Win 7 Pro unstable...Which OS should I install?

Everyone is another person. It is useless to argue whether Windows or Linux is better (e.g. popular flame wars) because there are so many factors, not many of them pure technological or easy to avoid.
I don't remember the last time I had any major (or mid-minor) problem with Windows on many machines (incl. virtual) for the last 20+ years. I don't use antiviruses, nowhere. Windows Servers run for 5-10 months with no issues, for years and decades.
It's again, the switching barrier which has many layers, not only software. Wine runs most softwares but far from all.
Today I tested Ubuntu server with few graphical UIs. I was yet again astonished by the lack of common sense and features to control most basic functions in the OS.
A server is not only the notorious http or ftp server. One may need GUI for terminal services where you install most normal software on the server and clients log in remotely. Etc.
Windows Server is rock solid, I know it from experience. Given you don't do antyhing stupid that the common home-joe would do, of course - then it could become less stable than Linux, and that's something inherent to all software. Some years ago I could get any Linux to a halt just after few hours of messing around with its settings and/or GUIs.
Your experience with Ubuntu probably resulted from your lock-down to Windows. You can't think outside the Windows way of doing things anymore so you find anything else confusing. People have been literally brainwashed into thinking there is only the Windows way of doing things. Are you trying to say you can't set up a remote desktop to an Ubuntu server or what?

I see the need to run antimalware, antivirus, anti-MS update scripts etc. a problem by themselves, even if Microsoft didn't decide to reboot the OS while I was in middle of inputting data to an application. Luckily that application feeds directly to the database - I would have been royally peeved if I lost an hour or two worth of data lol.

The opposite. You cannot say whether I can or can't think outside of Windows ;) . I can acknowledge many good points about Linux OSes. But some people need to admit Windows has its own merits and use-cases, especially in many enterprises.
I have the confidence I can think common sense and be objective (and not (too much) subjective). Linux GUIs have their merits as well. But anywhere where GUI is of any importance, Linux has always 'crashed' miserably to fulfil the needs.

Talking about forced updates - for anything Win10 Pro and beyond (windows server also) you can turn off automatic updates AND automatic restart after updates. It's another story if you didn't know about that or how to do it (very simple). My machines are never updating nor asking to update, for years, and only when I decide, I check and update. Win10s and Server 2016s.
MS and Windows paved the way about how things should work and most things were good. There is nothing wrong if an objectively good way of doing something matches the way how MS implemented it and then some people "accuse" other people of being locked down or brainwashed. I see this phenomenon being very strong in topics like politics etc. I can see many things being better in Linux OSes as I said. But you'd never see me spit or rant against Linux as a whole like that.

I just don't like Windows and all the problems it gives you. I can imagine how horrible time people are having if I get problems using it on average 1 hour per week. Even then my workflow was interrupted by a forced update reboot (during my active hours). Most applications run nowadays just fine using Wine or other compatibility layers. Personally I've switched to using MacOS for a daily driver for desktop applications and anything more technological gets run on linux.

I run Windows as a virtual machine and just suspend it for the majority of the time I don't need it. I also have a couple of situations where I either need to simulate something running on Windows or need some poorly coded software that runs only on Windows. I'm actually planning to try to find time to get even the rest working on linux so I can ditch also the virtual machine.
whats the penalty for running things in a VM. I can't imagine it runs as smoothly or fast. I really can't tolerate a performance penalty.
Everyone is another person. It is useless to argue whether Windows or Linux is better (e.g. popular flame wars) because there are so many factors, not many of them pure technological or easy to avoid.
I don't remember the last time I had any major (or mid-minor) problem with Windows on many machines (incl. virtual) for the last 20+ years. I don't use antiviruses, nowhere. Windows Servers run for 5-10 months with no issues, for years and decades.
It's again, the switching barrier which has many layers, not only software. Wine runs most softwares but far from all.
Today I tested Ubuntu server with few graphical UIs. I was yet again astonished by the lack of common sense and features to control most basic functions in the OS.
A server is not only the notorious http or ftp server. One may need GUI for terminal services where you install most normal software on the server and clients log in remotely. Etc.
Windows Server is rock solid, I know it from experience. Given you don't do antyhing stupid that the common home-joe would do, of course - then it could become less stable than Linux, and that's something inherent to all software. Some years ago I could get any Linux to a halt just after few hours of messing around with its settings and/or GUIs.
I am highlyt interested in Windows Server but i really need a dummy guide explaining the install process and all the modules. I dont ahve any idea on what is actually needed or what ha;f of them do because i have never seen that on Windows regular OSes.

