Win 8 & Robocopy over network

Hi all. I have a batch file I wrote that copies my important files over to a networked computer. I have been successfully using this file for awhile. I updated both machines to windows 8 recently. Note, the batch script was working fine with the source being win 8 and the destination being win 7.

But now when I try to update it with the new path (which is correct), I get an error code 5 access denied. I'm not sure what else I can do with it. The destination machine has the destination drive shared. I can remote connect onto that drive, drop files, delete stuff, everything. I can also remote desktop into that machine, but for the life of me I can't get robocopy to work anymore. Anyone run into this?

No I haven't tried another form of copy yet, I just prefer robocopy's ability to mirror and purge.

Thanks for any ideas!

Access denied to which file?

Have you tried using Process Monitor to see what resource it's tying to access that it doesn't have permission to?

how are you initiating the robocopy? are you testing from a command prompt, or trying to start the command as a scheduled task? If it's the latter, then you may need to enter your credentials in the task to make sure it's impersonating your actual user account.

I'm starting it from the command prompt. As for which file, any on the drive I am trying to access. I haven't tried process monitor.

Post your robocopy batch file so we can have a look. If you are copying to the root of a drive (say you shared D: and are copying there), you'll need to exclude system directories like "system volume information" and "$recycle.bin". Look at the file that gets the error message, then check the source and destination versions' ntfs and share permissions for starters.

robocopy /S /XO /MIR /SECFIX /COPYALL "C:/Users/Anthony/Desktop/Alpha" "\\TACITUSDESKTOP\d\Other\Laptop Backup"
robocopy /S /XO /MIR /SECFIX /COPYALL "C:/Users/Anthony/Desktop/Pics" "\\TACITUSDESKTOP\d\Pics"
robocopy /S /XO /MIR /SECFIX /COPYALL "C:/Users/Anthony/Desktop/Audio" "\\TACITUSDESKTOP\d\Audio"
robocopy /S /XO /MIR /SECFIX /COPYALL "C:/Users/Anthony/Desktop/Video" "\\TACITUSDESKTOP\d\Video"
robocopy /S /XO /MIR "C:/Users/Anthony/Desktop/Alpha" "D:\Alpha"
robocopy /S /XO /MIR "C:/Users/Anthony/Desktop/Pics" "D:\Pics"
robocopy /S /XO /MIR "C:/Users/Anthony/Desktop/Audio" "D:\Audio"
robocopy /S /XO /MIR "C:/Users/Anthony/Desktop/Video" "D:\Video"

I don't have time to check now, but I'm going to speculate, that /secfix and /copyall require admin privileges, in circumstances where some of the security information is changed. You could run it one time as admin, then remove the /secfix and change /copyall to /copy:dat - or maybe set up a scheduled task item to run the batch file as admin and make a shortcut to the scheduled task (there are guides around the net), if you mind the UAC prompt.. Also you may need to make sure that you have the same account name and password on each system, and that each is an Admin (again, just to run with /secfix and /copyall which you probably don't need.)

I'll give it a shot. I'm pretty sure I added those tags after the issues started in an attempt to debug. I am admin (and only account on each machine).

I'll give it a shot. I'm pretty sure I added those tags after the issues started in an attempt to debug. I am admin (and only account on each machine).

Being and admin doesn't mean the command is being run in an admin context. Do you have UAC disabled? If not, open your command prompt as an admin and try it in this window. Your command prompt should say "Administrator: Command Prompt" in the title bar. If it doesn't, it's not running with Admin privileges.

I have attempted "Run as Administrator" on the command prompt window. Unfortunately that didn't fix it.

Is password protected Sharing on in your network settings? Try turning it on if not. And what are the share permissions for the destination directory that robocopy fails on? (right click directory, properties, sharing, advanced sharing)

I got it guys. I had to go into the folders and manually setup permissions for the incoming account on the remote machine... :S. Thanks for all the help.

Back