Win10 usb install stuck on blue window screen

spaceman

[H]F Junkie
Doing an install on a msi 550 tomahawk with a 5600x a samsung 860evo 1tb and 32gb ram. All good in bios. I see everything. Usb windows loading tool is an issue I cannot solve. I used it previously with an htpc build. Win 10 64bit same as this one. Problem is that when it gets to the very first screen with the blue windows logo. Nothing happens. No spinning white dots. Nada. Left it alone for am hour and nothing. I tried the rufus install too and the same thing happened. Wtf? I have been building since the x386dx days. I am starting to think the usb stick is outdated? I tried it in all of the usb slots though.

Thanks for any insight. About to just return it all and start over.

Doing an install on a msi 550 tomahawk with a 5600x a samsung 860evo 1tb and 32gb ram. All good in bios. I see everything. Usb windows loading tool is an issue I cannot solve. I used it previously with an htpc build. Win 10 64bit same as this one. Problem is that when it gets to the very first screen with the blue windows logo. Nothing happens. No spinning white dots. Nada. Left it alone for am hour and nothing. I tried the rufus install too and the same thing happened. Wtf? I have been building since the x386dx days. I am starting to think the usb stick is outdated? I tried it in all of the usb slots though.

Thanks for any insight. About to just return it all and start over.
I wouldn't be surprised if Windows still had the decades old bug where it can't install on a machine with over 16Gb of ram lol.

I don't think so. The first batch of ram had a bad stick. So it was 16 gb. I have tried two different usb sticks. One which I had just used to install win 10 with the media creation tool. What is 20h2?

Oh I see. I did redownload the windows creation tool and it auto downloaded win 10. Do I need to do something different to get 20h2?

Thanks

Last edited:
I don't think so. The first batch of ram had a bad stick. So it was 16 gb. I have tried two different usb sticks. One which I had just used to install win 10 with the media creation tool. What is 20h2?
2020 version 2nd half of the year

Oh I see. I did redownload the windows creation tool and it auto downloaded win 10. Do I need to do something different to get 20h2?

Thanks
The media creation tool downloads windows you don't need to download it from anywhere. If you download an ISO from anywhere but Microsoft be sure to check the md5 hash. Most images set available are modified and can contain basically anything between the heaven and the earth.

If the problem is indeed the 16Gb bug, it's enough to have just one 16Gb stick and the setup will crash. Anything less than 16Gb will work.

Ah well shit. I don't have that. Just going to pirate a disk drive from an old pc or laptop and install via disk then. Come on microsoft. Jesus.

Remembered a friend just upgraded from 16 to 32 and he will let me borrow an 8 gb stick if necessary.

Last edited:
Ah well shit. I don't have that. Just going to pirate a disk drive from an old pc or laptop and install via disk then. Come on microsoft. Jesus.

Remembered a friend just upgraded from 16 to 32 and he will let me borrow an 8 gb stick if necessary.
i dont think there is a ram limit when installing windows, no idea what he was talking about. try making another usb with the creation tool.

i dont think there is a ram limit when installing windows, no idea what he was talking about. try making another usb with the creation tool.
There isn't an official ram limit but there used to be a bug which crashed Windows on boot if you tried to install it using 16Gb or more of ram.

I have made 4 different usb with the tool. They are all 8 gb usb and I believe the older 2.0. I did try it in all usb slots of the Mobo too. I gave up last night. That's why I am going to try the disk method before I return at least the Mobo and ram.

I have made 4 different usb with the tool. They are all 8 gb usb and I believe the older 2.0. I did try it in all usb slots of the Mobo too. I gave up last night. That's why I am going to try the disk method before I return at least the Mobo and ram.
could work. try removing any extra devices/drives and disable any onboard extras.

Have you tried booting anything else? Try a minimal Linux distro -- maybe a Debian "netinst" image with a recent kernel (the purpose is just to see whether it can successfully boot). Firmware issue? Have you checked for updates?

Not sure about firmware. I haven't checked mostly bc it's a fairly recent mobo. I have never used anything other than windows. I could try linux if my current plan fails. Going to try it tonight.

Not sure about firmware. I haven't checked mostly bc it's a fairly recent mobo. I have never used anything other than windows. I could try linux if my current plan fails. Going to try it tonight.
In many cases linux has worked when Windows has failed to install. Having said that, try resetting the CMOS (remove the battery and short the reset pins for a couple of seconds) if Windows refuses to install and linux does.

My PC does that everytime I try to use the front usb ports. Try a hardwired rear port of you aren't already my front ports work for everything else

Naw. I don't use a case atm. Just a test bench. So they are going directly into the mobo.

FYI I have installed Win 10 Pro / Ent from 1809 and up on systems with 64GB of ram with out issues. Most recently 1903 on the Dell T5610 i am using now with 64GB of ram.

Are you booting legacy or UEFI? could try one or the other. Universal USB Installer i often use as well, or Rufus to do UEFI specific (fat32) or NTFS formating

Is it possible for you to get a windows version prior to 20h2?

I ask because 20h2 is the first time I have ever had a windows update cause problems on a personal machine of mine. I wouldn't be surprised if the problem is the new Windows version and nothing else.

Maybe. I can look around my old hard drives. Maybe there is a torrent out there?

Tried an older version. Now it just has a blank screen. Lol. Fuck. Everything is cool and detected in bios. I just don't understand wtf? I guess try another mobo? I will try it on my old msi p67

Do you have the latest bios for your mobo? is it a beta bios or a full release?

Maybe something to do with the hardrive setup?

Are you able to format the drive in another windows 10 machine?

Have you checked what your storage settings are in the bios? Sometimes Raid modes and other things like that, can require drivers which Windows may not have by default.

It was the bios. I would say that I am am idiot. Well. I haven't done a build in a long ass time. I just figured they would have built this mobo in the last month or two and it would have been updated at least once. Nope. The bios installed was from July. Derp

It was the bios. I would say that I am am idiot. Well. I haven't done a build in a long ass time. I just figured they would have built this mobo in the last month or two and it would have been updated at least once. Nope. The bios installed was from July. Derp
and this is why you buy anything AMD from micro center

I had a machine recently that would do the same as yours is doing. Gave it a couple of goes and then bit the bullet and got out my external cd drive and loaded it from there.

Back