If a program runs on Windows 7 Pro or Windows 10 Pro....it should run on server right?

Last edited:
A VM penalty is primarily about graphics performance and depending on usage scenarios - disk IO. A VM can be set to use a physical disk with little to no penalty.
It also depends on the hardware and what hardware virtualization features the processor has.
Don't use VMs if you don't have a valid reason. I use VMs for develompent and test purposes, primarily. I have some on servers but...
About graphics performance, not really a problem for everyday basic usage. But anyway, it feels like it isn't just like a native hardware graphics sometimes.

I installed a Server 2019 in a VM the other day. It installed in 4 minutes straight, to the desktop. The only thing that always shows up after installation of a Server is the Server Manager where you can add roles and services for whatever you are going to use it - HTTP server, FTP, DNS, AD etc.
There is really no need for guides etc. for basic things. You add roles/services for things you intend to use, Web server, ASP, etc.

"If a program runs on Windows 7 Pro or Windows 10 Pro....it should run on server right?"
- In 99.5% of the cases, yes. There are some programs (mostly some system ones like defragmenters or system-imaging software) that are artificially segmented in two or more editions with Server or Advanced Server or similar editions only working on Windows Server while the other (smaller) editions only work on Win7/8/10. Server 'versions' of those are most likely more expensive than 'workstation' editions.
Also some TV tuners and the likes may have problems installing or running at all on Server Windows.
Some drivers also could be problematic, but it is rare. In my case the built-in Intel I211-AT network adapter had this kind of problem because Intel again, artificially segmented server and workstation drivers for its drivers. This was easy to circumvent though, with editing some inf files :) . Almost everything that had problems running on Server, I could make it work flawlessly, with the only exception, one Aver TV tuner :) .

Last edited:
A VM penalty is primarily about graphics performance and depending on usage scenarios - disk IO. A VM can be set to use a physical disk with little to no penalty.
It also depends on the hardware and what hardware virtualization features the processor has.
Don't use VMs if you don't have a valid reason. I use VMs for develompent and test purposes, primarily. I have some on servers but...
About graphics performance, not really a problem for everyday basic usage. But anyway, it feels like it isn't just like a native hardware graphics sometimes.

I installed a Server 2019 in a VM the other day. It installed in 4 minutes straight, to the desktop. The only thing that always shows up after installation of a Server is the Server Manager where you can add roles and services for whatever you are going to use it - HTTP server, FTP, DNS, AD etc.
There is really no need for guides etc. for basic things. You add roles/services for things you intend to use, Web server, ASP, etc.

"If a program runs on Windows 7 Pro or Windows 10 Pro....it should run on server right?"
- In 99.5% of the cases, yes. There are some programs (mostly some system ones like defragmenters or system-imaging software) that are artificially segmented in two or more editions with Server or Advanced Server or similar editions only working on Windows Server while the other (smaller) editions only work on Win7/8/10. Server 'versions' of those are most likely more expensive than 'workstation' editions.
Also some TV tuners and the likes may have problems installing or running at all on Server Windows.
Some drivers also could be problematic, but it is rare. In my case the built-in Intel I211-AT network adapter had this kind of problem because Intel again, artificially segmented server and workstation drivers for its drivers. This was easy to circumvent though, with editing some inf files :) . Almost everything that had problems running on Server, I could make it work flawlessly, with the only exception, one Aver TV tuner :) .
interesting...I wonder what the IIRC it was like 46-50 steps of "Do you want to add this?" was. I remember going like....ummmm:confused:.

Well I guess I can just give it a shot and post on here if I have trouble. I use this for Plex, Snapraid/VeraCrypt, Owncloud (eventually), NAS, and other various things (PS, editing, and other random things on rare occasions). All that should work on a server I would assume. One would think maybe even better.

