Win10 April Update is Smashing...I Meant Crashing...Sorry

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
If you have "some Intel SSDs" in your system, you might have already figured out that upgrading to Windows 10 April 2018 may not be a a good call as you have gotten stuck in a boot loop or that your system crashes repeatedly. On the upside Microsoft is very aware of this and now blocking these systems from the software update. Little detail is given, but if I had to guess, the name Optane is being held back for our own safety. Thanks cageymaru.
When attempting to upgrade to Window 10 April 2018 Update select devices with certain Intel SSDs may enter a UEFI screen reboot or crash repeatedly.

Microsoft is currently blocking some Intel SSDs from installing the April 2018 Update due to a known incompatibility that may cause performance and stability issues. There is no workaround for this issue. If you have encountered this issue, you can roll back to Windows 10, version 1709 and wait for the resolution before attempting to install the April 2018 Update again.

Microsoft is currently working on a solution that will be provided in a near future Windows Update, after which these devices will be able to install the April 2018 Update.

Update: Intel is now suggesting that this only applies to Intel 600P and Pro-6000 SSD models.

Last edited:
I'm guessing this was blocked on my home PC. Although, I think I'm past version 1709 and its working. I'll have to check when I get home.

I've had problems with Intel SSDs in my environment. I only install Samsung now. The April update fixes some issues with our ERP system too, so hopefully this gets all squared away soon.

I have two Intel 160GB G2 in Raid 0 and I cannot install the update. I will go through then on reboot it will just freeze at the load screen.

Last failed install attempt on ‎4/‎26/‎2018 - 0xc1900101

Funny enough I do have a 750 1.2TB drive but its for a new build which I haven't started and is still in the box.

On a happier note, 2 of my very very old ssd’s are still working great.

OCZ summit 128gig.

Yea, am fucking astonished aswell.

Wonder if the rest of my samsung and corsair ssd’s will last aslong ???

This year has been exceedingly bad for Microsoft update reliability.. Maybe this new release cycle is just too much for them.

I'd love to know the actual failure rates. In three years of running Windows 10 I've not had any catastrophic issues across a dozen devices that go through the automatic patches and feature updates. That's probably the case with the overwhelming majority of folks. But even if the failure rate is 1%, when you dealing will hundreds of millions of devices, 1% is still millions of issue.

Funny enough I do have a 750 1.2TB drive but its for a new build which I haven't started and is still in the box.

Great drive, been running Windows 10 on it for two years, no problems.

3 separate 1709 systems running on Intel 900p Optane drives. All 3 upgraded to 1803 without issue. Fast n happy.

Last nights' update on my work laptop was nice enough to block my ability to RDP into any of my servers until I spent 5 minutes uninstalling the security update. Fun start to the morning.

This year has been exceedingly bad for Microsoft update reliability.. Maybe this new release cycle is just too much for them.
Begs the question what are they doing with all that telemetry data - they swore it's to "make 10 the most reliable windows evarrr" but there's not much evidence of that lately.

Last nights' update on my work laptop was nice enough to block my ability to RDP into any of my servers until I spent 5 minutes uninstalling the security update. Fun start to the morning.
I just went and downloaded the Microsoft RDP client from the web store, I don't know why but it seems to work better especially when connecting to other Win10 or Server 2016 devices.

Build 17661 has padded my wallet nicely due to odd things.

1) Have had multiple complaints about DX9 games just refusing to run (crashes to desktop). This one might be due to an NVidia driver as a new driver also got installed with the update. Not 100% on that one.

2) Also had complaints about any audio capture software trying to capture audio is crashing. This one I isolated to a new USBAUDIO driver installed with the build, but another USBAUDIO driver was left to run as well. Crashing the applications in the driver during an alloc of 4K of memory. Presumably a capture buffer.

Rolling back got everyone back online and running.

Have not run into any SSD failures, yet.

I have a samsung 850 pro, so probably unrelated. The April update has been stuck trying to download the entire month. When I try to download the standalone update and run it just gets stuck checking for updates on the system or something like that. All other updates have failed since that one.

the best thing about all these forced updates is.. BILLABLE HOURS

hahaha

on personal note at home.. i hate them, but man is it great for business as a consultant
DAMNIT! I have upgraded or fresh installed 1803 on a few dozen boxes and have not had a single damn problem. :arghh: Come on Microsoft, throw daddy a bone here, he needs some extra labor so he can upgrade his TV and schtuff. :mad:

I have some W10 machines that don't get a lot of use, seems like every time I turn one of them on it has a huge update queued up.

Build 17661 has padded my wallet nicely due to odd things.

1) Have had multiple complaints about DX9 games just refusing to run (crashes to desktop). This one might be due to an NVidia driver as a new driver also got installed with the update. Not 100% on that one.

2) Also had complaints about any audio capture software trying to capture audio is crashing. This one I isolated to a new USBAUDIO driver installed with the build, but another USBAUDIO driver was left to run as well. Crashing the applications in the driver during an alloc of 4K of memory. Presumably a capture buffer.

Rolling back got everyone back online and running.

Have not run into any SSD failures, yet.
17661, as in the insider build 17661? normal consumers/customers should not be running insider if it is...

oh and no issues on any of the systems ive put it on.

I had to install 1803 on a Alienware lately... well, let me correct that... I couldn't. Every time I would go to install it, Microsoft Updater said I had to uninstall "GPU switcher or something. The only workaround was to download a copy of Windows that already had 1803 on it otherwise nothing worked.

