Win 7 WPA2 network connection

Operaghost

[H]ard|Gawd
I setup my D-Link Wireless N router.

Set it up with WPA2 encryption
Then when I try to connect to it, Win 7 just goes into troubleshooting mode, instead of prompting me for the passkey.

What gives?

Although my Vista laptop doesn't prompt me for the passkey either.
Just says "Unable to connect to network"

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong here?

If neither OS connects to it, chances are it is something with the router's settings, or the wireless card isn't compatible.

I've had this problem occasionally if I've had the network in my "profiles" or saved networks before without encryption. I would have delete them or remove them...and then try reconnecting to get prompted for the network key.

Is there a simple way to find out if your network adapter is "N" compatible?

I'm 99% sure my pc one is, not sure bout the laptop.

***EDIT***
Actually, I checked the router's wireless status and it is in G/N mode.

So the adapter compatibility shouldn't be the problem at all

Do you have software for the wireless adapter that manages the connections, such as Intel's ProSet? If so, go into profiles, or whatever it may be called for you, and delete the network completely. Then try to reconnect.

I don't have any software installed.

In fact, this is pretty much a clean install of Win7 other than updated video drivers, windows update, and mozilla.

*EDIT*
I reset the routers settings.
And can connect to it from my PC with internet access, but it has no security at the moment.

What I don't get is, originally when I connected to the network, Win7 was asking me to enter the pin of the router to configure it. It stopped prompting me to do that.
But when I try to connect to it from the laptop, then I do get prompted for the PIN.

Is this FIOS, by chance? My in-laws have FIOs and their laptops started asking for a PIN the first time they connected (even before I could put any security on it). I never saw that before.

No its cable.

I ya I think the PIN entry is for the first time you connect to that router. Hence why my laptop is prompting and not the PC anymore.

I got it working though.
I set it WPA encryption and entered my passkey manually this time instead of generating one.

Looks like I'm good to go. Thanks for your input Deacon

Back