It has been on my long term bucket list to make my own email server for privacy reason especially the DIME? The dark web alliance open source encrypted email program. I don't know if they released it yet. Its a wet dream of mine to have my own email server under m,y own control and having it be encrypted:love:

Yes, maybe even better. The Server misses almost all junk from Win10, so yes, it feels much better not having all the sh*t Win10 has.
Sure, you may have to fiddle a little bit with settings to make the OS closer to a workstation if you need it, like activating the sound service if you need sound at all :) . Also in Task Scheduler there are some dozen of tasks you may want to disable etc. but all this needs a bit of time if you never used a Server anyway.
The Server is tweaked by MS to be used as a server, so for example in Advanced settings there is an option to optimize system scheduler for background services (server) or programs (workstation like in Win10). In Server this is by default to Background Services obviously. Things like that.
You have to try everything by yourself.

As to email server, you'd better not :) . Other servers are Ok but just email is not a good idea if you need it for something more than playing around with it. To be reliable it needs many things to be fulfilled, some out of your control. You can try, I use the free hMailServer for development etc, also use it on one production server successfully for years but... drop the paranoia. For very important email there is always the encryption you can use etc.

Windows Servers run for 5-10 months with no issues, for years and decades.

Personally, as a tech that works on Windows Servers, I wouldn't lay claim to that. Furthermore, they still have to reboot to apply updates.

I simply don't understand why anyone would run Windows 7 as a server OS when they could run Plex as well as raid and some form of backup software under Linux which is far more suited to server duties? Now I'm waiting for the OP to abuse me because I opposed his view...

My own server (2016) regularly surpasses 6 months of uptimes. Used for many things, IPTV being one. I tend to update it when I schedule a restart or UPS cleanup.
2008 R2 servers surpass 1 year of uptimes also. All I wanted is to make point that Win Servers are stable enough (no less than any linux) and given the OPs claim that migrating to linux even as a server is not an option, I can understand him very well. He want to run PS as far as I got, along with other software he has for Windows.

My own server (2016) regularly surpasses 6 months of uptimes. Used for many things, IPTV being one. I tend to update it when I schedule a restart or UPS cleanup.
2008 R2 servers surpass 1 year of uptimes also. All I wanted is to make point that Win Servers are stable enough (no less than any linux) and given the OPs claim that migrating to linux even as a server is not an option, I can understand him very well. He want to run PS as far as I got, along with other software he has for Windows.

Based on my own experience, Windows Server is pretty good, but it's not as good as Linux. Sorry. Furthermore, I question anyone running Windows Server 2016 at home and the legitimacy of their license, as Windows Server licenses are far from cheap.

My own Ubuntu based server runs IPTV for my whole house via TVheadend as well as running as a PLEX/Kodi media server and it never reboots - Not even to update. It also cost me the price of two PlayTV DTV tuners second hand off Ebay. I'd never purchase Windows server simply for file server duties, that's a colossal waste of money.

Based on my own experience, Windows Server is pretty good, but it's not as good as Linux. Sorry. Furthermore, I question anyone running Windows Server 2016 at home and the legitimacy of their license, as Windows Server licenses are far from cheap.

My own Ubuntu based server runs IPTV for my whole house via TVheadend as well as running as a PLEX/Kodi media server and it never reboots - Not even to update. It also cost me the price of two PlayTV DTV tuners second hand off Ebay. I'd never purchase Windows server simply for file server duties, that's a colossal waste of money.

Pretty much spot on. Why would anyone pay 500 US dollars for a copy of windows server essentials... or a grand for windows server standard. (and everything but essentials is I believe still sold per core) For home use ? It boggles the mind. Never mind that Linux is the better choice anyway.

MS doesn't make windows server to be used as a file server... can it do it. Sure but ya unless you have an office with at least 10+ users and some specific reason for a windows backend its not the SKU MS is selling you. I guess if you got money to burn they'll sell you a licence but its not a logical option.

I work from home and this wouldn't be even called a home server if you don't mind. "File server" is just one small out of ten other uses, it's development (many server softwares), collects backups from production servers (1Gig up/down internet), etc.
The topic (and many others) is not about questioning anyone's legitimacy, I believe, and whether someone popped up the money for a license from its own physical pocket?
Everyonoe is clear enough about how much a software costs and whether he/she can obtain a license somehow. It's the OP's responsibility. If he can afford or has already, he can try Server to see if it can fulfil their needs. Win10 as a server ... why not, a "server" is just how you use the machine and not inherently to use a dedicated special set of software. For home use it can be a file server where you just store your terabytes of data. Will Win10 be Ok with that? Why not..
"not as good as Linux"
- well, I guess it depends on point of view and what and how it's used for. My own experiences with Linux WHEN I try to GUI into them (no way all among us who maintain our servers be Ok with all commandline fiddling around in Linux but we are successful with Windows for decades) to do something is they are Very unstable and crash quickly. If No GUI = forget about. 2 out of 3 installations in the near past were taken to a halt just hours after the installation and tuning. Linux is good but when talking about GUI, it's (reliability is) crap, and it's not an opinion to blame an OS or to just talk negatively. With no GUI linux can be very good (if maintained by a very knowledgeable person) no doubt. In this topic, OP is not Ok with linux and he runs windows software on the 'server'. He can decide for himself now ;) .

