Win10 April Update is Smashing...I Meant Crashing...Sorry

Are People really that stupid?

No, it was to prevent all the Windows 10 telemetry updates from being installed into Windows 7. I switched to manually reviewing the updates before downloading them so as to avoid that nonsense. At least, that is my take on it.

I think people are stupid to leave them as automatic.

No, it was to prevent all the Windows 10 telemetry updates from being installed into Windows 7. I switched to manually reviewing the updates before downloading them so as to avoid that nonsense. At least, that is my take on it.

I think people are stupid to leave them as automatic.

Couldn't disagree more.

All updates should be installed the second they are available. Any instability is a small price to pay to make sure that all security updates are up to date.

IMHO, there ought to be a hidden firewall in the kernel that blocks all network access except Windows Update unless a system has ALL patches installed, and disables network access completely once an OS is no longer supported with security patches.

Security above ALL else, no matter what, no exceptions.

This is why we have botnets.

This is why we can't have nice things.

Last edited:
I agree about the security updates, but the telemetry updates do not have a thing to do with security. They can impact performance, in a negative way.

Now, if Microsoft would properly categorize updates and then allow category choices, then I would agree with you, but as long as they shove updates into systems which have no bearing on security, then I think leaving updates on automatic is a bad idea.

And no update is worth bricking a computer over.

Of course not. But how often does that really happen without some recovery process? If it's really that important then make a backup. Beyond updates systems fail, drives go bad, malware hits. If an update does on an off chance brick a system and you're screwed, lost programs and data, you're open to many other failures that have nothing to do with updates.

It is not about being able to recover. It is about having to explain to management why that employee is not working.

I'll stick with my "test first, install later" philosophy. It has served me well and has resulted in zero downtime. Oh, and nothing bad has happened in all the years I have been doing it, but that is just part of managing those systems.

Again, if Microsoft would separate those security updates from the other garbage, then it would make life a lot easier.

How do you do link aggregation?

I ran into this problem already in November 2015 (If I remember properly)

Apparently Windows 10 - unlike it's predecessors - was never supposed to have link aggregation support, so Microsoft pulled it, either in Threshold 2 in November 2015, or in the first Anniversary update. I can't remember anymore.

Microsoft considers this a server only feature now.

At that point both the integrated software link aggregation AND link aggregation direct via Intel's drivers ceased working for me.

There's a rather long and heated thread about this in Intel's support forums from back in 2015 when it stopped working here.

Did you just not update With does 10 for a long time? Or maybe you just didn't notice it wasn't working until now?

I spent way more time than I care to admit trying to find a workaround for this, but never succeeded. Eventually I gave after I found a couple of 10G Base-T Intel NIC's reasonably priced on eBay, and used them for a direct line from my desktop to my NAS, and continued using a single gigabit port for all other network traffic.
Wait what? Fuck i didn't know that? It's a feature within my Intel pro set drivers on my board. I had no idea about that but now I'm pretty pissed off.

I agree about the security updates, but the telemetry updates do not have a thing to do with security. They can impact performance, in a negative way.

Now, if Microsoft would properly categorize updates and then allow category choices, then I would agree with you, but as long as they shove updates into systems which have no bearing on security, then I think leaving updates on automatic is a bad idea.

I guess I agree here as well, but differ slightly.
I couldn't care less about whether or not people opt out of feature updates. That's none of my business.

But as you point out, Microsoft does a shit job of categorizing them and documenting what is in them, and because in many cases security and feature updates are often bundled together, or poorly documented so you don't know what you are getting, the only rational choice is to install them all immediately to make absolutely sure you don't miss anything security related.

Are People really that stupid?
It was common in the personal tech world to have people turn off updates so they wouldn't break things. Plus, if you remember, pretty much every "BIG" virus or malware exploit reported on was something that only affected unpatched machines, but were infecting hundreds of millions of systems. So, the answer is, yes.

It was common in the personal tech world to have people turn off updates so they wouldn't break things. Plus, if you remember, pretty much every "BIG" virus or malware exploit reported on was something that only affected unpatched machines, but were infecting hundreds of millions of systems. So, the answer is, yes.

Patches do not fix stupid though. Virtually all patches come after-the-fact, so infections happen. Stupid things like leaving all the ports open, for asynchronous connections, at the networks edge is still being done. Most networks, I see have, have not made any effort to mitigate the delivery mechanisms most bad paylods use. Stupid.

Yes, if you make the choice to disable auto-updates, then you also have to accept the responsibility of checking each update and deploying it within a reasonable time period. I do mine in less than 24 hours.

There have been a few times I wrote a replacement for an update because Microsoft was doing something slimy in a security update. You cannot trust Microsoft anymore than you can trust a virus creator.

This issue is driving me crazy.
Can't access the shared PC's on my network now by clicking on the names, all the machines can see the Plex server, Plex server can see HAL-9000 sometimes. No machine can access HAL-X100.
The thing is, I can access any machine from any other by using \\IP address, but not by clicking on the PC's name in the Network folder.
I had zero issues before the 1803 update.

network-issue.jpg

^^ That’s all part of the removing of Homegroup. You’ll have to re-set things up older-school. There’s ‘require password’ settings and a few others that’ll need to be changed.

Interesting wallpaper.

For me worked great for a week, then I couldn't suddenly start windows (only a loading symbol showed up but it wouldn't continue). Startup repair couldn't do anything so had to revert back to previous version of windows so back to 1709. :eek: I guess that's the kind of beta experience we're going to get from now on.

^^ That’s all part of the removing of Homegroup. You’ll have to re-set things up older-school. There’s ‘require password’ settings and a few others that’ll need to be changed.

Interesting wallpaper.

I wasn't using Homegroup and I have it set to password required since only I want to access the machines so I have the same username and password on all of my machines.
On a machine that I haven't accessed any shared PC's, I get the username and password pop-up when I access them, but only if I use the \\IP address, I get that Windows cannot access error if I click on the PC itself.

I tried a bunch of things yesterday for a few hours trying to get it to work properly but no success.

Back