Win7 Friday. Anything I need to know?

AMDXP

2[H]4U
I'm going to finally call in my Windows 7 order this Friday. I finally have some time off!

I'm going to use my student discount for the 29.99.

I currently have windows xp pro. I also just purchased 4GB of ram to add to my Q6600 rig in my sig.

I'm going to try and get a full install, but is the upgrade decent enough? If I can't get a full install disc I'm going to try and complain for Win 7 pro. Other than that, ready to go.

Just asking if there's anything you can tell me/need to know.

Thanks!

I would recommend a clean install if possible. Update your BIOS, make sure you have the latest drivers on hand and you should be good to go.

I would recommend a clean install if possible. Update your BIOS, make sure you have the latest drivers on hand and you should be good to go.

I'm hoping for a full clean install. I have a feeling I'll end up with an upgrade disc though. Oh well, it's only 30 dollars.

Thanks, I read there that XP needs a clean install. Can anyone elaborate on this?

Do I tell them I'm upgrading from XP and not Vista?

It's the same disc regardless. You will be presented with an option to either upgrade or do a custom (full clean) install. The upgrade disc just checks the hard drive to determine what you can do. If it sees Vista already installed, you can do an in place upgrade. If it sees no OS (on the drive you are installing to) or sees XP installed, the option to do an in place upgrade will be grayed out and you will only be able to do the custom full install.

It's the same disc regardless. You will be presented with an option to either upgrade or do a custom (full clean) install. The upgrade disc just checks the hard drive to determine what you can do. If it sees Vista already installed, you can do an in place upgrade. If it sees no OS (on the drive you are installing to) or sees XP installed, the option to do an in place upgrade will be grayed out and you will only be able to do the custom full install.

Ahh. Thanks for the info!

I sent you a pm with the 3 upgrade tricks. Not sure if they'll make you reinstall later though.

Last edited:
So why buy the retail version and not the upgrade version?

Back