I work from home and this wouldn't be even called a home server if you don't mind. "File server" is just one small out of ten other uses, it's development (many server softwares), collects backups from production servers (1Gig up/down internet), etc.
The topic (and many others) is not about questioning anyone's legitimacy, I believe, and whether someone popped up the money for a license from its own physical pocket?
Everyonoe is clear enough about how much a software costs and whether he/she can obtain a license somehow. It's the OP's responsibility. If he can afford or has already, he can try Server to see if it can fulfil their needs. Win10 as a server ... why not, a "server" is just how you use the machine and not inherently to use a dedicated special set of software. For home use it can be a file server where you just store your terabytes of data. Will Win10 be Ok with that? Why not..
"not as good as Linux"
- well, I guess it depends on point of view and what and how it's used for. My own experiences with Linux WHEN I try to GUI into them (no way all among us who maintain our servers be Ok with all commandline fiddling around in Linux but we are successful with Windows for decades) to do something is they are Very unstable and crash quickly. If No GUI = forget about. 2 out of 3 installations in the near past were taken to a halt just hours after the installation and tuning. Linux is good but when talking about GUI, it's (reliability is) crap, and it's not an opinion to blame an OS or to just talk negatively. With no GUI linux can be very good (if maintained by a very knowledgeable person) no doubt. In this topic, OP is not Ok with linux and he runs windows software on the 'server'. He can decide for himself now ;) .

Managing a server via GUI is one of the most inefficient ways to manage a server, even Windows servers I manage via Powershell. However, where the GUI is necessary, it's called VNC and it's really no more difficult to use than RDP. The reliability of the DE (GUI) under Linux is not unreliable in the slightest, there's no accuracy to that comment whatsoever.

I have no doubt that you work from home, and while I could be wrong, I still question the legitimacy of anyone running Windows Server 2016 from home considering licensing costs no matter what the scenario. Especially when the OS is running on what looks to be a gaming PC according to your sig.

Last edited:
Ok, it's your right/freedom to question whatever you want.
My sig has some mixed data and I can't (nor feel I have to) list all my machines or servers. Most of the sig is my main desktop. Again, you don't seem to comprehend that obtaining a Server license (the right to use it) is a 'broad' subject and there are multitude of options especially when you work for some company and do development etc. for them. The physical place where you work from, nowadays has absolutely nothing to do with that, after all... it's the beauty of the internet and IT.

VNC is nothing more than take the remote screen and control/view it just as if you are in front of it. It has nothing to do with whether you use a GUI on the machine you want to control or not. I use VNC as well as RDP extensively and it's comfortable (VNC feels better).
Managing a server the way you manage your home computer (almost the same GUI and not having to remember a plethora of commands and switches) is nothing short of not only acceptable but very workable and efficient. I know the mantra of having the GUI installed on a server.
"one of the most inefficient ways ..."
- well, it's one of two possible major ways - GUI and non-GUI (command lines). GUI actions have their merits and usages. Commandline has its own. My main job is development. The servers are managed not only by me. We are not "hard"-professionals with servers, yet we manage them for almost two decades successfully, servers with dozens of websites, mail servers, FTP, Mysql, ColdFusion etc. We are doing pretty well I dare to say.
To repeat - a server is not only a headless Web or FTP server. I'm sure you can look way beyond your simple linux server scenarios that include pushing the machine and its software in a cabinet and it "quietly" only serves web or mail or ftp requests.
WinServer has its Core editions so if you (or whoever) want, you can skip GUI and use only commandline core. Servers have many use-cases and usages and me and we find the normal WinServer+GUI a very efficient way to manage it over the decades.
I do not feel obliged to match others' opinions nor their usage patterns/situations of their servers. Me too, I use scripts and command lines for things I need to automate.
So, if this worked for us for so long, then ...
Ah, GUI and linux... then maybe we live in parallel universes. Crashing or misbehaving GUI in linux might not crash the kernel itself, yes... but if you use GUI in the first place then you depend on it one way or another and in most cases the GUI misbehaving is almost the same as linux misbehaving. A barebone no-gui linux is Ok, I can admit, although a non-knowledgeable person could damage it miserably almost the same way as Windows.

