Win XP 64-bit tweaks? Mine seems sluggish

Absolut Talent

Banned Ad Blocker
About a month ago, i decided to reformat and step up from win2k and go with a copy of winxp 64bit i had laying around (got it from an AMD tour awhile back). Seemed like drivers were out where the periphirals I was using would still work.

So i installed, updated, etc... And it still seems a bit sluggish. I read through the TweakingCompanion from Tweakguides, stopped a bit of the services that I dont use/need. I installed my Spybot SD and AVG and scanned, nothing to be afraid of there. But some things take longer than they should. Forinstance, closing down Media Player Classic while watching something shouldnt take 3 seconds (unless im missing something)

Are there any other tweak guides I could look at? Or anyone have anything that should give it a quick zip?

You might consider providing a lot more information about the actual hardware you're using right now. I'm suspecting you're low on RAM but it remains to be seen since you didn't specify.

All I know from past experience myself and reading about the results of hundreds of others that have used XP x64 (the correct name; XP64 was the Itanium release) is that it smokes 32 bit XP in day-to-day usage. It's based on the 2K3 core components and kernel, so to put it bluntly, it's freakin' fast as hell.

If it's slow on your machine, there's a reason for it, but you've got to provide more info before anyone's going to be able to make suggestions...

fine, system specs

Asus A8n-E
AMD 3200+ 64bit
2gigs (2x 1024mb) Kingston HyperX pc3200
ATI 800xl pci-e
SB audigy 1
Maxtor 7200rpm 80gig HD (partitioned, 40gig system space/programs, 40gig secondary partition for game files)
Maxtor 120 gig HD set as slave. Partitioned 3 times, just for storage
Maxtor 40gig HD set as a slave. Not partitioned, just for storage.

The 2 extra harddrives for storage, were already formatted under NTFS and used as storage when I was on win2k. Absolutly no change on them whatsoever. Disconnecting them showed no improvement.

I also disk cleanup and defraged all the drives, still no improvement.

While my machine certainly isnt top of the line... its definitly no compaq special. Thats why I cant see why this is all happening...

Aside from premature drivers, I'm going to suggest that it may be combination of hardware things. You're processor was one of the original (read: slowest) 64 bit processors released. You're hard drives are probably of the 2 MB cache variety. You're video card may not be up to snuff (or the drivers are still lacking) in terms of the Aero interface.

i thought the aero interface was only in Vista.....
but even with all that.... why would I get phenominal performance in win2k, and suddenly i get crap in what is essentially just winxp 32bit with extra stuff tailored for the 64bit processes?

Well by the "AMD XP 3200+ 64bit" there I'm guessing you mean AMD Athlon64 3200+ 64 bit", but I got it.

The memory is a definite plus there, good stuff and very reliable.

I'm curious about the hard drives though. I'm guessing they're IDE since you didn't specify that aspect, but I'm wondering if they're SATA. You make mention of 'slave' so that leads me to suspect IDE.

I would also suspect that all your drivers for the Nforce chipset/etc are up to date with the latest versions too. I can't see anything that might be causing what you consider to be slow performance.

When you get a chance to do a reboot, can you check on the running services after you get back to the Desktop with Task Manager? Gimme a count of how many are running after the reboot, and also what's going on in the Tray, how many icons up there.

All of it relates...

Aside from premature drivers, I'm going to suggest that it may be combination of hardware things. You're processor was one of the original (read: slowest) 64 bit processors released. You're hard drives are probably of the 2 MB cache variety. You're video card may not be up to snuff (or the drivers are still lacking) in terms of the Aero interface.

He's not running Vista, he's running XP x64. :D

"It hurts... I've been at this too long... make it stop... I need a vacation..." hehehe

</inside_joke>

AMD XP 3200+ 64bit
I assume you mean Athlon 64 3200+?

You're video card may not be up to snuff (or the drivers are still lacking) in terms of the Aero interface.
He's using XP 64 bit, not Vista.

It's probably a driver issue. I never had a good experience with XP-64, but 64-Bit Vista runs well.

rofl.. yeah my bad.... its 3200+ 64, no freakin XP in that processor

yes, latest nforce drivers.
yes, the HDs are on IDE. I got my main system on IDE 0, my cd/dvd burners on ide 1, and the other two harddrives on ide 2 and 3

as far as processes, it shows 29 after a reboot. 1 of those is for my logitech Setpoint, 5 for AVG

Did you look in your Device Manager to see if any hardwares has an exclamation? I installed Win XP x64 and was getting slow down when playing video files. I forgot to install the nforce drivers but you indicated that you did....

I had an AMD 3000 64, with an ATI agp x800 card, with 2 gigs of ram, so I don't think it is the hardware slowing you down, did you see if there were any updates from Asus also?

I can't think of anything else I did.

Back