Win7, Enterprise...weird crash

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Trepidati0n, May 13, 2011.

1. Trepidati0n

Trepidati0n [H]ardForum Junkie

Today at work my laptop had an "amusing" (not) crash. Fortunately just before it happened I was doing a local backup to my USB HDD. Right after I came back everything was funky (HW errors, GPU @ 80C, memory full, etc) and Win7 was working the repair console. I quickly unplugged the USB drive and went to another machine and much to my initial horror, ALL the data was gone. I then plugged it into another machine and found much to my confusion, that all the directories went "hidden". I found this same thing on hte USER directory on my laptop (after I pulled the drive).

Does windows 7 normally do this after it bascially is saying "you are screwed"?

2. heatlesssun

heatlesssun [H]ard as it Gets

Any indication what caused the crash? In my experience Windows 7 just doesn't crash. In the almost two years since using the RTM version of Windows 7 I've have I think 3 crashes that I couldn't explain outside of me doing something that I knew could be a problem like overclocking over a dozen machines. If it happens again in my book there's something EXTREMELY wrong. I've got about half a dozen USB drives hooked to my sig rig which is the least stable machine I have in that it can crash with the 3x SLI Surround setup when messing with video drivers on occasion and I never has anything odd happen with my USB drives.

Make me wonder if the USB drive is the problem actually.

3. Trepidati0n

Pretty the HW (laptop) just took a shit The recovery console is basically saying (call Dell, tell them to bring a new machine). What i'm curious about is why as part of the process the OS hid most of the files...that is what is confusing me.

4. Javelin3o4

Javelin3o4 Gawd

sure your computer isnt infected. There are a some infections going aorund that have hidden entire hard drive directories and/or the users folders.

5. stiltner

stiltner [H]ardForum Junkie

That right there is exactly what I was going to say.

Fixed one a few weeks ago, so something related to this is in the wild right now.

6. Trepidati0n

Yep. It was an infection. Seriously, I have not gotten a virus in nearly 15 years due to being pretty careful and use of proper detection systems. However, at work..sometimes I don't get those same protections. I was hitting several VHDL tech sites that friday and one of them must be spewing this crap out.

IT department got it figured out...but damn. Once it was removed (took 3 passes with malwarebytes) then ran a program to unhide everything, then had to restore my start menu from a previous version. Will be running both the enterprise version of MSE and malwarebytes for a couple of days to make sure it isn't hiding dormant somewhere.

7. contitego

contitego Limp Gawd

Check to make sure the shortcuts, and your applications work. I had one recently where I would click on Word, and it would bring up the what do you want to associate word with dialog box.