I'm sorry that the topic may have taken a wrong turn and maybe I have my guilt having started following side-issues/threads.

Pretty much spot on. Why would anyone pay 500 US dollars for a copy of windows server essentials... or a grand for windows server standard. (and everything but essentials is I believe still sold per core) For home use ? It boggles the mind. Never mind that Linux is the better choice anyway.

MS doesn't make windows server to be used as a file server... can it do it. Sure but ya unless you have an office with at least 10+ users and some specific reason for a windows backend its not the SKU MS is selling you. I guess if you got money to burn they'll sell you a licence but its not a logical option.

IPTV...I have metronet now. Is there a way to make it work with plex?

You do know DreamSpark exists and thats where probably the vast majority of people get server OS.....I stated this before.
"not as good as Linux"
This

Managing a server via GUI is one of the most inefficient ways to manage a server, even Windows servers I manage via Powershell. However, where the GUI is necessary, it's called VNC and it's really no more difficult to use than RDP. The reliability of the DE (GUI) under Linux is not unreliable in the slightest, there's no accuracy to that comment whatsoever.

I have no doubt that you work from home, and while I could be wrong, I still question the legitimacy of anyone running Windows Server 2016 from home considering licensing costs no matter what the scenario. Especially when the OS is running on what looks to be a gaming PC according to your sig.
You are really thread derailing dude. Please stop.

You do know DreamSpark exists and thats where probably the vast majority of people get server OS.....I stated this before.

And as stated, I use TVheadend and it works perfectly. If you had have done some research, you would have seen that while TVheadend supports FTA DTV, which is how I'm using it, it also supports IPTV. TVheadend is also supported by Plex using the LiveTVH plugin for Plex.

Plex itself is also, fully supported under Linux. Personally I prefer Kodi, which is also fully supported under Linux. Dreamspark hasn't existed since 2016, I highly doubt Server 2016 is being obtained by the user in question via Microsoft Imagine for students and I believe that Windows Server would be a massive overkill for your situation and I wouldn't be basing a server on an OS that could very well have it's key revoked once you leave your educational institution as it's actually against the EULA to continue using the software in question once leaving the institution.

I simply want to make you aware of the fact that there are better solutions than simply using Windows 7 as a server OS, a task it was never designed for.

Ah, GUI and linux... then maybe we live in parallel universes. Crashing or misbehaving GUI in linux might not crash the kernel itself, yes... but if you use GUI in the first place then you depend on it one way or another and in most cases the GUI misbehaving is almost the same as linux misbehaving.

Except it misbehaves less under Linux than it does under Windows, in my fairly vast experience. Your generalization that the DE under Linux is somehow unstable and crashes a lot is, for lack of a better term, flatly untrue.

Last edited:
unstable faulty pc wont be fixed with different os install imo

I agree with this assessment 100%, especially when restoring an image takes half a day and needs to be done as often as it does.

Windows 7 isn't ideal as a server OS, but I highly doubt Windows 7 is the issue here. Unless the OS actually runs under the raid array and there's an issue with the array?

EDIT: The OP mentions an OS drive. Half a day to recover the OS is way too long, is the OS drive connected to the same controller as the LSI HBA by any chance? What model LSI HBA is it specifically? I assume the LSI HBA also runs the array?

Last edited:
Anecdote that could be relevant:
W7 Pro x64 gaming/in-home streaming VM here started having similar symptoms ~4 days ago after letting WU install updates.
As in: Runs for a few minutes, then disappears from network, explorer/shell unresponsive except for mouse cursor, doesn't react to any keyboard input, doesn't react to ACPI shutdown request. Nothing obvious in event log.

Revert to an earlier snapshot, works fine.
Install updates one by one, hangs within minutes of installing KB4480970 and rebooting.
Revert, let WU install everything except KB4480970.
Not a single hang for 3 days and counting.

