Win 7 & a linksys wireless adapter

Cally

Limp Gawd
I installed Win 7 64 bit version Beta today on a 40Gb hd I had. I did a format and clean install. Everything seemed to go well until I tried to connect to the internet. The only option it gives me is broadband and it seems to be dialing up. If I try to install the 4.1 driver it doesn't work so the adapter is not recognized by Win 7.
Any suggestions on how to get internet access? Maybe I should try the 32 bit version instead?

What wireless card are you using, model number and version would be helpful.

I have a Linksys WMP54G ver3 card that Vista 64 and Win7 32 detect and use right off the bat. I didn't know for sure if it would work in Win7 until my friend borrowed it last night as the onboard NIC of the board he was using to test didn't work with 7. If Win7 has working drivers in the 32 bit version, I see no reason why it wouldn't have working drivers in the 64 bit version as well. I also have another WMP54G card but it's version 4.1. I have no clue if it works properly or not in Win7 and I don't feel like shutting down a couple machines to find out.

I'll try changing the slots then and see if that helps it get detected.

I'm surprised the card even works. I'm running x64 Vista right now on my desktop but the wireless card has been completely spazzing out. It can detect and recognize it with a strong signal and whatnot but I can't use the internet despite being "connected". Makes me rage. And I thought you Linksys didn't support x64 drivers so you had to get that Ralink driver? That's what I did atleast.

Using WMP54G version 4.1 works fine.I did a update instead of clean install.

Interesting, but I assume that it wouldn't apply to me because I'm pretty sure I have the GS model rather than G.

64-bit compatibility of network cards seems to be more miss than hit. I'm 2 for 4 myself.

For example, the Netgear WG311v3 b/g PCI card doesn't work. It has 64-bit drivers, but they aren't signed. C'mon, everyone knows 64-bit Vista (and beyond) require digitally signed drivers. Doesn't matter though.. I F8'd and the driver was flaky as hell.

But my piece of junk Netgear WG111v2 b/g USB adapter works perfectly. That doesn't make sense!

Oh, and both devices say "Vista compatible" on the box. :mad:

Yeah, since I just reformatted to Vista x64 and only having wireless it's a complete pain in the ass. So my options have been to suck it up and drill a hole through the floor since my router is downstairs or consider reformatting back to x86(I'm trying to pick between Vista or 7 Beta), since I only have 2gb of ram anyways.

Wal-Mart has Netgear WG111v2 b/g USB adapters for $34.17. Say what you want about Wal-Mart, but it's better than waiting for one to ship from across the continent. That looks like the cheapest workaround, and hey, you'd then have a USB wireless adapter, which is a useful thing to have sometimes.

They're in stock at a store 15 minutes away from me.. YMMV, check here:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5148147

Download these drivers to a flash drive:
ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/wg111v2_3_4_0.zip

Extract 'em to the PC and run Setup. Don't plug in the network adapter until the installer tells you to. Seriously. You'll end up with conflicting drivers if you do.

If the installer fails (or doesn't do anything) after telling you to plug in the USB adapter, go to Update Driver and manually select C:\Program Files (x86)\NETGEAR\WG111v2\driver\Vista64 ... then the installer should magically resume.

I didn't even need to run setup in compatibility mode, but again YMMV.

I have a wmp and an airlink, both were fully operational after installation of W7x64.

Yeah- I downloaded a driver from Ralink but the thing is, I had no idea which driver to download so I just picked anyone. Could this explain why my card isn't working properly? It's detected and gets a signal but it never shows my pc receiving packets.

I have a WMP54G V1, I believe. It has never worked under Vista 64 or W7 64 without installing the Ralink drivers. Linksys, AFAIK hasn't made a 64-bit driver for the old version of the card. I installed the W7 Beta last night hoping that it would auto detect...no luck. x86 worked fine, though.

I am going to have to try the ralink drivers then as I have not had any luck getting this to work. I DL Win 7 32 and still no luck having the card recognized. What driver should I download I don't see any that I am familar with. My card is the slim profile one that doesn't show a version number.

Back