Win2K Pro - Can't DL .exe files. Why?

NoXPert

Limp Gawd
Title says it all, but this issue needs to be corrected on my laptop.
I can DL most other types of files (zip, etc.) but not an .exe file. Where would this restriction be set, and how can I fix it?
TIA - NoXPert
And yes, I do fold for good ol' Team 33!

What is it doing when you click on a .exe to download it? What application are you using? Assuming it's IE, can you right click and save as? What kind of network are you on; home, dorm, company, other?

When I click to DL, it brings up a dialog box that says "Getting File Info" or something very close to it. It runs that box for about 15 - 20 seconds then errors out saying it cannot get the file info from the server or the file is invalid or somesuch. I'll try and do some screenshots of these errors tomorrow back at the worksite.
Right-clicking for "Save As..." does the same thing.
I am using dial-up at work (yes, it sux). The only network/domain may be when I log into Windows at start-up which would be the company. I haven't had a chance to log in under guest to try DLs. My account does have full administrative capabilities, though, as I can install anything local to the laptop, from CD or HDD.
I think that covers your Q's. If you need more, LMK.
Thanks!

Just bringing this back to life... Still haven't solved the problem.

Sorry, must have missed the last reply.

OK, the reason I was asking about the network was to see how your connected to the internet, it's dial up, so no network.

A couple things to try: download and install firefox. Test a download with this browser, does it work? This will test if it's an IE for OS issue.

Next, create a new account with admin rights. Do not copy yours. Login with this account and try to download in IE. This will test for profile issues.

Good luck. BTW, I probably won't respond until monday (I post when I'm at work M-F) unless you reply within the next 2 hours. GL.

Will give those options a try on Monday as well. She's folding this weekend, and I don't need to get on thru dial up while I'm at home. I'll let you know what happens! Thx!

Mozilla FF allowed the .exe to DL. Wonder why IE isn't working as it should. I'll be trying the new user account later today.
Any thoughts?

OK, well do you have to use IE? I would probably recommend switching for security reasons. Firefox works well, and there is 0 learning curve to change.

I have not had to do this, but you can reinstall IE. I don't think this is a file problem, so you can likely skip the sfc /scannow step, or do it last. This is likely a problem in the registry where IE is told how to handle certian file types, you may be able to edit a single key to fix this, though I don't know which ones and were they are.

I agree that FF is an acceptable option in the case that something needs to be DL'd. I am trying it out; not too shabby.
I'm going to poke around the registry and see if there is anything that resembles my issue.
Thanks, Phoenix86, for providing me with such a simple fix! BTW, I had to put the FF setup .exe file on my USB drive to import to the lappy. Not a big deal, and saved the dial-up DL!

LMAO, couldn't download FF from IE. Hmm, I think were on to something here. ;)

Check out some of the FF extensions like tab-x, and ad-block. There are some threads, if you search that have lists of used extensions.

Back