Win 7 Pro 64bit: what is using up all of my drive space?

leh18621

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a laptop with a 128gb SSD. I already deleted the recovery partition and added that disk space to my C drive. C drive is 110gb (there is also an 8gb Hibernate partition, although I only have 4gb of RAM which I thought was strange). All that is installed on this laptop is Windows, and MS Office 2010, and I have 13gb worth of my files in the Documents folder. I am thinking this should only use about maybe 50gb of drive space. However, my free disk space is been slowly decreasing over time and I now only have 5gb free space out of 110gb.

Are there Windows log files that are growing out of control or something? I know I don't have a virus or spyware. I also cleaned up free disk space but that only got me 1.5gb.

Any ideas?

What's using up all of your drive space? WinDirStat will visually depict file sizes.

Might be your system restore setting, under system protection. It saves restore points in case you need to restore system to an earlier state.

I appreciate all info so tomorrow I am going to sit down and try/look at these things.

Hibernation file, Virtual memory, and system restore are the primary reasons why Windows looks bloated after an installation and even more bloated as time continues.

The default setting for system restore has been completely broken since Windows Vista. It uses a percentage of your drive size and often comes preset at some ridiculously high amount like 20%. I still remember when I built my 3 x 640GB RAID0 array back in 2009 and within weeks it was using nearly 100GB out of 200GB allotted. At that point you're better off using actual incremental backups than the hackjob it was doing.

I use SpaceSniffer to see what's using space on rigs, very useful.

You'll see quickly what is using space.

i have an htpc system that was using 80 gigs for system restore. I cleared out all the restore points turned off system restore and it continues to grow back even while off also i tried setting the size limiter to 0 or 1% and ill come back later and it will be back to 50%... windows 7 32 bit... amd 6400+ 2 gig of ddr with a 160 gb ide drive

Just be sure to go back and delete the hibernate file after you disable it (if you choose to do so, as most people with SSD's do). For some reason windows retains the original hib file after the feature is disabled. I had to manually delete mine.

With that 128Gb drive you're going to be suffering with space permanently anyway. Why not upgrade?

Back