Win 7 + BD player + Nvidia 8200 = all I need for playback?

rpeters83

Gawd
My setup is a mini HTPC with a Nvidia 8200 chipset running Win 7. I plan on picking up a bluray drive to watch movies. Is this all I need? Is there any HDCP-related software that I need so that there are no hiccups or issues? Thanks.

You will need to make sure the HDCP chain is working. That chain includes the drive, playback software, video card, video cable and monitor. I mention cable because you will need to be using HDMI. Everything in that chain must be HCDP compliant.

Allan

I am pretty sure you will need a software player that can handle BD. Total Media Theatre 2/3, Power DVD 8/9, etc.

If you buy a BD drive, see if you can get the retail version over the OEM. The retail usually come with BD capable software like PowerDVD. Otherwise I recommend TotalMedia because of it's Media Center integration.

Well here is my chain. Nvidia 8200, which I believe should be fine according to their site, HDMI out to handle video/audio, Windows 7, which I believe supports bluray via WMP 12. My TV is just a newer 47" LG.

Should I be good?

The motherboard looks OK, Win7 doesnt matter, should work just as well as Vista or XP, the TV I would assume would be just fine, my only question is I do not think WMP12 will naively play BDs, you may need third party software (much like XP playing DVDs needed).

Allan

Back