Though different to OP, that's a Qemu/KVM VM on E5v1 not bare metal on E5v3.
Might be pure coincidence, YMMV, consult your local MS security expert before not installing patches, etc...

Dreamspark is now Imagine (take it as a name change.
There are other ways as well, company licenses etc.
Home "server" is a very vague term, and being "home", win7 (pro +) is perfectly fine for the job. In this case a 'server' could be just the normal stuff minus a person sitting in front of it working on it. I don't understand all the stuff going on about desktop OS not being suited for home server needs.
On the topic, I also don't think it's the Win7 that is unstable. If not the hardware then some driver. I had Win7 in the past doing the same 5+ months of uptimes.

As to Linux and GUIs, I didn't test all the available guis out there. Just the more popular 4-5-6 and all of them are (were) unstable in all my experiments. KDE (especially and it being one of the most potent), Mate, xfce, gnome, cinnamon... and latest the awful Unity on Ubuntu server. There are some small merits in all of them, I admit, but sometimes even simple poking around the DEs causes things like SIGTERM and similar. Maybe they don't take the whole system down but DE going down and taking all the UI tasks I did currently is enough. Maybe there is some DE that is stable as WIndows Shell (yes!) but every shell requires time to master and there being tens or more available, often is not worth the time and energy. That's my experience with shells and I don't ask anyone to agree or have the same experience. Four hours with a Linux DE are enough to encounter some problem after a clean install, while with Windows, even server with months of uptime, not a signle glitch. My experience, I don't hate or criticise linux by itself. I agree for you to disagree and I'm Ok with that. You seem are not.

Dreamspark is now Imagine (take it as a name change.
There are other ways as well, company licenses etc.
Home "server" is a very vague term, and being "home", win7 (pro +) is perfectly fine for the job. In this case a 'server' could be just the normal stuff minus a person sitting in front of it working on it. I don't understand all the stuff going on about desktop OS not being suited for home server needs.
On the topic, I also don't think it's the Win7 that is unstable. If not the hardware then some driver. I had Win7 in the past doing the same 5+ months of uptimes.

As to Linux and GUIs, I didn't test all the available guis out there. Just the more popular 4-5-6 and all of them are (were) unstable in all my experiments. KDE (especially and it being one of the most potent), Mate, xfce, gnome, cinnamon... and latest the awful Unity on Ubuntu server. There are some small merits in all of them, I admit, but sometimes even simple poking around the DEs causes things like SIGTERM and similar. Maybe they don't take the whole system down but DE going down and taking all the UI tasks I did currently is enough. Maybe there is some DE that is stable as WIndows Shell (yes!) but every shell requires time to master and there being tens or more available, often is not worth the time and energy. That's my experience with shells and I don't ask anyone to agree or have the same experience. Four hours with a Linux DE are enough to encounter some problem after a clean install, while with Windows, even server with months of uptime, not a signle glitch. My experience, I don't hate or criticise linux by itself. I agree for you to disagree and I'm Ok with that. You seem are not.

This is the last I'm going to say in relation to anything on this matter as your just dragging discussion off topic. As a user running a vast number of Linux based systems, there is nothing unstable or unreliable in regards to any DE that I know of in direct comparison to any GUI under Windows. To make such a claim is flat out ridiculous. The entire Hollywood special effects industry is primarily based around Linux for their workstations as well as their servers/clusters, and I know for a fact their operating systems including their DE's are running just fine.

My main PC runs Linux, I never turn it off, it updates without requiring a reboot and I've never, once, had the DE crash.

Last edited:
W7 Pro x64 gaming/in-home streaming VM here started having similar symptoms ~4 days ago after letting WU install updates.
As in: Runs for a few minutes, then disappears from network, explorer/shell unresponsive except for mouse cursor, doesn't react to any keyboard input, doesn't react to ACPI shutdown request. Nothing obvious in event log.

Install updates one by one, hangs within minutes of installing KB4480970 and rebooting.

Might be pure coincidence, YMMV, consult your local MS security expert before not installing patches, etc...

It still shouldn't take half a day just to recover the OS...Within itself, that's symptomatic of an issue bigger than simply the OS.

