[Win7] Can't view files on Windows 7 system via LAN

Elledan

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - April 2010
Odd issue here, when I try to access files on this Windows 7 Ultimate system via the LAN using its IP address or via the network list in Explorer, I get the login box as usual, just that after typing in the username and password, the box just pops up again, with the same data filled in, but nothing else happens.

On the side of the Win7 system I can see in the log that there was a successful login attempt via the network, but neither from an XP or another Win7 system can I log into the system to see its files. The afflicted system can however see files this way on other systems without issues.

Things tried so far since the issue first appeared has involved disabling the Windows firewall, removing anti-virus applications, setting a number of items in Network Security Policies to be more permissive as found on the MSDN forums, replacing the PSU with a much better Corsair one and reinstalling Windows 7 on top of the old installation.

Any ideas here? This issue has baffled me for months now :(

Are these hidden shares?

I hate this in Windows 7, you need to enable the 'Local Account Token Filter Policy' to be able to access hidden shares such as c$ and d$.

To do this create a DWORD LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy wth value 1 under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System.

As always its registry and at your own risk...

Odd issue here, when I try to access files on this Windows 7 Ultimate system via the LAN using its IP address or via the network list in Explorer, I get the login box as usual, just that after typing in the username and password, the box just pops up again, with the same data filled in, but nothing else happens.

On the side of the Win7 system I can see in the log that there was a successful login attempt via the network, but neither from an XP or another Win7 system can I log into the system to see its files. The afflicted system can however see files this way on other systems without issues.

Things tried so far since the issue first appeared has involved disabling the Windows firewall, removing anti-virus applications, setting a number of items in Network Security Policies to be more permissive as found on the MSDN forums, replacing the PSU with a much better Corsair one and reinstalling Windows 7 on top of the old installation.

Any ideas here? This issue has baffled me for months now :(

Just some simple stuff:
Did you enable network discovery on the afflicted system?
When you type in the username and password, are you using the username and password for the appropriate account on the afflicted system and preceding it with the proper computer name in the form of: \\AfflictedSystem\usernameonafflictedsystem
Have you tried changing the network share and local permissions to 'Everyone'?

Are these hidden shares?

I hate this in Windows 7, you need to enable the 'Local Account Token Filter Policy' to be able to access hidden shares such as c$ and d$.

To do this create a DWORD LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy wth value 1 under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System.

As always its registry and at your own risk...

Thank you, that seems to have done the trick :D Instant success with login from the other Win7 system at least. Thank you so much for providing the solution to this issue :cool:

@Lord Nassirbannipal - Thank you as well :)

Seems like the issue is back after reinstalling the previously affected Windows 7 system :(

Put the key FlangeMonkey described into the registry again, but no dice...

Back