17661, as in the insider build 17661? normal consumers/customers should not be running insider if it is...

oh and no issues on any of the systems ive put it on.

Yes, the insider build. Unfortunately there are a lot of people using those who should not be using them.

Have you run into a system using a Razer USBAUDIO driver? I would be curious to know if you saw what I saw with it.

Yes, the insider build. Unfortunately there are a lot of people using those who should not be using them.

Have you run into a system using a Razer USBAUDIO driver? I would be curious to know if you saw what I saw with it.
as long as youre not putting your customers on insider. that wouldn't be cool.
my roommate has a razor man o war 7.1 headset and it seems to be working fine. what probs are you having?

This Windows "mandatory" update, or else no security updates, is bullshit. Fuckyou microsoft

In the past, they would maintain security updates even for old builds. Now EOL is only 1 year, and you have to suffer through super slow massive update that gets stuck on 99%, potentially bricking your pc.

as long as youre not putting your customers on insider. that wouldn't be cool.
my roommate has a razor man o war 7.1 headset and it seems to be working fine. what probs are you having?

I am not putting any customer on an insider build. The morons are doing it themselves and then call me to clean up the mess. I don't mind. Good money. All I can tell them is, "Don't do that!". If they do, then I'll happily take the money.

What I was seeing is the audio capture driver was being replaced by MIcrosoft with an updated USBAUDIO.sys driver, but they were leaving the input USBAUDIO.sys which Razer had installed. Razer should be ashamed for wiping a system driver like that, but I was suprised to see Microsoft not correcting it.

The two drivers were sharing the same IRQ, and it appears one of them was not chained to the interrupt correctly causing a conflict and then crashed the system when the capture driver tried to capture audio.

EDIT: By they way, the quick way to check is to save the DXDIAG output data and view the file. It is pretty easy to see if the drivers are messed up there.

1803 messed up my network sharing.
HAL-X100 can't see any machines in the Network window, only shows itself, but I can type in the other 2 PC's names and then see the network shares.
The other 2 machines only show HAL-X100 in the Network window but can't connect to it.

Everything worked fine yesterday with 1803 on HAL-X100 and 1703 on the other 2 machines.

We always have to reset parameters on most of the systems after a major update, They have always reset everything back to defaults.

Been working on ap program to fix them up so I do not have to spend 10 to 15 minutes, per computer, restoring those settings. I hate "make-work", I am not getting paid for. :)

1803 messed up my network sharing.
HAL-X100 can't see any machines in the Network window, only shows itself, but I can type in the other 2 PC's names and then see the network shares.
The other 2 machines only show HAL-X100 in the Network window but can't connect to it.

Everything worked fine yesterday with 1803 on HAL-X100 and 1703 on the other 2 machines.
that might be because they took out homegroup. if you had "do not require password" for network sharing enabled youll have to turn it back on.

What I was seeing is the audio capture driver was being replaced by MIcrosoft with an updated USBAUDIO.sys driver, but they were leaving the input USBAUDIO.sys which Razer had installed. Razer should be ashamed for wiping a system driver like that, but I was suprised to see Microsoft not correcting it.

The two drivers were sharing the same IRQ, and it appears one of them was not chained to the interrupt correctly causing a conflict and then crashed the system when the capture driver tried to capture audio.

EDIT: By they way, the quick way to check is to save the DXDIAG output data and view the file. It is pretty easy to see if the drivers are messed up there.
as in the mic not working? cause I just double checked with him and he says the sound is fine but mic is dead but not sure when it happened. maybe reinstalling the razor driver will fix it. ill look later.

as in the mic not working? cause I just double checked with him and he says the sound is fine but mic is dead but not sure when it happened. maybe reinstalling the razor driver will fix it. ill look later.

Did you check Settings->Privacy->Microphone->Allow apps to access your microphone?

I have a samsung 850 pro, so probably unrelated. The April update has been stuck trying to download the entire month. When I try to download the standalone update and run it just gets stuck checking for updates on the system or something like that. All other updates have failed since that one.

I just had to fix a system like this, it comes down to uninstall every hand patched update you can see,
reboot
then run a script to reset windows update the hard way
rebot
the let windows update run

let me stick the script in a pastebin, not my work, but so nice. run as admin
https://pastebin.com/raw/4SH5azQz

Source:

Shawn Brink : https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/24742-reset-windows-update-windows-10-a.html

that might be because they took out homegroup. if you had "do not require password" for network sharing enabled youll have to turn it back on.

Maybe related: had a friend get the update and mic was not working in discord. Had to go into microphone settings (in w10) and re-enable it for some reason. Hasn't changed anything lately so we both just assume something in the new update messed with it.

Did you check Settings->Privacy->Microphone->Allow apps to access your microphone?
Maybe related: had a friend get the update and mic was not working in discord. Had to go into microphone settings (in w10) and re-enable it for some reason. Hasn't changed anything lately so we both just assume something in the new update messed with it.
k. it was discord too but windows sound shows nothing. im gonna look at it later, system is in use.

Each time the user keyed the mic the system would crash. The symptom could be different depending on which driver got to the IRQ first. In your case, they may not be using the same IRQ. I could see that, depending on which USB hub they are attached to.

I always wonder what people are doing with their PCs to have these issues. My conclusion is simply PEBKAC on the rise :p

"LOL those dumb users man,
they're such idiots! Why are they updating it wrong? I didn't personally have any issue, so why would anyone else?"

Back