[win2k3]setting user password

ashrack

Limp Gawd
if I set the password on Win2k3 server for user BILL which has ADMIN priviligies I am no longer able to access the SERVERS' network drive thru LAN. Because when I try to connect from a client Win2k SP4 it asks me for a password, and then I type in the correct username and password but it will always say that the password / username is invalid. But the pass/user is 101% correct. And yes I checked the caps lock.

So for now Ive disabled the password on the user BILL.So I can browse SERVERs' shared drive. But this is very insecure.

yes they are.
fixed the problem. Had to restart the WORKGROUP service on client machines. Apperantly they keep credentials and when U change the passwords of one of the remote computers the credentials dont match and thus the need to restart WORKSTATION service to erase the cache.
Correct me if I am worng

It sounds like you are using a peer-to-peer/workgroup network. This is one inherant problem that. In a peer-to-peer environment, if server1 and server2 both have an account named Bill, they are not the same account. So, setting password for one will cause authentication to break on the other.

This is why using a domain/Active Directory is a good this. Any more than a few machine and a peer-to-peer network becomes a pain to manage.

I only have 3 client machines. One for me, one for my father and one for my mother.
But I would still like to try and set up domain. ATM I have workgroup because Ive never tried DOMAIN B4.
Is there any guide to help me out with a domain.

What would be pros/cons for this kind of network:
network.jpg

Back