Win A Lawsuit Against Best Buy, Get Banned For Life

Go in, and take a dump on their bathroom floor.

That wouldn't help since it would just be the janitor working there or whoever got the clean the bathroom job that day. Maybe if you went to the CEO's office when nobody was there and made sure you had the runs and used his chair and desk drawers to do your duty that might be a little better. :D

I stopped shopping at Best Buy after a couple of their 'security' guys jumped me while I was leaving the store. Apparently they had seen someone shoplifting and wearing a leather jacket and I was wearing a tight fitting leather jacket, so they jumped me. Besides tossing one down, slamming another into the sliding door entrance thing and a lot of shouting, nothing really happened. I probably could have and should have sued them, but I didn't think it would be worth my time. My mother and I were Christmas shopping with me at the time and she was telling me to "not make a scene", so I whipped open my jacket and showed there was nothing under it and yelled a lot of obscenities at them. They didn't call the cops, although I think I asked them to at one point.

i dont like best buy, but I dunno, best buy did atleast at the end finally get things cleared up (eg, oops, we dont have to charge him anything, headdesk), when everything is good, guy sues. I honestly wouldnt care to sue them for such a shitty matter, what would I've done is in the future I would never just buy from them for wasting my time, He sues Best Guy for a matter that already has been resolved, now if you are an idiot to buy from them again next time. and it happens again, shame on you,lol. too much suing todays, its getting old

I would not even care if I got banned from Best Buy. He will save some money in the long run lol.

Ha ha, fuck them. They never get a cent from me, and never will. I want them to die a pain slowish death like Circuit City. Actually, I think they are........

God forbid some people would react to being screwed and mistreated by these con artists.

Nothing lost honestly. There are so many better alternatives to Best Buy these days. Who needs them?

All those who call him a jerk for sueing sure don't seem to realize how does the "grown up" world actually works.

He was in the right for sueing, they broke the law, and had the situation of ilegality been reversed BB would have sued//pressed charges too.

They had full right and imho where also right for banning him in the sense that they have to try and protect themselves against someone who seems keen enough to point out their ilegal activities.

If you have to sue Best Buy for something why bother to even go back. You know its a scam avoid it.

All those who call him a jerk for sueing sure don't seem to realize how does the "grown up" world actually works.

He was in the right for sueing, they broke the law, and had the situation of ilegality been reversed BB would have sued//pressed charges too.

They had full right and imho where also right for banning him in the sense that they have to try and protect themselves against someone who seems keen enough to point out their ilegal activities.
I agree with you on all counts.

Had he broken the law against Best Buy and did some shoplifting or something, nobody would call Best Buy jerks for pressing charges against a thief.

Yup. Best Buy is free to ban this guy, he's free to point out how childish they are, and we're free to ridicule them and give them a bad rap until the end of time (or more realistically, until we forget about it next week). :p
Best Buy just wants to make it worse...
childish indeed

Wonder what they do in the situation where you have warranties through them or have merchandise you purchased from them still within the return window. Can you sue them for denying you access to your warranty and/or returning products within their policy period?

Whether or not BB banned him doesn't even matter. No rational person continues to do business with a company that has screwed them anyway.

It is for this reason that neither I nor any of my descendants will ever darken the door of a Gamestop; having jackasses try to push preorders on me with deliberate understocking when the product is widely available elsewhere has cost them my business.

I just want to add I worked for GS about 10 years ago and as an employee I too hated their practice.. I want to add however that they usually fu*ked us too on the bigger games because they based units on reserves. IE if we got 20 reserves on a game that ONLY 20 people were going to buy anyway we'd get 40 copies and then the titles like Madden people assumed we'd get tons of so they wouldn't reserve them so we'd get 20.

To comment on the BB thing, bah sue em! They wouldn't hesitate to come after you and they have the lawyers in house to do it. I wouldn't care much if I got banned from Best Buy because worst case I could send someone in to pick up whatever I needed. When it comes to tech however, I usually only shop online to get the best prices.

Michael said he'd call me back again. Within the hour, I got a call saying I could pick up my receiver when it comes in and not pay any more than the deposit.