Citing the first post:
"It is completely stable in safe mode with networking though."
- Obviously it has (or with great chance) something to do with WIndows 7 or some of its services/drivers. Maybe a Windows Update issue, MS is known to be purposely conducting Win7 to its death by any means.
OP, if you can just use Win10 or at least try recent Windows Server (if Mazzspeed didn't know, there are also trial versions, and I 'heard' eval versions have 6 months worth of time AND you can rearm (extend) the eval period with just a built-in command up to 3 years, again, I 'heard') to rule out a hardware issue.
But your strategy would be better off to run diagnostics on hardware, memtest, SMART status of disks, diagnostic tools from the HDD mfg (Seatools or WD datalife or whatever).

Mazzspeed, like I said, it is your right to disagree. Very recent achievements in Linux DEs might have changed things but given my (not so lengthy) experiences with linux over tha past 20 years, I'm a biiit sceptical, so I'm too done with this.

Mazzspeed, like I said, it is your right to disagree. Very recent achievements in Linux DEs might have changed things but given my (not so lengthy) experiences with linux over tha past 20 years, I'm a biiit sceptical, so I'm too done with this.

Disagreement has nothing to do with it. You're flat out incorrect.

Disagreement has nothing to do with it. You're flat out incorrect.
Incorrect in what exactly?
That's my own experiences over the years. Just like Windows could behave differently with different hardware/drivers/software combinations, Linux is no different in that respect. It's very bold to call my observations flat out incorrect. I admit I don't have observations on the latest (1-2 years) achievements in Linux DEs, only that I have tried them the other day and at least UX-wise, they werent up to par with my expectations, even feature-wise, except for few clever and smart additions here and there.

And now you folks end up taking it to the next step where you're basically arguing about the UI of Linux desktop environments.

In a thread that is basically about Windows 7 Professional and some stability issues on a given machine as fairly clearly stated by the OP.

Are you kidding me? o_O

And now you folks end up taking it to the next step where you're basically arguing about the UI of Linux desktop environments.

In a thread that is basically about Windows 7 Professional and some stability issues on a given machine as fairly clearly stated by the OP.

Are you kidding me? o_O
Except for the last two posts (your being the first), other posts still had something in common with the topic which included "Which OS should I install" (which at least implies to some degree arguing about the above things).

If you're at a stage where you need GUIs to configure your services or shares, OR just don't have a desire to learn about running something new (ex. linux, or FreeNAS), OR just want to get back on with life quickly. Then my take would be to use a desktop Windows OS and try to screw with it as little as possible.
Install Windows 10 so that you don't have to dick with this stuff again this time next year when Windows 7 goes EOL. Drive only your storage array with the raid card, use something affordable like a 128GB SSD for your OS drive. Put data in the RAID data bucket, put only apps and services on SSD. Setup a share or two to your data bucket, start pumping your Plex full of movie trailers and converted family VHS tapes. Set your work hours in 10 and let it maintain itself. It'll be fine. Just let it sit there and spin. Whenever you get the "hey let me try this" bug, then fire up a VM or risk creeping instability.

Before you do any of that though. Go test your hardware with Memtest and associated hardware stressing & testing tools, SMART check your drives, etc...

My 2¢

I don't know I doubt the "vast majority" of people really qualify for student pricing.

Thanks for the info! That is the exact situation I have. I'll take not of that update.
It still shouldn't take half a day just to recover the OS...Within itself, that's symptomatic of an issue bigger than simply the OS.
dude. I already told you that you are patently wrong. Please stop. Its embarrassing to read.

Citing the first post:
"It is completely stable in safe mode with networking though."
- Obviously it has (or with great chance) something to do with WIndows 7 or some of its services/drivers. Maybe a Windows Update issue, MS is known to be purposely conducting Win7 to its death by any means.
OP, if you can just use Win10 or at least try recent Windows Server (if Mazzspeed didn't know, there are also trial versions, and I 'heard' eval versions have 6 months worth of time AND you can rearm (extend) the eval period with just a built-in command up to 3 years, again, I 'heard') to rule out a hardware issue.
But your strategy would be better off to run diagnostics on hardware, memtest, SMART status of disks, diagnostic tools from the HDD mfg (Seatools or WD datalife or whatever).

As i posed before, the restore worked and I have not done WU since. It hasn't had 1 issue since. It is obviously Windows update corrupted something because everything is perfect again with no issues. I'll probably try to do 1 update at a time like the post above and pay close attention to that update because he had the exact same issue i had.
I don't know I doubt the "vast majority" of people really qualify for student pricing.
All you need to do is take a class at CC and you have access to Dreamspark. It is super simple. (depends on the CC and what they get. My CC had way better offering than my formal state college. I thought that was kinda odd.)

