Win 7 Extreme Computer Slow Down Help Plz!

I'm experiencing an issue. I have an Asus G71gx laptop. I'm running Win7 x64 on it. The issue is randomly after a period of time the processor load will increase a huge amount, such that the mouse is very unresponsive. I can move it but it stutters across the screen and will stop for a second or two before responding to my movement. I'm not sure what the issue could be. There is no single process running that causes the issue. I've tried to get the process screen up to see what might be using so much system resources but the system is so slowed down at that point it is impossible. Was thinking about just wiping it for a fresh install of Win 7, but was wondering if anyone had any ideas before doing the whole wipe... Specs in my signature.

What about loading up Task Manager or Resource Monitor before the slow down occurs? Do you ever notice a pattern, such as something you are doing right before it slows?

After the slow down, it is too slow to respond to even bring up the task manager. The thing about doing it before is that when it occurs it is random. I never know when it will happen. But when it does happen the processor load goes up and down so erratically it's crazy. No pattern that I know of other than just being on the internet using firefox. I've managed to kill firefox during the slow down which didn't help.

I'd have to do this from memory cause I'm at work but nothing abnormal: Zune software, Thunderbird, Symantec Antivirus, various Asus utilities that come with new Asus computers, and firefox. i believe those are the only ones...

Well another possibly related symptom is that occasionally is will lock up with extreme processor load then bluescreen. I was thinking it could be a hard drive issue... Maybe Ram? Think I should run a memtest or something on it?

Do you have the STOP codes from the bluescreen? Disable automatic reboots, if you haven't already, and then you'll get to see the blue screen. You should also be able to find the events in your Event Viewer. That info might help to pinpoint a problem.

I've found that when my Windows 7 backup kicks off, my mouse responsiveness drops drastically. Are you noticing the slow down at the same day/time each time?

As for blue screen errors, write down the stop error (typically in format: 0x######## (where each # is a number)). You can then easily check Microsoft's knowledge base with that code.

Well as an update I ran MemTest 4.0 for a few hours yesterday turning up no ram problems. The thing is I have to change the settings to not auto restart and I don't remember to do that until I get a bluescreen, so every time the bluescreen comes up it still auto restarts. It was happening yesterday as soon as the windows logo was coming up on the computer and was there for a minute or so. It had to do "Win 7 startup repair" or something like that, then it finally started.

Some more background, there was not specific task that I believe this was associated with. (I do manual backups). Also the processor would go near max usage and the computer would slow down when trying to open Outlook. Outlook would never start up anymore it would just kick the processor into high gear and then become unresponsive. I replaced that with Thunderbird. Now firefox is doing the same thing but firefox just doesn't come up. I have to kill the firefox process to get it to become more responsive. I dunno what the heck is going on!

While I am sure your problem is solveable, I think the best thing would be to save all of your data, and then reformat and do a clean install of Windows 7. The reason I say that would be it seems like you are now in the desperation phase and installing/uninstalling items left and right, probably masking the problem even more, (its ok, its a normal symptom and we have all done it at one time or another).

If you haven't done too much damage or still want to try and repair the OS install, I would turn off the auto reboot function, and also run task manager or perf mon just minimized all the time until you get this slowdown. When the slowdown occurs, you won't have to start up the new program but rather maximize it instead, and help possibly identify the problematic software. If you can't turn off the auto reboot option, take a picture of that screen with your cell phone or something and post it back here....

I'll probably do a fresh install since i keep the files I want backed up pretty well and it won't take too long to get it done. I'm just hoping it's not a hardware problem. It seems to be jumping around in what program causes it. Really screwy i tell ya. But when I got this machine it came preloaded with vista and the first thing I did was throw a fresh win 7 ultimate on it. The downfall of that was Asus hadn't created much win 7 software yet so I was using a lot of the old Win Vista utilities which may be the issue. One quick question does the BIOS get wiped when formatting the drive for a new windows?

If you can remember to disable auto restart, then the next time it bluescreens, it should be able to complete a crash dump. Then you can visit the c:\windows\minidump folder to get the crash dump log. Windows Debugger can read the crash dump and provide more information about what is specifically causing the BSODs.

Ok, so after a fresh install the problem that started this whole mess, even going from when I bought the machine, is firefox randomly becomes unresponsive for a minute or two. This was the original issue that eventually spawned all these issues and after a fresh Win 7 install an about the only thing installed being Firefox and windows updates... it's back. Any ideas?

It could have something to do with flash I think it occured pre-flash install tho. Not sure how to check the page file?

Also how do u shut off auto restart?

To disable the automatic reboot after a STOP error (BSoD), do the following:

In Control Panel, click on the System and Security link, then on System.
Click on Advanced System Settings.
In the Startup and Recovery section, click on the Settings button.
Uncheck the box next to Automatically restart.

Should be good to go from there.

Regarding the actual error, have you checked the logs to see what is causing the blue screen? If you determined it was due to flash, keep in mind that IE 64bit and flash don't play nicely yet (if I remember correctly).

For those that do not have Godlike PC repair and diagnosis skillz and are trying to build a computer.

1) Restart the computer in Safe mode.
2) See if the problem still exists.
If yes.....reformat and Goto Step 4
If no...... restart in normal mode and start disabling items using MSconfig until problem driver, program or service is located.
Remove faulty driver, program or service...does the problem still exist?
If Yes = Goto Step 4
If No = Congratulations you fixed it!
4) problem still exists?
Yes = Start Hardware diagnostics to locate hardware issue
No = Reinstall OS
5) Reinstalled OS....working properly?
No = Check for OS Hardware Compatibility, Verify All installed drivers are signed, Start Hardware diagnosis for faulty hardware
Yes = Congratulations you fixed it!

This is a a very dumb down version, but for installing a clean machine on a unknown hardware set this is what I recommend.

Last edited:
Back