Win10 Pro drivers needed for Gigabyte EP45-UD3R

SBMongoos

[H]ard|Gawd
My USB connections look very slow. When I transfer files I have the windows open that shows the transfer speed and it's pretty bad. When I look at the driver dates they all appear to be from 2006.

I believe my mb is v1.1. Anyone have an idea where I can get drivers for my EP45-UD3R that will work with Win10 Pro and improve the USB performance?

In terms of drivers, it makes more sense to just install the generic Intel drivers. They are almost always more up to date than the drivers found on the motherboard manufacturer's web page.

Intel Chipset drivers: Download Intel® Chipset Device Software (INF Update Utility)
Intel Storage/Raid/RST drivers: Download Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) RAID Driver

You can also see if there are other Intel drivers that are relevant for your system: Intel® Driver Update Utility

If that doesn't fix your issues, then tell us more about the USB ports that are giving you problems. Are they USB 2.0 or are they USB 3.0? Intel or 3rd party controller? What speeds are you getting when transferring files, and what speeds are you expecting to get?

In terms of drivers, it makes more sense to just install the generic Intel drivers. They are almost always more up to date than the drivers found on the motherboard manufacturer's web page.

Intel Chipset drivers: Download Intel® Chipset Device Software (INF Update Utility)
Intel Storage/Raid/RST drivers: Download Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) RAID Driver

You can also see if there are other Intel drivers that are relevant for your system: Intel® Driver Update Utility

If that doesn't fix your issues, then tell us more about the USB ports that are giving you problems. Are they USB 2.0 or are they USB 3.0? Intel or 3rd party controller? What speeds are you getting when transferring files, and what speeds are you expecting to get?

See attached image. Anything listed here is using a driver from 2006. I'm expecting to get at least USB 2.0 speeds. The PC has USB 2.0 and my BENQ monitor as USB 3.0. But Speeds start okay but typically drop down to 45-300kb or so I believe. Deleting files from USB devices is also slow but better - also starts out okay but continually drops in speed. In Win7 Pro speeds were much better.

Error on chipset and the Driver Update Utility install...

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 46
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
That new chipset driver package is NOT going to work for the P45 chipset.

Go here: Drivers & Software

Select either the chipset or a motherboard with the P45 chipset and then download the latest set for Windows 7 and install it.

The newer RST driver will not work either, but there should be a newer version than the one one the Gigabyte download page.

I'm not finding P45 of the ICH10 as an option. Also, this is for Windows 10.

I'm not finding P45 of the ICH10 as an option. Also, this is for Windows 10.

For the chipset, any of the "45" series would work.. driver is going to be the same for all.

However, I went to the motherboards section and found one with the P45 chipset.

Here is the direct link to the latest chipset driver for the P45 chipset.
Download Chipset: Intel® Chipset Device Software for Discontinued Intel® Desktop Boards
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/do...scontinued-Intel-Desktop-Boards?product=34683
It is not specified for Windows 10, but it will work no problems. For the most part, Windows 7 or higher driver sets will work with Windows 10.

I installed the INF_allOS_9.1.2.1008_PV.exe without errors. Didn't reboot until this a.m. However, when I look in device manager I'm not seeing driver updates where I thought I would. Anything under USB Controllers still have driver dates of 2006. Maybe I misunderstood. Are there any other drivers I can install for this mb running Windows 10 Pro that would help system performance (running a Samsung 850 EVO).

Thanks for the help!

I have that same board, it's too old for Gigabyte to add newer drivers for 10 due to many of those boards are long dead/gone.

Might be best off installing 10 and then going into the settings and hitting update driver and let 10 find them for you.
In fact many might actually install while you are installing 10.

I installed 10 on that board without issue.

The only driver I actually downloaded was the latest Realtek AC889 I recall driver.

In order to get better SSD speeds you need to update the Intel ROM and for that you need a custom newer bios which I flashed.
You generally do not want to stray too far away from what the ROM number is, the last bios only updated to 11XX or so.

