Win2K3 Problem: Process1 Initialization Failed

drizzt81

[H]F Junkie
Hi guys,

so after a Power outage here (possible overvoltage too) my Win2K3 server was down. I rebooted it and it started to recreate the AD files that may have been corrupted. After a while I was still unable to Remote Desktop in, so I looked at the console. It said that something failed and I should reboot.

So I did, upon rebooting I got an error "NTOSKRNL.exe corrupt or missing"... Upon reading a couple of websites' info, I took the boot HDD out, added it to my workstation and ran CHKDSK. That found a bunch of broken files/ dirs and 'repaired' them.

Now, my server boots up until the Splash Screen "Windows 2003 server" shows up and reboots after the progress indicator is about 1/4 of the way down. Upon using F8 to examine the error, I see a BSOD: PROCESS1_INITIAILIZATION_FAILED with a bunch of suggestions that I have already tried.

I have rerun chkdsk using the recovery console, to no avail. Fixboot and Fixmbr did not do anything either. I do have a bunch of files and dirs in a hidden "found.000" directory, but these are policy files and the likes.

According to another website, I should perform a 'repair install' but that option does not seem available with my MSDNAA Windows 2003 Server CD. Now I am at the point where I really do not know what to do apart from reinstall everything or using an _old_ recovery image that I created before promoting my install to a DC or installing my CVSnt service etc.

I would appreciate suggestions on how to solve my problems without having to reinstall. Maybe someone can point me towards how to perform a 'repair install'.

Greg

resolution: NTDLL.DLL was missing from windows\system32

now on to the next problem:

Stop c000021a {Fatal System Error}
The session manager initialization system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000034 (0x00000000, 0x0000000) The system has been shut down.

Correct me if im wrong because i've only run my WIN2k3 server for about a year now but doesnt it have a similar recovery process like WINXP does? ASR? (I think)

ASR would work, if i had ASR discs. In my SC420 without a floppy drive, that is kinda hard to have :/

yeah yeah, i hear the people yelling "backups"... :/

interesting note: After trying to run ASR without the floppy, the win2K3 disc now finds my windows install and allows me to 'repair' it. Very awkward indeed!

UPDATE: Repair install fails at the GUI setup portion. Something about missing files on the CD... PITA

Back