Win7 32bit or 64 bit?

Unless you still have a 32-bit only processor, go ahead and get the 64-bit version. No other reason not to.

thanks - one more question - is ultimate worth the difference in price? win7 pro x64 is about $50 less and I don't really understand what more ultimate offers...?

I believe Ultimate offers XP Mode in addition to a couple other minor features. XP Mode can be helpful, but there are other virtualization options that, while more complex, are free.

Ultimate gives you the bitlocker encryption option in addition to everythng the lesser versions offer.

thanks - one more question - is ultimate worth the difference in price? win7 pro x64 is about $50 less and I don't really understand what more ultimate offers...?

Unless you need the features of Ultimate or Pro (and if you do, you probably already know it), just get Home Premium.

Ultimate (and Pro) adds XP mode and the ability to do network backups, and Ultimate adds multiple language support. Here's Microsoft's quick comparo:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/compare

No reason to get the 32 bit version of Windows 7 unless you are putting on an old desktop that has the maximum capability of 4 gbs of ram.

There's reasons to go 32 bit. 32 bit has a smaller disk footprint and uses less memory. If you have a system with less than 2GB of ram and/or a small hard drive, then I would go 32 bit any day of the week. 64 bit is only slightly more secure, but 32 bit is slightly more compatible with older software.

You're asking people who are [H] to make an objective decision. Only a fool would expect a non-bias answer :p

Last edited:
I meant for a new system I am building and I got exactly the answers I needed.

32 bit is slightly more compatible with older software.
:p

This would be the only reason I think. I have several older software programs (mostly games) which will not install on a 64 bit OS. Some will run if previously installed with an older XP dual boot but many require "coaxing" to do so. These same programs install and run fine on 32 bit Vista so it's definitely a 64 bit issue. I plan on keeping one 32 bit OS installed on a PC somewhere for legacy purposes, but all my new PC's are going 64 bit.

This would be the only reason I think. I have several older software programs (mostly games) which will not install on a 64 bit OS. Some will run if previously installed with an older XP dual boot but many require "coaxing" to do so. These same programs install and run fine on 32 bit Vista so it's definitely a 64 bit issue. I plan on keeping one 32 bit OS installed on a PC somewhere for legacy purposes, but all my new PC's are going 64 bit.

Business and Ultimate have XP mode which I would suggest you use if you have software that is so old it will not run on Windows 7. In my experience Windows 7 will run damn near anything regardless of 32 bit or 64 bit.

Never buy the home editions, they don't support software restriction policies ... I know, I know, you don't know what that is. But some day you will and wish you had it. Windows 7 will be another 10 year OS like XP was so get in good at the start.

if it's going to be a 10-yr OS then why are they pushing win8 already? Don't get me wrong, I wish they would just stick with one damn operating system for at least a good 5-7 years before releasing another, but it seems that is not their intention. Unless win8 fails miserably like vista did...

Which I believe it will. I'm still going to buy it because it's faster but I'm disabling Metro, which many people won't know how to do.

Microsoft has always been on a 3 year release cycle for OS's. The difference is starting with Vista they are releasing their Home and Professional editions at the same time, where before they staggered them.

If you have old printers, you may have an easier time finding 32-bit drivers vs. 64-bit drivers. One printer that comes to my mind are the Star SP-200 receipt printers. There are no 64-bit drivers as far as I know. Only 32-bit.

There's reasons to go 32 bit. 32 bit has a smaller disk footprint and uses less memory. If you have a system with less than 2GB of ram and/or a small hard drive, then I would go 32 bit any day of the week. 64 bit is only slightly more secure, but 32 bit is slightly more compatible with older software.

You're asking people who are [H] to make an objective decision. Only a fool would expect a non-bias answer :p

Well said. There is no one size fits all answer. Depends on the hardware and software that will be used.

I installed 32-bit on my laptop since it only has 2GB of RAM and a card reader with only a 32-bit driver available.

If your system is up to date and has 4+GB of RAM, there's absolutely no reason to go with 32-bit.

Your product code is good for 32 bit or 64 bit and you can switch back and forth if you want. If you buy an OEM copy you only get the one DVD for the version you order. You can still switch from 32 to 64 but you'll have to hunt up the missing DVD yourself. If you buy retail you get both 32 bit and 64 bit DVDs. If you go 64 bit you need 64 bit drivers. 64 bit Windows 7 will run 32 bit apps but will not run 16 bit apps, you need 32 bit windows 7 for those really old legacy apps. Pro and above will run XP mode and XP mode is 32 bit. If you buy Home Premium or below you can remote desktop out but not in to that PC. There is no Group Policy Editor access either. It may not matter to you but it does to some. Not being able to remote desktop in was a letdown for me.

Back