Win10 desktop/gaming lag (solved)

vandexa1

n00b
I'm currently experiencing issues with Win10 Anniversary Edition becoming laggy af but instead of wasting your time trying to diagnose it I thought I would reverse the process a bit for everyone's benefit with the hope of determining the root of the problem.

The Issue:
I built a new PC and installed a fresh copy of Win10 Anniversary Edition from a thumbdrive onto an SSD. As one typically does I began to install all my apps afterwards beginning with my Antivirus of course. Installed primary apps, drivers, updates, etc at the beginning but slowly installed the rest of non critical apps in the following days. At first all seemed great but recently noticed that the responsiveness of the desktop was terrible. Dragging windows around was really laggy and any graphical type of thing in windows including launching apps had significant lag and stuttering.

The Hardware
i5-6600K
ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 G1 Gaming
Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4 @ 3200
128GB Vertex 4 SSD (boot)
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
4TB storage

What I've Tried
I needed to rule out the hardware components so I tested each accordingly and all checked out. I also set everything to stock clocks. I have determined that while the PC is loading all the background apps during Windows startup everything is really really speedy. About 20 seconds after everything appears to have loaded something loads that instantly kills performance around Windows in general. Dragging windows around is really laggy and seems like 5fps, Win Explorer takes several seconds to load, etc. You can just imagine what gaming experience is like. Super slow starts, sudden drops in FPS, etc. I've began turning back to older drivers, uninstall programs that I thought were suspect one by one, I'm down to just a few programs and I can't narrow it down.

Next Step
I've decided instead to reinstall windows and install apps one at a time until I can duplicate the problem. Hopefully it just goes away but If I do find the culprit I'll post an update so as to help others in the same situation. If all goes well I'll post that too.

UPDATE Solution
It turned out to be ASUS Suite III. I had uninstalled this prior to reformatting but it appears to be hard coded at that point. I reinstalled Win10 and when I got to the point of installing the ASUS Suite III it immediately displayed the symptoms. Reinstalled Win10 again this time left it out and all is good. I was using it mostly for the fan control but got turned on to SpeedFan when is terrific. I'm not sure if this is Windows 10 related but I'm guessing its a compatibility issue with it.

The Gigabyte software suite does the same thing to me. Nothing it offers can't be done using other third-party software, so it's not a huge loss.

Back