Win10... Unending Blue Screens.

Halasham

n00b
Sorry if this is the wrong page for this, first time posting.
I'm not great when it comes to understanding much about my PC and right now I just know that it's giving me blue screens at an exceptionally frustrating frequency and I don't know how to make them stop. I'll try to break down everything to be as clear and concise as possible.
I don't know the hardware specs. I could find what product I bought from the company I got it from but if there's a simpler way please let me know.

I'm running the Windows 10 OS and this PC has been running since I bought it.

I'm unsure of the computers exact age (I'm horrible with keeping track of time) but I remember Win10 was pretty new when I got it.

The PC has experienced heavy use since I got it and is primarily used for gaming.

I play a MUD using Zmud, a client made for Windows XP. It's been working largely without issue for years but I felt it was worth mentioning in case of some sort of software insanity.

Most of the lifespan of this PC I've been using Norton antivirus. As some point in trying to fix this problem myself I realized Windows Defender had been active the entire time as well and I've disabled Norton.

No idea if it's related or not but my browser, Firefox, has occasionally crashed starting around the same time I started getting this issue with the whole PC blue screening.

Here's the Blue Screens (in order I've received them):
Kernal Security Check Failure
System Thread Exception Not Handled
Page Fault in Nonpage Area
Faulty Hardware Corrupted Page (twice in a row)
System Thread Exception Not Handled (for the second time)
Bad Pool Header
Critical Process Died
System Service Exception

This sounds like memory- try Memtest86 and see what it comes up with. There should also be a test available in Windows 10.

Now move on to Memtest86+. From what I gather, memory has to be pretty broken to fail the Windows test, but it's worth testing with since it's all you had at the time.

Alright, ran Memtest86. I don't think it found anything.

Here's the report:
Test Start Time: 2019-07-22 22:37:22
Elapsed Time: 6:10:01
CPUs Active: 1
# Tests Passed: 48/48 (100%)
Lowest Test Error: N/A
Highest Test Error: N/A
Bits in Error Mask: 0000000000
Bits in Error-Total: 0 Min: 0 Max: 0 Avg: 0
Max Continuous Errors: 0

Was the test suppose to take six hours?

Sorry if this is the wrong page for this, first time posting.
I'm not great when it comes to understanding much about my PC and right now I just know that it's giving me blue screens at an exceptionally frustrating frequency and I don't know how to make them stop. I'll try to break down everything to be as clear and concise as possible.
I don't know the hardware specs. I could find what product I bought from the company I got it from but if there's a simpler way please let me know.

I'm running the Windows 10 OS and this PC has been running since I bought it.

I'm unsure of the computers exact age (I'm horrible with keeping track of time) but I remember Win10 was pretty new when I got it.

The PC has experienced heavy use since I got it and is primarily used for gaming.

I play a MUD using Zmud, a client made for Windows XP. It's been working largely without issue for years but I felt it was worth mentioning in case of some sort of software insanity.

Most of the lifespan of this PC I've been using Norton antivirus. As some point in trying to fix this problem myself I realized Windows Defender had been active the entire time as well and I've disabled Norton.

No idea if it's related or not but my browser, Firefox, has occasionally crashed starting around the same time I started getting this issue with the whole PC blue screening.

Here's the Blue Screens (in order I've received them):
Kernal Security Check Failure
System Thread Exception Not Handled
Page Fault in Nonpage Area
Faulty Hardware Corrupted Page (twice in a row)
System Thread Exception Not Handled (for the second time)
Bad Pool Header
Critical Process Died
System Service Exception

What are your system specs? This will help a lot.

Other thoughts from personal experience: Page Faults can be tied to a failing hard drive (and the paging file/area).
-If it's mechanical, you can test that easily.
-If it's an SSD, it can be tested for (doesn't always yield anything in my experience tho). However, more than likely you will start receiving all manner of odd errors on failing SSD's including frequent BSODs. I have had several fail on me due to exceeding the TBW limits and failing memory chips.

What are your system specs? This will help a lot.
OS Name: Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version: 10.0.17134 Build 17134
System Name: DESKTOP-QJ6VNEL
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model: To be filled by O.E.M.
System Type: x64-based PC
System SKU: To be filled by O.E.M.
Processor: AMD FX(tm)-6300 Six-Core Processor, 3500Mhx, 3 Core(s), 6 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date: American Megatrends Inc. FD, 2/26/2016
SMBIOS Version: 2.7
Embedded Controller Version: 225.255
BIOS Mode: UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
BaseBoard Model: Not Available
BaseBoard Name: Base Board

If you need more let me know what and where to find it. Thanks.

OS Name: Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version: 10.0.17134 Build 17134
System Name: DESKTOP-QJ6VNEL
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model: To be filled by O.E.M.
System Type: x64-based PC
System SKU: To be filled by O.E.M.
Processor: AMD FX(tm)-6300 Six-Core Processor, 3500Mhx, 3 Core(s), 6 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date: American Megatrends Inc. FD, 2/26/2016
SMBIOS Version: 2.7
Embedded Controller Version: 225.255
BIOS Mode: UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
BaseBoard Model: Not Available
BaseBoard Name: Base Board

If you need more let me know what and where to find it. Thanks.
Yeah, that just gives me context for what platform you are running on. What I need to know is what the underlying hardware is that your Operating System sits on (the HDD). Are you running Windows on a mechanical hard drive, a Solid State Drive? Is it running in IDE mode, AHCI or RAID? (This information, more than the following is what I'm after)

Have you swept the system for malware lately? Download Malwarebytes and do the free trial if not, that might clean up a myriad of issues. Windows Defender is decent, might even be better than Norton depending upon your use case. I have never had any luck with Norton, always found it to rather invasive and hoggish on resources. However, if you are using comcast as a service you might want to look into the free suite of internet protection software from Norton they provide to you annually at no cost. It's just a thought. Most of the larger ISP's provide some sort of antivirus / antimalware service. Others not so much.

The OS is on a HDD and it's running IDE. I got the Malwarebytes free trial and it found 24 threats and put them in quarantine. They're mostly Folders, Registry Keys, and Files.
The names of all but one start with PUP.Optional. with the remaining being Adware.WebCompass. This stuff can all be deleted without, likely, causing any issues, right?

The errors does make me think RAM, even though it does past memtest. It's possible the RAM is misconfigured rather then failed; check the BIOS/UEFI settings and make sure the RAM speed/timings are configured properly.

Okay, I found the memory check that Win10 has and ran it. I don't have a USB drive handy or I'd have done that too (can get one if you think it'd help).
I followed the instructions I found here: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-check-your-pc-memory-problems-windows-10 Pretty sure I ran a basic test.
The result was: The Windows Memory Diagnostic tested the computer's memory and detected no errors

windows built in memmory test is literally useless
it will do 4 hours of testing and claim the memmory ok on memmroy windows cant even load on
heck it will even pass the memmroy for over 4 hours on emmroy that so bad graphical errors is on the screen from even before starting the test.

it is absolut crap

The OS is on a HDD and it's running IDE. I got the Malwarebytes free trial and it found 24 threats and put them in quarantine. They're mostly Folders, Registry Keys, and Files.
The names of all but one start with PUP.Optional. with the remaining being Adware.WebCompass. This stuff can all be deleted without, likely, causing any issues, right?
You never really know

i would try to run a nsfc /scannow and chkdsk c: just to check for data corruption in windows

but i would advise to run a cpu test first ( prime95 small ftt for at least 60 mins)

I agree, it's possible the RAM is misconfigured, review that do speed/timings are configured properly.

Back