Win 2k3 Server Enterp n00b help

Mr. Baz

2[H]4U
Two questions, which could probably be answered quite easily for those that are used to working on these:

1) Active Directory is installed. I want the users to be able to use programs that are installed on the server instead of having to install it to the local machine on every client. How do I set this up? I was starting to think it was Terminal Services or IIS but M$ help and FAQ's are shit.

2) I want to be able to log on to this server from remote locations either over the internet or VPN. How would I go about setting this up? (Remote acces/VPN role?)

3) I just want a simple FTP folder that a friend and I can d/l an u/l files to each other. Over the intarweb of course.

Thanks ahead of time.

1. You might be thinking of Terminal Services. Terminal Services will allow multiple people to logon to the server at one time and use the same applications at once.

2. You might be thinking of this to allow remote access. You don't need to install that, but it makes it a lot easier.

3. If you have IIS installed and running already you can easily add an FTP site within the IIS snap-in.

Nebuchadnezzar said:
1. You might be thinking of Terminal Services. Terminal Services will allow multiple people to logon to the server at one time and use the same applications at once.

2. You might be thinking of this to allow remote access. You don't need to install that, but it makes it a lot easier.

3. If you have IIS installed and running already you can easily add an FTP site within the IIS snap-in.

3) How exactly do I go about doing that. I've already found out about IIS and some of these other questions (from other forums) but no one seems to know HOW to do it....either that or they think I can just take "Use IIS" and make everything magically happen without knowing HOW to use IIS to make it happen. :(

Start off by checking to make sure that you have the File Transport Protocol Server installed for IIS to utilize. Do so by going to Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel, and click on "Add/Remove Windows Componets". Select Internet Information Services (IIS) and click "Details..." Ensure that File Transport Protocol Server is checked.

Once you have installed the service, go into the IIS snap-in and double click "*servername". You then should see a list of sites that are hosted on your server. Then click on the Action menu > New > FTP Site. There should be a quick setup process that you have to go through in order to get it working.

Also remember that when you'll be running any services, whether it be FTP, HTTP, or RDP, you will need to forward the correct ports to your computer. Many ISPs block the ports so you cannot run servers over their connections.

If you are going to run an outside FTP site on an MS Server make DAMN SURE that you at least run the MSBA too (Security analyzer from MS, Google it.) That's the easiest step to hardening it.

Keep in mind too, that the base install of 2K3 only includes 3 Terminal logins at one time ( 2 RDP, and 1 console) unless you want to buy liscenses.

Back