Win 7, using affinity and priority???

Dapperdan

Supreme [H]ardness
My system : ASUS P6T Deluxe- EVGA 280 GTX- i7 920- CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB- Win7-64

Im just wondering about using affinity and priority for my work programs and if its worth doing at all. On avg I have between 6-10 programs running, from my trading programs to a browser,steam/CSS game, skype and trillian. My trading program is the biggest hog using around 700-800k of memory. I was told my system could benefit from setting some programs to high priority and giving a program a set # core. So im just trying to get an idea of what I should or could do. Thanks for any help.

The os will manage it better than you, leave it alone

Generally speaking, you can leave it alone.

However, some programs aren't properly written and do work better when you manually set the affinity to utilize a single core. Any modern program is probably not going to have the problem. You may see this in older programs that are not meant for modern operating systems or "newer" programs that were migrated poorly to support the new operating systems.

As far as priority goes -- you could actually degrade performance with this. I'm not talking about just your application, but overall system performance. Unless you *REALLY* need to move more "power" to an application because it isn't getting enough CPU time, don't touch it. If you have to adjust this, I would recommend adjusting other programs down instead of bumping up priority.

In my 20 years working in an IT support role, I've never had to resolve an issue by adjusting the priority of a program. I have had to adjust the affinity, but the problems that we experienced when multi-core CPUs first came out are long gone.

Back