I can understand the guy's frustration. Damn though. He basically got a $40 receiver repair. Then he puts the boots to them? I agree they where wrong, but shit happens and as far as I'm concerned, they made it right. Perhaps they think this guy is planning a slip and fall next.:p

Look at it this way. This guy put the boots to them, yeah, but how many other people have they done this to and gotten away with it? He did everyone a service as now Best Buy probably sent a memo around telling their Geek Squad people not to pull this kind of stunt again. Besides costing them money - chump change in this case as far as they're concerned - it's bad publicity and they lose a way of screwing people over.

I've only bought stuff from Best Buy a couple times over the past 5-10 years. It's only small stuff, and things that I need ASAP. That's about it.

In all honesty, the guy was a bit of a douche. BB rescinded the charges.

I realize he doesn't legally have to absolve them of liability at that point (as the judge agreed), but it would have been nice. Don't we always say too many people are too quick to sue just because they see an opportunity to do so?

If you overcharge 100 people, fifty complain, and twenty-five get some sort of discount or refund your still up a considerable sum of money. Banks do it all the time. In my time at BofA my call center alone (which only served California) refunded more then $1 million a month in NSF fees. That figure does not include monthly statement or other fees that should not have been charged as well. Most of which should not have been legally changed in the first place. This is a very common practice in our country, and not just in the banking industry, and most people will give up after the first call or two rather then fight for money that should never have been taken from them in the first place.

Sadly most people do not have the time, energy, self-reliance, or knowledge to hold corporations accountable. These practices are no different then mechanics who take advantage of little old ladies telling them they need new flux capacitors and the like.

Not the point. Once they demand money when you haven't authorized any charges, they've broken the law and need to be held accountable.

Like one of the commenters on the consumerist said, If you steel a TV, then bring it back to make it right, it's not going to be 'alls well that ends well', and you'll end up in jail. In this case, Best Buy broke the law and they had to pay whether they made it right in the end or not.

No, it is the point. Mistakes happen, they ended up correcting their mistake by not making him pay anything.

Oh, and steeling a TV has INTENT to commit the 'crime,' it is a completely stupid comparison.

This is a perfect example of when consumers have gone too far, not businesses going too far.

If you overcharge 100 people, fifty complain, and twenty-five get some sort of discount or refund your still up a considerable sum of money. Banks do it all the time. In my time at BofA my call center alone (which only served California) refunded more then $1 million a month in NSF fees. That figure does not include monthly statement or other fees that should not have been charged as well. Most of which should not have been legally changed in the first place. This is a very common practice in our country, and not just in the banking industry, and most people will give up after the first call or two rather then fight for money that should never have been taken from them in the first place.

Sadly most people do not have the time, energy, self-reliance, or knowledge to hold corporations accountable. These practices are no different then mechanics who take advantage of little old ladies telling them they need new flux capacitors and the like.

In this case, however, there is no indication that Best Buy overcharged him for the repairs, or made any unnecessary repairs. They simply proceeded without getting his authorization first. This doesn't seem like a nefarious scheme by Best Buy to fix broken stuff, just a mistake. A mistake they attempted to rectify (after some resistance) by rescinding the unauthorized charges.

After the years upon years I've heard of Geek Squad being a bunch of moronic, wannabe tech kids who charge double what a normal tech repair guy costs.... I still can't believe people actually use geek squad!!!! Especially at the insane overpricing.

I mean, just google "geek squad" and there is a clip on youtube that says "GEEK SQUAD IS WORTHLESS" and it appears to be a local 6PM news bit. :D

So he got banned from BB? Sounds like they're doing him a huge favor IMO. In fact, Best Buy should just ban everyone from their stores. :D

/ Hoping someday a Microcenter will be in place of our local shit pile of a consumer electronics store, Best Buy.

everyone knows Best Buy is just a showroom for Amazon.com anyway.

Plus that ban is laughable. All he has to do is go into a completely different store in a different city. No one will know who he is. You actually think the clerk is going to know he is banned for life? LAWL

True. But if he uses his credit card, and BB flags him, they could send him a nasty letter of breaching property.

I am not commenting that you should or should not ban any specific person from the forums, I am saying that Best Buy by opening a store has made a public statement to invite anyone to come into the Store during business hours. This waves many legal and property rights. Further in most cases Best Buy doesnt even OWN the property. They rent or lease, they dont have the right to ban someone the property owner does.

