Win 7 connectivity issue when running inside Virtual PC

SlowCobra

Limp Gawd
Not sure if this belongs here or in the Virtualization section. Anyway I decided to play around with Win7 inside Virtual PC. This is a fresh install of Win 7 build 7100. No matter what I do I keep getting the unidentified network. I have tried both static and dynamic addressing and neither resolves the issue. I have tried win 7 and Vista NIC drivers as well and still having the same issue.

I browsed the Win7 forums and it seemed many people had an issue related to software that was installed. Other than the attempt at NIC drivers there is no other software installed.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue and if so what did you do to resolve it?

I have to imagine I am not the only one attempting to run Win 7 virtually. Perhaps it is an issue with using Virtual PC and I should switch over to a different software?!?

Stop using VirtualPC, for one thing. Use VirtualBox, infinitely superior in almost all respects. VirtualPC is old now - and since you're using Vista as your host OS, you're using the old version (VPC2007), you'll be way better off doing your testing and playing around with VirtualBox.

VPC2007 doesn't support VT-x, which your quad CPU does have, and VirtualBox will so that'll give you a nice boost in performance right off the bat when running the VM. There's other aspects as well, but suffice to say... move on from VPC2007, it had its time in the sun and is now better relegated to older OSes like XP if necessary. It's not cut out for Windows 7 as a guest OS.

Hope this helps...

I'll second Joe on VirtualBox. Here's why, I started w/ VirtualPC first, found there were shortcomings, moved to VMWare, and then reeled when I considered the cost of legit licensing on various machines.

So, I gave VirtualBox a whirl, not expecting much, and I have found it fits all my needs; and it won't break the bank.

However, just to humor VirtualPC problems (heh), I'll take a stab and say that it's probably something to do with the "virtual Network adapters" mode settings. Are you running it with the serttings local-only, extranet, or shared w/ NAT?

When I decided to play with this I knew there was a better alternative but for the life of me could not remember what it was called. Goodbye VPC it's been fun while it lasted.

Back