Win10 won't post after going haywire in Sleep mode

Couldn't decide which forum to throw this in, but it is probably mostly operating system related.

My desktop was in Sleep mode while I was at work. I manually clicked for it to enter Sleep mode. I got home and clicked a random key on the keyboard and it displayed something, I wasn't really paying attention, then froze on what I think was the AsRock image, but again I was exhausted not paying attention. I figured it was just a glitch and did a hard reboot. I've had Sleep mode do weird stuff the past few decades and didn't think much of it.

Now I can't get the desktop to load past the little blue windows icon and spinning white dots underneath. Every third or fourth try it goes into Preparing automatic Repair for a bit then I get a black screen. I have tried hammering F8 but it doesn't give me the option to start in safe mode. Fast Boot is not enabled in bios.

No overclocks, drivers are up to date. Went into the bios and have everything at default. Can't think what else to try before I take it up to Microcenter for help.

It is doing something odd making me think it's hung up in sleep mode. If I hit the power switch on the actual power supply, then wait a few seconds and flip it back on, the computer automatically tries starting back up. Never had it do that.

how many hard drives you have attatched to mb/usb ??

unplug all but c drive ... you have repair disk ? or usb ?
can you boot from usb through bios ?
win 10 ?

Three hard drives. I tried unplugging everything but the monitor, still no change. I'll try unplugging the other two hard drives

How to Start Windows 10 in Safe Mode from Cold Boot

Safe Mode can also be launched from a cold boot. In other words, in times when Windows 10 will not load, you can still start in Safe Mode by the method below.
  1. Shut you computer down and ensure that it is completely off
  2. Hold the power button in until your computer turns on, and continue to hold it until it turns off again
  3. Repeat step 2 two more times
  4. Turn the computer on again
  5. This will bring you to the Automatic Repair screen
  6. After the diagnostic runs, click Startup Repair
  7. From the Windows Recovery Environment window, click Troubleshoot
  8. In the troubleshoot window select Advanced Options
  9. From the Advanced Options menu select StartUp Settings
  10. In the Start-up Settings Window select Restart
  11. From the Boot Options window, select your option for booting into Safe Mode

Appreciate the help guys.

It still doesn't want to go into the Automatic Repair screen. Either hangs on the blue windows icon or it goes into the Preparing Automatic Repair and then a black screen. I gave up and turned it in to Microcenter for help.

Well, since OP sorta 'semi-figured it out', imma hijack a little, lads.

Soo, what was wrong with vista? Everything forks fine for taco. I remember hw accelerated sound was borke for games?

Please enlighten, mates!
It was very broken on launch, constant HDD trashing, memory issues, driver issues... It was a disaster. Most people ditched it as soon as they could.

Vista also had a massive issue with requiring much higher resource requirements. A buddy of mine had a lower end laptop. It ran fine with WinXP, ran like absolute shit with Vista but once 7 was put on it it ran at least as good and probably better than XP. Vista was simply as massive resource hog for no benefit.

As far as I see it the biggest problem with the launch of Vista was that MS changed the driver model. It meant that many manufacturers either delayed or didn't update the drivers which in turn broke Vista for many end users (or hardware while using it). Once Win7 was released, enough time was passed for manufacturers to update their driver base and it was a bit more painless.

As far as I see it the biggest problem with the launch of Vista was that MS changed the driver model. It meant that many manufacturers either delayed or didn't update the drivers which in turn broke Vista for many end users (or hardware while using it). Once Win7 was released, enough time was passed for manufacturers to update their driver base and it was a bit more painless.

I don't even weigh the driver problems against MS when it comes to Vista. MS does deserve some of the blame since they allowed terribly written drivers to run on the previous OSes but the growing pains regarding drivers were on the companies writing the drivers for the most part.

By the time Win7 came around most of the driver issues were solved (or the hardware was simply abandoned) but 7 was successful for a lot of reasons beyond that. The resources needed to run 7 tolerably were cut in half or more. Vista was simply a pig about resources and it didn't gain you anything. 7 also tamed down the prefetch at boot quite a bit so when first starting the computer you didn't have to wait as long before it became usable. There was also a nasty networking bug in Vista which was solved with 7 if you were using gigabit networking. In Vista there was a QoS setting which would reserve a portion of your bandwidth to be unused in order to keep latencies lower. This was fine with 100mbit or lower connections but the formula used for it would throttle a gigabit connection to be worse than a 100mbit connection. There was a patch or two released for Vista to supposedly fix it but it never worked for me. I disabled that QoS service in the registry in order to use my gigabit network connection.

There were other issues with Vista but for me those were the worst. In my opinion Vista was a perfect storm of crap. Some of the issues were 100% MS's fault while some of them were not but they all hit at once. It was a terrible OS release because of the perfect storm of shit but even without the perfect storm it was far from a good OS. Win7 is what Vista should have been to begin with. Win7 is also the last good OS MS released.

I use Win10 only for games and even for that once or twice a week so it works fine for me. I'm very happy I'm not windows dependent.

So, the issue ended up being really weird.

Windows did some update and crashed. Somewhere in the process it split the recovery backup between 3 hard drives. Then one hard drive stopped responding and the OS got stuck in a loop.

The guy at Microcenter said he'd never seen anything like it and to never use Sleep mode again lol.

Back