I downloaded all the OSes I could back in like 2014? Still using them just fine.

I call BS on this. Show us a picture of your actual uptime showing that much on a Windows Server. That means you haven't installed any major security updates in that time, as almost all of them require a reboot. I mean I have many Windows Servers running right now, just in the last month they had updates that required reboots.

Are you kidding me? o_O

Not for nothing, but the threat title literally says,
"Which OS should I install?"

Not sure what your issue is with people discussing merits of OS's.

KB4480970 caused a lot of issues for our customer's as well. If the PC is running stable and you are just having network share trouble the following command resolves it:

reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\system /v LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

I believe update KB4487345 was released 1\12 to fix the things 970 broke as well.

Moving to a Windows based server platform won't likely fix your issue. It updates regularly and occasionally it breaks stuff. That's just Windows. As someone else in the thread pointed out you can remove updates individually through add/remove problems. As long as the machine is kept up to date there are normally only a couple updates to try removing at a time if issues arise.

Microsoft tends to fix their updates within a week or so of release when there are major problems. You may just want to move to a bi-weekly or monthly update schedule and see if that helps.

Of the OS's you listed Windows 10 or server 2012 are probably the best options. everything else loses support next year.

Last edited:
dude. I already told you that you are patently wrong. Please stop. Its embarrassing to read.

And to quote yourself...

Doing these restores require like half a day. So damn slow.

I've used Arcronis myself, and like this user posted:

I have used Acronis TrueImage for backup/restore for almost 10 years and what you are describing is . . . . . . . insane.

I can boot from a USB thumbdrive with Acronis on it, and do a full system restore, pulling in the backup image from an external hard drive, in less than 20 minutes total, from start to finish.

I think your "array" has some serious configuration problems.

It doesn't take me anywhere near that time to restore the OS. If it did take that amount of time due to some reason out of my control, I would dump Arcronis as backup software.

So, once again:

- Is the OS drive connected to the LSI HBA controller?
- What model is the LSI HBA controller?
- For clarity, I assume the LSI HBA also runs the array? Is this correct?

All you need to do is take a class at CC and you have access to Dreamspark. It is super simple. (depends on the CC and what they get. My CC had way better offering than my formal state college. I thought that was kinda odd.)

I downloaded all the OSes I could back in like 2014? Still using them just fine.

So you're not doing the course any more and what you are doing is actually against the EULA. Activation does not equal legal. Now before you lash out and start attacking again, understand that what I'm stating is factually correct. My guess is that you're now going to claim that you're still doing the course.

Try insulting a little less and try answering simple questions a little more. Your attitude outright sucks. Don't blame me for the Linux discussion, I didn't start it.

I call BS on this. Show us a picture of your actual uptime showing that much on a Windows Server. That means you haven't installed any major security updates in that time, as almost all of them require a reboot. I mean I have many Windows Servers running right now, just in the last month they had updates that required reboots.

I'll be honest, the comments in question regarding uptime had me thinking the same thing...

And to quote yourself...

I've used Arcronis myself, and like this user posted:

It doesn't take me anywhere near that time to restore the OS. If it did take that amount of time due to some reason out of my control, I would dump Arcronis as backup software.

So, once again:

- Is the OS drive connected to the LSI HBA controller?
- What model is the LSI HBA controller?
- For clarity, I assume the LSI HBA also runs the array? Is this correct?

So you're not doing the course any more and what you are doing is actually against the EULA. Activation does not equal legal. Now before you lash out and start attacking again, understand that what I'm stating is factually correct. My guess is that you're now going to claim that you're still doing the course.

Try insulting a little less and try answering simple questions a little more. Your attitude outright sucks. Don't blame me for the Linux discussion, I didn't start it.
maybe reread the thread? I dont need to bottle feed you. I actually read your posts word for word...maybe do the same?

maybe reread the thread? I dont need to bottle feed you. I actually read your posts word for word...maybe do the same?

What the fuck is wrong with you? 20 posts and all you seem to be capable of is abuse?

With an attitude like yours, you seriously don't deserve the assistance of anyone participating in these forums.

Sounds like there really isn't much of a problem here except a pissing contest.....

What was the question again?

Back