Win10 update problem on old Laptop

98 SNAKE EATER

Weaksauce
I've got an old Toshiba Qosmio X875 Laptop that's been my rock for about a decade now

Originally came with Win8, but udated to Win10 Pro about a year ago

Thing is, it keeps trying to force updates and everytime it does, I get a pop up saying it couldn't complete and it's undoing changes

This can take several minutes, but I've had times where it took almost an hour (annoying AF)

Afterwards, the process would try to force another update and so on

20220104_122437 (Medium).jpg
20220104_122724 (Medium).jpg

I've probably had it do this about 80 times with no luck as it just won't update properly

Whats going on?

Also, is there a way to disable updates for good?

It seems everytime I do an update it gives me some useless feature that only slows down the startup process

if you have 3rd party a/v it will do that.
a/v or some other background app is interfering.
yes, via the reg but you shouldnt.

Having some more info to go on would be helpful. Open up Windows Update and see if there is a specific update that it is trying to install. It might include an error code. It would also be helpful to know what OS build you are on.

If you have never done a fresh OS install since you got the laptop, you might be dealing with a bad combo of some old Windows 8 drivers and/or old Windows 8-era Toshiba OEM bloatware still on the system. I would uninstall any old un-used programs especially old 3rd party malware or anti-virus. I would also check optional updates under Windows Update to see if it has any driver updates available for your hardware.

You could also just try to upgrade to Windows 11 by bypassing the installation requirements (very easy). It's possible if not probable that the upgrade to Windows 11 would simply leapfrog whatever Windows 10 update it's currently stuck on.

Having some more info to go on would be helpful. Open up Windows Update and see if there is a specific update that it is trying to install. It might include an error code. It would also be helpful to know what OS build you are on.

If you have never done a fresh OS install since you got the laptop, you might be dealing with a bad combo of some old Windows 8 drivers and/or old Windows 8-era Toshiba OEM bloatware still on the system. I would uninstall any old un-used programs especially old 3rd party malware or anti-virus. I would also check optional updates under Windows Update to see if it has any driver updates available for your hardware.

You could also just try to upgrade to Windows 11 by bypassing the installation requirements (very easy). It's possible if not probable that the upgrade to Windows 11 would simply leapfrog whatever Windows 10 update it's currently stuck on.

It originally came with Win8 (along with Toshiba's typical bloatware) and over time it would try to force me to update to Win8.1, which would always cause issues.

I'd lose a lot of key features key features and it would slow down the entire system quite a bit.

Stuff like the BlueRay Burner, 3D webcams, 3D glasses and basic keys on the keyboard would stop working and I'd have to work my way through a labyrinth of driver updates to get them back, but they were never really fully functional as they once were.

When I got fed up with it, I'd just do a fresh system restore back to the original Win8 and it ran perfectly fine again with lightning speeds until the next forced update.

This went on for years and years until finally sometime in 2020 my C: drive caught Covid and it was no longer able to do a system restore.

Ended up doing a fresh Win10 install and after a bit of running around looking for drivers, I got it running fine.

Some of the cool stuff if came with still don't work as it should, but I can't say I have much use for 3D and BlueRay burners nowadays, so no big deal.

It would run fine for my current use of a video editing machine until it forces me to do these damn updates, which randomly holds me up during start up, so to avoid it I just let it sleep instead of shutting down.

Here are a couple of screenshots from the updae page:

WinUpdate1.png
WinUpdate2.png

If anything, I'll attempt a Win11 update this weekend

It originally came with Win8 (along with Toshiba's typical bloatware) and over time it would try to force me to update to Win8.1, which would always cause issues.

I'd lose a lot of key features key features and it would slow down the entire system quite a bit.

Stuff like the BlueRay Burner, 3D webcams, 3D glasses and basic keys on the keyboard would stop working and I'd have to work my way through a labyrinth of driver updates to get them back, but they were never really fully functional as they once were.

When I got fed up with it, I'd just do a fresh system restore back to the original Win8 and it ran perfectly fine again with lightning speeds until the next forced update.

This went on for years and years until finally sometime in 2020 my C: drive caught Covid and it was no longer able to do a system restore.

Ended up doing a fresh Win10 install and after a bit of running around looking for drivers, I got it running fine.

Some of the cool stuff if came with still don't work as it should, but I can't say I have much use for 3D and BlueRay burners nowadays, so no big deal.

It would run fine for my current use of a video editing machine until it forces me to do these damn updates, which randomly holds me up during start up, so to avoid it I just let it sleep instead of shutting down.

Here are a couple of screenshots from the updae page:

View attachment 428504View attachment 428505

If anything, I'll attempt a Win11 update this weekend
the toshiba stuff could cause it too and i have run into it on a clients Qosmio. try disabling all the extra background stuff and a/v, then i would manually update 10 using the update/media creation tool instead of windows update.

the toshiba stuff could cause it too and i have run into it on a clients Qosmio. try disabling all the extra background stuff and a/v, then i would manually update 10 using the update/media creation tool instead of windows update.

As you know from my other posts, I'm a puter idjit :confused:

Step by step?

As you know from my other posts, I'm a puter idjit :confused:

Step by step?
what do you mean step by step? its not rocket surgery.
1: uninstall any 3rd party antivirus you might have.
2: use task manager to disable everything else.
3: go to microsoft and download the update or media creation tool and use that.

what do you mean step by step? its not rocket surgery.
1: uninstall any 3rd party antivirus you might have.
2: use task manager to disable everything else.
3: go to microsoft and download the update or media creation tool and use that.

