Win10 what happens when support ends?

wandplus

Limp Gawd
I bought version 2004 and saw it'll be updated until Dec. 14, 2021. What happens after that? Can I pay for updates without re-installing Windows? How much does it cost? Can I click to update it to 20H2? (I haven't installed yet because I'm waiting for the Rocket Lake CPU.)

What happens after that? Can I pay for updates without re-installing Windows? How much does it cost? Can I click to update it to 20H2?
after that youll probably be nagged to update. no need to pay, just update. yes.

I bought version 2004 and saw it'll be updated until Dec. 14, 2021. What happens after that? Can I pay for updates without re-installing Windows? How much does it cost? Can I click to update it to 20H2? (I haven't installed yet because I'm waiting for the Rocket Lake CPU.)
It costs only your security and privacy. Not much by todays standards apparently.

Windows 10 keeps getting major updates every few months. Just keep upgrading to stay in support.

I read something really peculiar. After 2025 they say there will be no Windows. Does that mean everyone has to move to Linux?

I read something really peculiar. After 2025 they say there will be no Windows. Does that mean everyone has to move to Linux?
My guess is that they plan to force people into cloud subscriptions by that time. They'll own your computers 100%. Net boot, controlled central environment. China will love it.

OK, I don't know if it's useless to even screenshot this but here it is (this was from googling "what happens when windows 10 support expires"):
whatlol.jpg

OK, I don't know if it's useless to even screenshot this but here it is (this was from googling "what happens when windows 10 support expires"): View attachment 335333

Windows 10 isn't the "last version", it's simply when they changed from monolithic OS updates to bi-yearly "feature updates". It's a constantly evolving OS now. Eventually older versions of Windows 10 will stop being supported, but those people can simply upgrade to the newest version of Windows 10 and they are good to go again. If someone has a need to stick with an older version of Windows 10, then eventually they are going to be stuck with a version that isn't supported anymore, like those still running Windows 7, Vista, or XP.

Mark my words. Windows will move to a sub model within 10 years. People are conditioned to accept this model. Everyone is trying to sell you a sub to everything. Companies want you to own nothing.

Last edited:
Mark my words. Windows will move to a dub model within 10 years. People are conditioned to accept this model. Everyone is trying to sell you a sub to everything. Companies want you to own nothing.
It's also possible that the 'subscription' will be free like with social media. They just claim ownership to all your data and sell your privacy and bomb with adverts. Plebs will be fully grinded into the machine like some pre-stage of Borg.

It's also possible that the 'subscription' will be free like with social media. They just claim ownership to all your data and sell your privacy and bomb with adverts. Plebs will be fully grinded into the machine like some pre-stage of Borg.
Possibly but I see them being greedy and charging like $5 a month. They already doing that with your data with windows 10.

Mark my words. Windows will move to a sub model within 10 years. People are conditioned to accept this model. Everyone is trying to sell you a sub to everything. Companies want you to own nothing.

That has already occurred for businesses since XP.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/licensing/licensing-programs/enterprise?activetab=enterprise-tab:primaryr2

Unfortunately, leaving the subscription model in place meant Businesses can run their systems well past what MS was intending (what killed Vista)

They have finally figured out how to make Office perpetual under nadella with 365 (Something Steve failed to work), so I guess doing this for End-users Windows will be the next big step.

But you can still buy a copy of the latest Office 2021 , so I doubt this will happen for consumers / small; businesses anytime soon

Last edited:
Seems like they are going with the OS X / macOS thing where there are no more numbers and it's just medium sized updates every few months rather than big changes every few years.

Also wouldn't be surprised with a subscription model and/or the next Windows being a Linux distro.

Back