win2k server only see 1 Xeon CPU

Maori80

[H]ard|Gawd
I got a dual Xeon Computer, in the Bios it says I got 4 (which is right)..but when I boot into Win2k Server, the taskmanager and properties says I only have 2 (which is only 1 cpu) , the computer used to see all 4.. anyone got any idea whats going on??

Are these Hyperthreading Xeons? And you have four actual CPUs?

And is this Win2k Server or Win2k Advanced Server?

Advanced Server will support 8 CPUs, while Server will only support four. When it comes to Hyperthreading, the 2000 family will see the virtual CPUs as real ones, unlike XP Pro.

Disable HT in the Bios and see if it still shows both processors or if it only shows one after that.

First of all, AFAIK Windows 2000 Server (as in plain vanilla) only sees 2 CPUs, no matter physical or logical. So, you're not going to see the other 2 CPUs. Whether you're seeing 2 physical CPUs or 1 physical and one logical, I don't know, but that's all you'd see...

I know for sure that Advance Server can handle a pair of Xeons with HT enabled:

w2kadvser.jpg

MY Win2k Server used to look like that. but now with or without HT enabled only show 1 CPU in windows

what does device manager show for procesors? and for computer? is it a multiprocessor ACPI or uniprocessor?

==Lazn

Was the OS installed with one physical processor isntalled? Because if you add a second CPU to it, it won't work until either the HAL (Hardware Abstration Layer) is changed out with a multi-processor HAL or the OS is re-installed, which corrects that problem by installing a SMP capable HAL I know theres a couple utilities out there that will patch your OS to utilize multiple CPU's after a installation has occured with only one CPU installed.

This utility was created by companies like HP so that users could upgrade thier systems without re-installing the OS. HP does have a utility for machines that were originally purchased with Windows 2000. The software comes with the Processor upgrade kits for SMP.

Windows XP and Server 2003 can make the adjustments to the HAL and go back and fourth dynamically. Windows 2000 can not. HT or no HT.

If not all of your CPU's are showing up, you may need to re-install. I've occasionally seen that on SMP systems. I would also recommend that if this is your personal machine and you've got a freebie copy of the software you can obtain, I would recommend installing Windows 2003 server to take better advantage of your hardware. Windows 2003 Server runs just as fast as Windows XP and has better HT support and as far as games, video or any kind of MM applications it rapes 2000 in every way.

Additionally it is also vastly superior in terms of drive performance with any kind of ATA devices.

Puffy said:
multiprocessor.. which even single Xeon would show that..

Not if you had a uniprocessor HAL installed.

I would say disable HT and see if you still have 2 processors showing.

As stated earlier, unless it is 2k advanced server, it only supports two processors total (2000 can not distinguish between virtual processors and real ones like 2k3 can) and you may be stuck running it with HT disabled till you can upgrade to advanced or to 2k3. (or XP if it is not a server)

==>Lazn

Lazn_Work said:
Not if you had a uniprocessor HAL installed.

I would say disable HT and see if you still have 2 processors showing.

As stated earlier, unless it is 2k advanced server, it only supports two processors total (2000 can not distinguish between virtual processors and real ones like 2k3 can) and you may be stuck running it with HT disabled till you can upgrade to advanced or to 2k3. (or XP if it is not a server)

==>Lazn

I got Multiprocessor HAL installed (Win2k Server is installed with both CPU in).. with or without HT, the Bios see both Xeon Processor, when I boot into windows 2k server, it drops to only 1 (it either doesn't see both virtual CPU, or 1 of the actual CPU). but as I mention earlier, it used to work and see both CPU and virtual CPus.. it just happened couple days ago..

Hmmm... This is very strange. :(

Ok, get yourself a copy of CPU-Z. Install it and load it up to see if you see the following in the drop down box:

cpu-z.jpg

If you do, you don't have a problem. If you don't, you need to install the SMP(DP) HAL... ;)

Back