See, this is how bad I am....

When you said "a/v", I assumed it had something to do with some kinda Audio/Video app (f@ck)

I don't have any 3rd party anti-virus stuff, only windows defender and I can't seem to find it in task manager.

I do see an "Antimalware Service Executable" process that sometimes hogs some resources, but I'm never able to end that task

screenshotTaskManager.png

Anyways, I downloaded the media creation tool, but going by the instructions, it appears that I would use this if I were upgrading from Win7 or Win8 to Win10

WindowsCreatorTool.png

I haven't tried clicking on "upgrade" just yet cause I have a feeling I'm on the wrong page or sumthin

I just don't want it to try to reinstall Win10 when all I want to do is update what I have

ok on a/v. anything else running? click the up arrow on the taskbar.
there is an update tool and that media creation tool both should bring you 10 up to date.

ok on a/v. anything else running? click the up arrow on the taskbar.
there is an update tool and that media creation tool both should bring you 10 up to date.

Nothing else running on task bar

Only things that show anything percentage wise are the things I'm using (touchpad, taskbar, etc.)

The media creation tool gives me the option to "upgrade"

When I click on it, it starts downloading Windows 10

Doesn't say anything about updating

20220106_043013.jpg
20220106_043028.jpg
20220106_043052.jpg
20220106_043111.jpg
20220106_043754.jpg

Gunna let it download/run and see what happens

Nothing else running on task bar

Only things that show anything percentage wise are the things I'm using (touchpad, taskbar, etc.)

The media creation tool gives me the option to "upgrade"

When I click on it, it starts downloading Windows 10

Doesn't say anything about updating

View attachment 428858View attachment 428859View attachment 428860View attachment 428861View attachment 428862

Gunna let it download/run and see what happens
well it is upgrading the version...

Well, this didnt last long lol

Touchpad keeps freezing on me every 5 seconds or so

Adjusted sensitivity in settings, but no real change (updates always f@ck sumthin up)

And after clicking on check for updates, it started downloading new ones (even though it said it was up to date just recently)

neverending

updatesavilableshit.png

Well, this didnt last long lol

Touchpad keeps freezing on me every 5 seconds or so

Adjusted sensitivity in settings, but no real change (updates always f@ck sumthin up)

And after clicking on check for updates, it started downloading new ones (even though it said it was up to date just recently)

neverending

View attachment 428900
good and figures...
use an external mouse and then rollback the touchpad drivers in device manager. if you cant do that, uninstall it and remove the driver, then rescan for hardware changes and see if that sorts it out.

Even though it’s hard on old hardware to be patient, it’s still sometimes the answer.

Often times current versions of Windows update in the background and install drivers etc, without telling you or making it apparent. So you wonder why it seems glitchy or like there are hiccups. It’s usually a process going on you are unaware of. Usually waiting a bit before resetting does the trick.

OK, so now I have another problem lol

When I try to read a few files on my D: drive, I get a pop up that says "D:\file is not accessible.......The file or directory is corrupted and unreadible"

Some files work, others don't o_O

I've learned over the years to store the major stuff on my D: drive because in the event that I had to do a system restore, whatever was on my C: drive would get wiped

I do have most of it backed up on external drives, but what can I do to save this one?

OK, so now I have another problem lol

When I try to read a few files on my D: drive, I get a pop up that says "D:\file is not accessible.......The file or directory is corrupted and unreadible"

Some files work, others don't o_O

I've learned over the years to store the major stuff on my D: drive because in the event that I had to do a system restore, whatever was on my C: drive would get wiped

I do have most of it backed up on external drives, but what can I do to save this one?
what files

Ok, ran the chkdsk thing overnight and now some of the files that were giving me errors are now missing altogether :confused:

firstrunchkdsk.png
chkdistwo.png

Download CrystalDiskInfo and see what it says about the drive. Assuming it reports the number of reallocated sectors or current pending sectors, see how many it reports and keep checking it regularly to see if that value increases over time. If it only reports a couple, then it could be a one-time thing. If it reports more than a handful, then your drive is probably toast.

https://osdn.net/projects/crystaldiskinfo/downloads/76462/CrystalDiskInfo8_13_3.exe/

it says bad clusters found in the scan, it wasnt the update. keep an eye on that drive.
A failing disk could also explain update problems and slow performance.

I just replace any disk that has bad sectors showing up at the OS level. Hard drives have spare sectors they remap failing sectors to internally so they're not visible to the OS but will show up in disk utilities that actually query the drive for its status. If they show up at the OS level that means the disk wasn't capable of hiding them. It's possible the drive will keep working for some time, but you're risking a lot of aggravation.

A failing disk could also explain update problems and slow performance.

I just replace any disk that has bad sectors showing up at the OS level. Hard drives have spare sectors they remap failing sectors to internally so they're not visible to the OS but will show up in disk utilities that actually query the drive for its status. If they show up at the OS level that means the disk wasn't capable of hiding them. It's possible the drive will keep working for some time, but you're risking a lot of aggravation.
yes but thats not the updates fault, which was my point.
hence, "keep an eye on it" his call if he wants to replace it.

Back