You don't have to own property to ban someone. If you lease the place, you have the right to do whatever to the property within consent of the owner.

Think of the ban as a restraining order. You go near me, you get a visit from the law.

i don't know why he's crying about it, i mean thank goodness he was saved from going again into BB.

haven't gone to BB in 7 years, online is much cheaper stayed home.

i also run my business and no we don't have any personal information or anything so it won't come to any consumer protection or their privacy, but some time some customer are just darn right out annoying no matter what you do, you give them extra penny in change they are angry, you give them discount they are angry, i don't get at all but they just raise their voice for no reason, getting tired of this i've started banning them myself, i've lost about $100/month but boy that $100 saves me from lot of headache.

everyone knows Best Buy is just a showroom for Amazon.com anyway.

LOL! Exactly!
I have not purchased electronics in many years from a local store. I purchase it all online.
Last week I went to the local auto parts store to buy a set of shock. "OH, we are out of stock, will have to order them from Atlanta". I was pissed I wasted a trip into town and was coming home empty handed. I thought "What the heck, let look for them online." Low an behold I found them online much cheaper even after paying shipping. I planned to tackle the job this weekend and they delivered about an hour ago. This was a Win-Win.

hell phisical shops are begining to die out pretty soon we're going to do the groceries online

Some people have claimed that it's obstruction of justice to ban the guy; I don't know, it sounds legal to me.

Kyle's analogy is off though; the guy called them out for breaking the law, not for mysteriously "slipping" on a clean floor and suing for millions in "medical fees"

Let me put it this way: 3,000 dollars isn't much of a reward when compared to the time and effort it takes to file this crap in small claims court. He wasn't doing this to take Best Buy to the cleaners, he was doing this for the poor people who get screwed by companies like this all the time.

Thus the real story here is that they're punishing this guy for essentially being a whistle-blower. I doubt that Best Buy wants to break laws just to screw customers; now that this is brought to their attention, surely they'll change policy for the average consumer's benefit. As to the ban, it's probably standard policy to do this for *any* law suit, but this was a bad move. It only gives us more ammunition when people ask us for a reason as to why we're always telling them not to shop there.

Bad publicity isn't always good publicity!

In this case, however, there is no indication that Best Buy overcharged him for the repairs, or made any unnecessary repairs. They simply proceeded without getting his authorization first. This doesn't seem like a nefarious scheme by Best Buy to fix broken stuff, just a mistake. A mistake they attempted to rectify (after some resistance) by rescinding the unauthorized charges.

The problem is the chain of communication. With a unit under warranty (even if the repair isn't) there seems to be a degree of avoidance of work, when BB sent it to Sony in attempt to have a warrantied repair, it looks to Sony like their client is BB, in which they probably have a automatic repair policy.

Best Buy didn't repair it but when Sony sent them the bill they auto applied to his ticket.

The out of store repair handling at least 10 years ago for me is the most unorganized piece of crap you can deal with. In the end he is 10x better off that Sony repaired it then him. This happened dozens of times a year to every store and 9 times out of ten the store manager would clear it on their own.

Maybe, maybe not. I do not know - nor, I think would we be able to determine, a "fair" price for the repairs in question - Not giving the customer the option to agree, or disagree with the price and specific repairs does seem to imply that Best Buy was padding the costs and did not want to give him an option to seek other options.

I will admit part of my above statement is based on other stories I have read where Best Buy did slam custoemrs for repairs that were not authorised or even appropriate to the situation. For example the lady who used Geek Freaks to repair/upgrade her optical drive and then ended up for a replaced (expensive) hard drive (and I thin other parts) total data loss and a refusal to return the original HD (which is also illegal). And of course the many, many reports of Best Buy charging to install free updates and the like. So while the overcharge 100 may or may not apply specifically to this one situation I full belive it does apply to Best Buy as a standard business practice. To put it another way, they sell ice to the indigenousness peoples who traditionally inhabit the circumpolar region from eastern Siberia (Russia), across Alaska (United States), Canada, and Greenland.

I consider this to be unethical, your thoughts are of course yours.

Back