Win 7: Customizing folder options for individual folders

Harb

Limp Gawd
Is there any way to set folder options differently for individual folders?

I'm the type of person who likes having hidden files shown, but that has become more trouble than it's worth in Win7.

For example, I like having hidden files shown in any of my Program Files folders as well as in the Windows directory and all subfolders; it makes tweaking/finding system files much easier. But, enable hidden file showing in my C:/user folder doubles the amount of icons in there with all sorts of useless shortcuts and hidden files I'll never need to deal with and that just add clutter.

Is there any way to set folder view options on a folder-by-folder basis? I hate the way Win7 has made it a blanket system-wide setting :\

As far as I know it is the same as in previous Windows, so the setting is system-wide only. That's an interesting idea though now that you mention it, I would use a feature like that.

It's ALWAYS been a blanket system-wide setting. The answer is still no. If it wasn't no, it'd be inconvienient and annoying. If you wanted to turn it on you'd have to turn it on for every single folder.

It's ALWAYS been a blanket system-wide setting. The answer is still no. If it wasn't no, it'd be inconvienient and annoying. If you wanted to turn it on you'd have to turn it on for every single folder.

I could have sworn there was an option along the lines of "Set all folders like this one" in the folder options -> view menu. Maybe back in the XP sp1 or sp2 days. I thought I remembered setting it to have hidden/system files not visible by default, and then setting the individual /windows and other select folders to have them visible.

Oh well, maybe if we're lucky this will be an option included with Windows 12 or something... Maybe after they finally get around to other silly stuff like fully customizable start menu shortcuts.

I never had a problem setting folders differently in XPpro, was curious why it changed in W7.

Just put it back. Like, I want hidden files visible in some places, but not in others... like on the desktop. MSoft is over 30 yrs old now, they still engineer like shit. Always some weird arbitrary constraint.

Just put it back. Like, I want hidden files visible in some places, but not in others... like on the desktop. MSoft is over 30 yrs old now, they still engineer like shit. Always some weird arbitrary constraint.
People who know what a "Hidden file" is are a tiny segment of the market (probably less than a percent). If you could customize whether hidden files were shown on a per-directory basis it would be a support nightmare. It will never happen, and it never SHOULD happen.

Back