Win XP: accidentally changed iso file to adobe reader file

courtney01

Gawd
I wasn't looking properly at the file I was opening, and while I was trying to open a file that I thought was a pdf, I changed what was actually an iso file to an adobe reader file. Since it obviously wasn't a pdf file, when I double clicked it, it asked how I wanted to open it, and I chose from a list of programs adobe reader and clicked the "always open with this program" option. Now all my iso file icons have changed into the adobe icon and they keep opening adobe reader whenever I double click them. How do I get it back to the original state? And are the files damaged or corrupted when I accidentally changed them to open with adobe reader?

The .iso's are fine, unless you openned them and saved them, which I'm certain adobe reader won't do. I accidently did this with .exe's, and nothing would run, luckily I was able to use programs and features to uninstall the adobe reader. I suggest you do the same, uninstall the adobe software and reinstall it, then everything should work. There are probably other ways, but as a last resort try what I said.

The .iso's are fine, unless you openned them and saved them, which I'm certain adobe reader won't do. I accidently did this with .exe's, and nothing would run, luckily I was able to use programs and features to uninstall the adobe reader. I suggest you do the same, uninstall the adobe software and reinstall it, then everything should work. There are probably other ways, but as a last resort try what I said.

I'll try that. By open and save them, do you mean that I just re-saved them under adobe with the same file name as before? All I did was open the file, and adobe gave a warning that said "couldn't open file because it's not a supported file or damaged". And then I just closed adobe. So there's no possibility I somehow saved it right?

Just change the program that opens the filetype.

In folder options, file types, look for ISO and change the default program to open them. Your ISO files are fine.

Why go through all the steps to uninstall and then reinstall some software, when all you have to do is change the file associations...or even better, right click on the file and choose "Open with...". You'll get a pop up box asking to choose the program, and you'll have a check box at the bottom to Always open with this program. It takes ten seconds, and is far less drastic than adding and removing software.

I wanted to try that method, but I don't know which program to pick from. There's nothing relevant in the list that they provided, and if I click browse, I don't know where to go. Before I accidentally changed it, the icon looked like a white page w/ the upper right corner folded down, and in the middle is a mini window (not the windows logo) with tiny red/blue/green symbols.

I wanted to try that method, but I don't know which program to pick from. There's nothing relevant in the list that they provided, and if I click browse, I don't know where to go. Before I accidentally changed it, the icon looked like a white page w/ the upper right corner folded down, and in the middle is a mini window (not the windows logo) with tiny red/blue/green symbols.

get one of the iso programs, power iso, magic iso, etc., then change the file association by right clicking and the "open with" option...

get one of the iso programs, power iso, magic iso, etc., then change the file association by right clicking and the "open with" option...

I'll do that. For future reference, how do I get it back to look like the icon I described above. Is that the icon of an unassociated file?

I'll do that. For future reference, how do I get it back to look like the icon I described above. Is that the icon of an unassociated file?

yes, I think so, an iso program will give you a disc icon, power iso is gold and magic iso is silver...

You don't need to install any new program, just Tools -> Folder Options -> File Types -> Then change the default program for the ISO file type to nothing with the Advanced button.

If you don't have a program loaded that is specifically for .iso files, like UltraISO, then you probably have them registered to your burning program.

Back