Win7 7100 static IP won't stick

travbrad

[H]ard|Gawd
I am having a strange problem with Windows 7. I use static IPs on my network (to allow specific port forwarding, QOS, etc), but for some reason Windows keeps "forgetting" that I have chosen a static IP.

Every 5 hours or so it seems to change to dhcp/automatic IP address, and I have to go back in and manually change it to static. Every time I change it to static it also tells me something about "there is already an adapter with this IP address, do you want to delete the unused adapter?". I click yes of course, but this "unused" adapter doesn't appear anywhere in Windows, and I only have 1 network adapter...

It seems Windows keeps recreating my network settings for some reason (but my transferred bytes/packets never get reset, so maybe not?) Does anyone know how to get around this issue? Thanks.

P.S. I could just link the MAC address to an IP using my router, but I'm curious how to fix this through Windows.

Last edited:
I'm using static IP's here at home and I have one PC that dual boots XP and windows 7. Haven't had that problem myself, not yet anyway. I've only booted into windows 7 maybe three times though. One thing I've noticed with windows XP is if I happen to plug my USB Wireless dongle into a different USB port it gets detected again and a new wireless connection is created. It will show up as Wireless Network connection 2 or even 3. And the new connection would default to automatically obtain. Also when I went in to set my static IP I would get that IP already in use message. Moving your NIC card to another slot would likely cause the same thing. Never did figure out how to delete the duplicate connections.

D-Link DWA-130 Wireless "N" USB2 Adapter @ up to 300Mbps its as good as or even faster than my 100Mbps onboard NIC. I'm just curious, how your comment helps Travbrad fix his problem?

Back