Win7, how to make ext USB drive to sleep?

Rhialto

Gawd
This sounds simple but I can't find how to do it.

Let me explain...

I use a sync tools to backup files from main HD to a second HD. Worked perfectly for years.

That second HD is now full and instead of using a new HD, I plugged in a 500GB FreeAgent USB drive that was collecting dust.

The backup works fine but I usually put my computer into sleep when I leave so when I come back, I press the power button and it's almost instant ready to use. It's much faster than a full power off.

Problem is that the USB drive keeps running when in sleep. It's usually useful to have USB ports still delivering power in some situations when in sleep mode, like mouse can be keep charged for example. I know it's BIOS controlled but I guess it's either a global ON or OFF state? Is there any settings in Windows to control a particular USB drive power state for sleep mode? I think I looked everywhere...

If it's not possible then I will use this USB backup drive as a temporary solution and will turn power off until I buy a SSD in a month or two.

Thanks

oops! Forget it! I wish I was able to delete my post...

It works, I was just impatient. USB HD goes off after 15 seconds or so while my mouse was still recharging. Nice!

For the freeagent drive, you can also use the seagate software that came with it to set the default sleep time for the drive for up to 2 hours.

Back