If you go with F12 the last and best matching would be 12.9.1000.
I'd have to check but I think 10 pro installed 13xx as the system was setup in raid for a pair of hdd.
Don't have any issues but they are not the OS drive or running SSD's either.

I used F12 mod without issue for well over a year now.

1. Intel 12.7.0.1936
2. Realtek 2.56
3. JMicron 1.07.28
4. Latest Microcode Updates

This is not a official bios but one that was updated/modified

GIGABYTE Modified Bios

I have that same board, it's too old for Gigabyte to add newer drivers for 10 due to many of those boards are long dead/gone.

Might be best off installing 10 and then going into the settings and hitting update driver and let 10 find them for you.
In fact many might actually install while you are installing 10.

In order to get better SSD speeds you need to update the Intel ROM and for that you need a custom newer bios which I flashed.
You generally do not want to stray too far away from what the ROM number is, the last bios only updated to 11XX or so.

If you go with F12 the last and best matching would be 12.9.1000.
I'd have to check but I think 10 pro installed 13xx as the system was setup in raid for a pair of hdd.
Don't have any issues but they are not the OS drive or running SSD's either.

This is not a official bios but one that was updated/modified

GIGABYTE Modified Bios

I completed a clean install with this mb and using the Samsung 850 EVO some time ago.

When attempting to update the drivers I've referenced it says the best are installed already.

When you refer to the Intel ROM are you referencing the Gigabyte BIOS? I have the latest F12 from Gigabyte. How would the F12 mod help me (so I'm clear).

The F12 mod updates the Intel ROM to a newer version after the last official by Gigabyte as they abandoned this board.
Gigabyte certainly could have updated the bios to say F13 but after a few years they figure it's not worth their effort, out of support.
NO idea what fixes or updates are in a newer Intel ROM but it should not hurt to have one fresher then from 2010.

So, install the EP45-UD3R F12 MOD BIOS update and then this should improve my SSD performance? Also, doesn't sound like I'll be able to do any better with updating any of the system drivers for Win 10 after this BIOS mod install. I've been overclocking my PC since I originally built with this mb. I would imagine this BIOS mod may mess up my overclocking.

I installed the INF_allOS_9.1.2.1008_PV.exe without errors. Didn't reboot until this a.m. However, when I look in device manager I'm not seeing driver updates where I thought I would. Anything under USB Controllers still have driver dates of 2006. Maybe I misunderstood. Are there any other drivers I can install for this mb running Windows 10 Pro that would help system performance (running a Samsung 850 EVO).

Thanks for the help!

As long as you are not seeing anything with exclamation mars in Device Manager, then you are fine. The built in drivers for Windows should work just fine.

If you really want to update all the drivers possible, then run the chipset driver installer from an admin command line like this:
infinst_autol.exe -OVERALL

The other option is to run the installer normally, and then go find the temp directory in appdata where it extracted all the files to before you exit the installer, copy that folder to somewhere else and then go and update each driver manually through device manager, pointing it to the folder where the extracted driver files are.

So, install the EP45-UD3R F12 MOD BIOS update and then this should improve my SSD performance? Also, doesn't sound like I'll be able to do any better with updating any of the system drivers for Win 10 after this BIOS mod install. I've been overclocking my PC since I originally built with this mb. I would imagine this BIOS mod may mess up my overclocking.

Maybe not, it will update the intel ROM so you can user new Intel drivers but as for what it might improve it's hard to say.
Gigabyte has backup bios or you can make a copy, try it and if it you don't see improvements then just go back to official F12.

Can't remember why I used the mod version but I seem to recall it had something to do with trim as 2010 SSD's were not really around.

Yes the Win10 drivers do work. However, USB transfers are quite slow. Which is why I started this thread. Got me thinking about other speeds as well.

I've deployed Windows 10 x64 to nearly 1000 systems so far, most of which are Core 2 Duo machines based on Intel 3 and 4 series chipsets. I have never manually installed any drivers to these systems and none of them (even the systems using Pentium D CPUs and 945 chipsets) have problems with writing slowly to USB.

