Win 7 - trouble extracting Zip files - Don't have permission

TechJeff

Limp Gawd
I am having trouble extracting .zip files to certain directories on Windows 7 (64bit). Some applications I have installed and want to unzip them inside a specific directory per instructions in the .zip. However, I have been getting a "Don't have permission" or "Can't create directory" error when I try.

It happens on WinZip 14 and WinRAR both, so I know the zip program is not the cause. Also, I CAN extract the same .zip archive to my Windows 7 desktop just fine. But certain directories in my "Program Files" folders don't seem to allow me to do so. I thought at first setting WinZip to "Run as Administrator" would work, but it did not.

Right now I am at a loss as to what Windows 7 is needing me to do for permissions or how to fix this. Since I know the archives are good and extract fine to my desktop and it is only certain directories like my Program Files folder that it does not extract to with those errors it would seem some sort of access needs to granted. I am running using my Administrator account that was created during Windows 7 install.

Has anyone seen this too or knows what the cause may be for the failed .zip extractions?

Thanks,

Jeff

Right click the folder or drive that you're trying to do this on.

Go to the tab for the folder/drive marked "Security", and edit your permissions. I had no one be able to write but only read/execute for some reason when I switched from XP -> Windows 7 (all my NTFS drives).

Right click the folder or drive that you're trying to do this on.

Go to the tab for the folder/drive marked "Security", and edit your permissions. I had no one be able to write but only read/execute for some reason when I switched from XP -> Windows 7 (all my NTFS drives).

Thanks, I will give that a try. Also, I have found out that for some reason both WinZip 14 and WinRAR 64bit work OK if I set it to "Run as Administrator" every time I start the program. However, once I quit the program, I have to set it again to "Run as Administrator" every time I run the application. I am running the demo versions of each program so I do not know if that is why I am having to do this every time I run it or not.

If anyone would care to download a demo of those and try it out on Windows 7 64bit and report back if you have to do the same thing that would help. Right now I am a little worried about this because I thought once you tell a program to "Run as Administrator" that was all that was required and you did not have to do it every time it is ran. Like I said, maybe it has to do with them being the trial/demo mode but I don't know until someone else can check.

One last thing, WinZip requires me to set the program to "Run as Administrator" for EACH archive I want to unzip and it will do so just fine but I have to do this with every one, not just one time for when the program is ran. But WinRAR 64bit will extract all my archives just fine once set to "Run as Administrator" so long as you don't quit the program (if you do, you must set it back again). So that is where I am at right now and what I have found out on those two programs.

If you right-click on the shortcuts for the programs and select properties there is an option under the compatibility tab that will make sure the program always runs using administrator rights.

Back