win2k scheduler skips tasks

Mr. D.

Weaksauce
I am using the scheduler on a win2k box to execute an important task for my employer. There are several tasks scheduled but two out of three aren't executed and the third is sometimes skipped. The weird thing is that the sheduler says that they have been executed according to schedule. But from the data on the computer, I can see that the tasks have not been executed. Is this a known bug in win2k or am I doing something wrong?

Could it be running with the wrong commands in the scheduled task, and your not seeing the expected output, but it's still running?

IIRC, there is a OLD scheduler update, but I think that was in W2KSP2. I would have to check to verify.

So the scheduler say is launched the task, but it doesn't look like what the task was supposed to do actually occured.

First things first. Check that the target file was launched at the right time.

To do this, first look at the info on tha task and see if the last run time is correct.
Next check the event log around that time and see if there was any errors in launching the task.
An independent way of checking this would be to, change the tasks to point to batch files which log the date\time and then launch the real task, and then log the time when the task completes.

If the task is not being launched, look over all the advanced settings closely. It could be set to only launch when the system is idle, or when the task is not already running. These settings could prevent a task from launching when the conditions are right.

If the task is being launched, see if there are any application errors in the event log from your application. If it has it's own logging system, check that. Also check that when launched manually with the same account, that it works correctly.

First things first. Check that the target file was launched at the right time.

Thats the problem: the scheduler says it ran but the task never launched. There is no mention of it in the event logs.

check the scheduled task log file...
from scheduled tasks window > advanced > view log...
what is the error exit code for the task?

Mr. D. said:
Thats the problem: the scheduler says it ran but the task never launched. There is no mention of it in the event logs.

We're trying to get more information about what is happening, without that we'd just be guessing as to why you're not getting the results you expect.

Did you check the task log like j4zzee mentioned (I'd forgotten that log was there).
Did you try checking if the task launched via any other method?

One "shot in the dark" though:
Is it possible the task scheduler service is being stopped? Check the services on the machine and confirm that it's running.

Hi [MS}], thanks for taking interest in my problem.

I checked the event logs. There is no mention of the schduled tasks, indicating that the scheduler doesn't even launch them.

When I right-click them in the scheduler and then select run then task runs fine.

I know that the scheduler service is still running because I have another task which is executed. But even that taskt is sometimes skipped.

I am really at a loss here. I am considering installing a 3rd party scheduler. But I am a bit reluctant to do that because it only complicates matters.

Scheduled Tasks writes to a log file in your system root called; SchedLgU.Txt
This log is also viewable from inside the scheduled task window

that log file is empty?

I am beginning to this thatthe problem may be caused by the novell network that we have. The scheduler works fine when a user is logged in. But when all users are logged off, it doesn't work anymore. I have also tried several other schedulers and they have the same problem.

I will try to put a screensaver with a password on the server and leave a user logged in. Maybe that will help.

Another thought...

Is there anythings different about the schedule of the one that is running? Is it possible the machine is entering some sort of suspend mode for power saving? That might halt tasks from running.

At one point you mentioned that running the tasks manually worked, that was when you were logged on as the same account specified for the task, right?

At one point you mentioned that running the tasks manually worked, that was when you were logged on as the same account specified for the task, right?

Correct. That made me think that the system has to be logged in in order to work.

What account is the scheduler service running under? I'm assuming it's local system. If so, the task must be able to execute in that security context. Also, when scheduler runs, the environment has fewer things available. Assume that mapped drives aren't available to the scheduler services, as well as most of the path. If you're calling executables that are found in your path without the drive and directory name explicitly defined, you may try hard coding those references instead.

The fact that the task runs fine when you're logged on is a strong indicator that it's simply the differences between your user environment and credentials as opposed to the rights and settings under which the scheduler service runs.

Not that this is what you want to hear, but locking the system like that isn't a great solution. There is something wrong with your install if you all that you stated in this thread is correct, not that my saying so help you solve the issue (unfortunately).

You said the task was set to under the user account you normally launch it as. As long as the advanced properties are not set to "only run when user logged on", then there should be no tie between a user being logged in and the task. When set to run under a specific account, the task process will be created as that user account.

Back