What flash drive are you using, and what kind of files are you writing to it? Small files copy stupidly slow, especially to a slower flash drive.

Just to note the EP45 only had USB 2.0 so even if you are have a 3.0 stick it's only running at 2.0.

If you want more speed get a pcie 3.0 adapter card, that is what I did.
Even with the card you won't see top speed like native 3.0 will give you but it's better then 2.0

Asrock and mediasonic make some two port pcie x4 USB 3.1 cards.

The MSI 3.0 card I bought a few years ago appears discontinued.
I've had zero issues with it.

Don't forget, old board drivers are not generally supported for newer OS'es due to costs. Makes no sense to invest money improving drivers for new OS'es being use on old discontinued boards.

Ex: using a current Sandisk USB 3 and I'm transferring about 854Mb from SSD to this Sandisk and it show's a transfer rate of 1.05MBs and it fluctuates up and down, mostly down. I should be able to transfer a Gig pretty quickly but this is taking about 10 minutes or so. This is using the default Win10 drivers and the PC has USB 2 and the monitor has USB 3 but, of course, connected to USB 2 at the PC.

Last edited:
I've deployed Windows 10 x64 to nearly 1000 systems so far, most of which are Core 2 Duo machines based on Intel 3 and 4 series chipsets. I have never manually installed any drivers to these systems and none of them (even the systems using Pentium D CPUs and 945 chipsets) have problems with writing slowly to USB.

What flash drive are you using, and what kind of files are you writing to it? Small files copy stupidly slow, especially to a slower flash drive.

Using a Sandisk 3.0. Standards USB on one side and micro on the other so it can be used with cell phones. Just tried to transfer 850Mb and it took about 12 minutes.

Using a Sandisk 3.0. Standards USB on one side and micro on the other so it can be used with cell phones. Just tried to transfer 850Mb and it took about 12 minutes.
What size are the files? How quickly do they copy on another system with USB 2.0?

What size are the files? How quickly do they copy on another system with USB 2.0?

Sizes very a lot from quite small to quite a few Mb. Starts out at about 27Mb and then drops down to ~1Mb. When this PC was running Win7 this Sandisk USB 3 device was quite fast.

Sizes very a lot from quite small to quite a few Mb. Starts out at about 27Mb and then drops down to ~1Mb. When this PC was running Win7 this Sandisk USB 3 device was quite fast.

Okay, are you running this directly connected to the USB port on the motherboard, or through the USB hub on the monitor? I'd take any hubs out of the equation before calling this a driver issue.

But it sounds like your USB is running at 1.0 speed (12mbps).

Okay, are you running this directly connected to the USB port on the motherboard, or through the USB hub on the monitor? I'd take any hubs out of the equation before calling this a driver issue.

But it sounds like your USB is running at 1.0 speed (12mbps).

Both. Previously on Win7 I had good speeds wherever I plugged in. I did notice the USB 3 on the monitor was faster with USB 3 thumb drives (connected to USB 2 on mb). Either direct, monitor or on face plate of desktop PC.

Last edited:
Just did a search for USB 2 not working at full speed, and got this suggestion:

USB 2.0 not working right! - Page 4 - Windows 7

That is supposedly a tool that gets around Windows not loading high speed USB drivers.

Also, if that thread can't help, you could verify the ports are still high-speed capable by loading a Linux live cd and testing the same copy.

Just did a search for USB 2 not working at full speed, and got this suggestion:

USB 2.0 not working right! - Page 4 - Windows 7

That is supposedly a tool that gets around Windows not loading high speed USB drivers.

Also, if that thread can't help, you could verify the ports are still high-speed capable by loading a Linux live cd and testing the same copy.

You might be onto something. I don't mess with this sort of thing really so any feedback would be helpful on what to look for and to do. The capture includes anything USB. See image:
Capture.JPG

Back