key if you copied the installation files to it) called "ei.cfg", which is located in the "sources" directory. Really what it does is that it tells Windows Setup which edition of Windows to select prior to installation. Thus, if you got Windows 7 Professional from Technet or MSDNAA and somehow the ei.cfg file states Home Premium as the edition then you will install Windows 7 Home Premium without questions asked (that's why you don't see the key entry dialog until the very end of Windows setup). This file can also contain other things like the key that came with the disc, which would explain why the OP did not see the dialog during installation.

This file acts as a replacement to the PID.txt found on older Windows verions and more info can be found on it here. It can also be removed, allowing you to select editions during setup much like Vista's installation process, though it is much easier to use a USB key for this task over remastering a new DVD.

Back