Win10 PC shares accessible but doesnt appear in the Network List/Explorer

daglesj

Supreme [H]ardness
Guys,

Looking for some guidance here. Got a setup with around 6 laptops and PCs. All Windows 10. They all sit on the same wired network.

5 Machines appear on each others network page including all the printers and settop boxes/NAS etc.

But one machine sees all the others but isn't seen by them. However the shares that were setup a while ago on the machine still work. So it can be seen...kinda.

For clarification -

All on Windows 10 but this machine is on 1809. Yes sharing and network visibility is set to on. All on Private network. ESET AV is running on all machines.

I'm betting its a silly tick on the box or a service not firing up. It's like the machine is hidden from the network mapping in Windows.

Any suggestions? I'm not there on site so can't go looking so just general ideas please.

General advice - get used to that. Use shortcuts to other machines instead of relying on dynamically enumerating them in Network.
You'll receive a lot of advices and workarounds and stuff.
But I (not only)'ve fought with this for decades and there is no reliable way to always make Windows populate reliably the Network node with all machines, no matter how carefully you set things up. "Now" it might seem to work, but "tomorrow" it'll "lose" some machines, the next day they'll appear but it'll lose others etc.
In the very end, few months ago I just disabled SMB1/CIFS in programs and features on every machine with security reasons in mind, so this effectively also disabled all enumerating of machines and I use shortcuts to other machines and am fine. One annoyance less when working with Windows.

Yeah it's not an issue for me but the person who's setup it is keep on moaning about it. A week will go by and the machine sits on the network then it will drop off, it can see everything but the others can't etc. etc.

I would rebuild it...but it's the accounts machine for this person so he won't allow that.

Back