Win 7: This is going to sound stupid

Vanxio

n00b
Hey guys,

So....How do I move around my folders/files in Windows 7? lol. I am trying to drag and drop a folder above another one....and I never get that little black divider bar that I had in vista when I did it.

Suggestions? -_-

Just drop it when there is no 'highlighted' icon/folder underneath it. The black divider only shows up in the some bits of the taskbar, and a few other areas now.

Doesn't work....

Here is what I am doing.

In the folder, I have this

1.txt
2.txt
3.txt
4.txt

If I drag 4.txt in between 1.txt and 2.txt, nothing happens!

oops. sorry, that was just for the desktop/

Inside a folder, it's just all automatically sorted, sorry!

Nothing happens when you do that because Explorer is configured to display folder contents in alphanumeric order.

Edit:

For desktop, right-click, choose 'View' and then enable 'Auto-arrange'. Your much desired little bars will now show when you try drag/dropping the icons to shift them around.

Last edited:
I don't have any icons on my desktop.

I'm talking about *inside* a folder...

Ooops. Read too quickly and didn't notice who it was that posted :cool:

Anyways. Can't do it in a folder because Explorer auto-sorts the display of contents. You can change the sort algorithm to work Windows 2000 style, but you can't disable it altogether as far as I'm aware.

Has nothing to do with being [H]ard. I navigate my system off of pure muscle memory, I don't look, I just move to X and click. If things are out of order, it takes me a solid week to re-learn it! :-(

Back