win 7 + kms activation

bloo

Limp Gawd
my IT job on campus gives us a copy of win 7. the catch is you have to be on the schools network within a certain timeframe (i believe its 7 days) for it to remain activated.

anyways, i was wondering if there was any way for me to vpn onto the schools network so i could keep the copy of win 7 activated when im away for the summer.

any ideas?

One would think contacting someone in the IT dept of your institution could answer that question. Considering the licensing, I'm sure it's a topic they are well aware of and should be able to provide significantly more info on.

once you activate, your activation will last for 180 days and it will try to reactivate every 7 days (resetting the number back to 180 if successful). So as long as you activate on campus before you leave you should be good to go. For VPN ask someone at your work.

If you open a Command Prompt (Admin level is not required with this command) and type the following command:

slmgr -xpr (and press Enter)

after a few moments of processing you'll get a dialogue box that pops up and lets you know the "current" status of the licensing of the machine you issue the command on with respect to how much time is left on the current activation aka when it expires, hence the -xpr switch.

This info is explained in more detail in the Volume Activation Technical Reference Guide at:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee355153.aspx

Some pretty useful commands in there...

my IT job on campus gives us a copy of win 7. the catch is you have to be on the schools network within a certain timeframe (i believe its 7 days) for it to remain activated.

anyways, i was wondering if there was any way for me to vpn onto the schools network so i could keep the copy of win 7 activated when im away for the summer.

any ideas?
I've never heard of such a thing, anywhere.

KMS servers work that way, but a 7 day activation window is a bit excessive in terms of time factor. The OP can use slmgr -dlv to do a license verification and make sure it's actually that kind of installation; the -xpr info is still useful, however.

If it shows a MAK in place it's possible they could be limiting things that drastically but, yeah, it's a bit odd.

My version of 7 uses a KMS key and when I installed it I told it not to look for a license server and I haven't gotten the pop up since. Are you sure it will give you issues when you are off the network?

Back