Win7 32 or 64-bit for 7 year old system?

Jones2504

n00b
Hi,

Support for XP has ended so I'm getting Windows 7, but I am not sure if I should go for the 32 or 64 bit version.

Cons (for 64-bit): Most of my system is 7 years old, and I have a feeling the 32-bit version will give me fewer problems with hardware compatibility, drivers, and so on. Do you agree with that?

(Here I have to mention that I am unwilling to flash the bios at any point - the risk of my destryoing the computer is too great).

On the other hand, I know the 64-bit version is faster (and my CPU is 64-bit). Also, I am wondering if a 32-bit system will have problems running new programs, games, etc. I hope to use the PC for at least a year or two.

Thanks for reading and for any input you might have. You can see my system specs in my signature.

64 bit. Your system is new enough (and you have 4gb of RAM), so 64 bit will be the way to go.

If you are using the hardware that is in your signature then go with 64-bit.

As long as you have 4gb of ram or more 64 bit makes sense. You should be fine with 64 bit.

Here I have to mention that I am unwilling to flash the bios at any point - the risk of my destryoing the computer is too great
Did you have a bad experience or something? I've flashed so many BIOS chips over the past 25 years it isn't funny. In all that time, I've only ever had one go bad, and that one was my fault (powered it off mid flash). While I'm not saying that it will be a requirement, sometimes things do work better. At least look over the patch notes for the BIOS and see if it looks necessary!
On the other hand, I know the 64-bit version is faster
I would not expect a performance increase with a 64bit operating system.
Also, I am wondering if a 32-bit system will have problems running new programs, games, etc. I hope to use the PC for at least a year or two.
You shouldn't have any problems if you stick to 32bit.

All in all -- Win7 should install nicely. You should be able to find drivers for all the hardware in your system, and it should run well. If it were my system, I would install 64bit, as there really is no reason to stick to 32bit unless you have software that is holding you back, which is rare these days.
Realistically, for the every day user, 32bit... 64bit... it doesn't make much of a difference. I always recommend 64bit becuase it can run 32bit software, but 32bit can't run 64bit.

32 bit only allow ~3GB RAM, so instant benefit. In my experience 64 bit runs 32 bit programs quite well.
only nuisance is remembering version when choosing downloads (if there is a choice).

I am also interested in why you feel that a BIOS flash is so hazardous?

They are quite routine.

You may find that you have no other choice but to flash your BIOS to install Win7, regardless of whether you choose 32-bit or 64-bit (you should choose 64-bit). I've upgraded several old PCs to Windows 7 and 8 that would lock up while booting the OS install disc until the BIOS was updated to its most recent version (which was quite often released for exactly that reason).

64 bit will work just as well as 32 bit on your hardware. Without 64 bit the pc can not access all of the 4G of memory you have in the system.

Thanks a bunch for your replies, everybody!! It seems 64 should be the way to go.

However, about the bios, my main concerns are:

1. I have never tried to flash a bios and have no idea how to do it. When I last attempted it, I found the info on the abit site incomprehensible. Plus, if I do it wrong, it will be difficult to get a compatible motherboard. If I had to do it, I would really need some hand holding from you guys.

2. It seems Abit went out of business several years ago, and I'm not sure who is maintaining their site (http://abit.ws/) or if the info and software there is reliable?

3. The last bios on the site that seems to be for ip35 e is from may 2008. So it probably couldn't fix any problems with Win 7 that came out in 2009?

So if a bios flash is needed, as evilsofa suggests, I would have a problem?

Before you delve into that, what bios version do you even have presently?

A bios that worked with Vista (Vista came out in 2006) is likely to work fine with 7, as 7 is really just Vista updated.

A bios flash is really easy and no big deal. If you need a hand, just ask. Its almost impossible to screw it up as there are so many checks these days.

You just start the flashing utility and select the bios file. It will make sure that you picked the right file then apply it to your bios chips. All you have to do is not power it off until its done.

Just keep it in your mind that, if you have problems with 7, you might need a flash. Probably won't, but don't rule it out!

4GB system memory + 1GB GPU = not a good idea with 32 bit.

But remember the keys are all identical so if for some unforeseen reason 64 doesn't work, you can roll back to 32 bit. I've ran 64 bit Windows since Vista era and I haven't had any problems.

Back