Win 2000 Pro - questions

cuemasterfl

Supreme [H]ardness
I currently run XP Home (came with the computer) and I love it. I also have Windows 2000 Pro sitting on the shelf, and my professor stated that Windows 2000 pro with Service Packs is the most stable OS ever (maybe he meant most stable Windows ever).

There are 2 reasons I have stayed with XP:

1) ClearType.
I love cleartype, and it's a shame Windows 2000 doesn't have it.

2) Multiple users logged on at the same time.
I like to leave my trillian running, and maybe other stuff in the background while I am at work. My 13 year old daughter likes to use the computer when I am not home, on her own screen name of course. I hate having to log myself off so that someone else can use the computer (as you would have to do with Windows 2000 pro).

Who here uses Windows 2000 Pro? Should I stay with XP Home? I would also love to be able to have more control over what she does on the computer, rather than simply setting her as a restricted user. I understand this would be better done with Windows 2000 pro than XP Home.

Comments/suggestions/advice welcome :)

Personally, I'd stay with XP.

Win2K is great and all (I use it on my personal machine), but XP doesn't have some of the software/hardware/OS compatibility errors that 2k has. At my brothers school, they bought brand-new top of the line computers, reformatted them with 2k. Not 2 weeks later, they couldnt get hardware to work right, their XP software wouldnt work on the mostly NT based 2k, etc. Besides, XP gives the best, easiest, friendliest experiance I've had. I mean, besides Linux. ;)

Hope I could help...

-JN

What about with SP4 though? It should be super stable after a 4th Service Pack.

Not too sure if using local policies can help in XP home but you may want to research that. What's wrong with setting her up on a non-admin account?

Win2K: Some people did report problems after SP4, so YMMV.

Are you having stability problems with windows xp? If not, and if stability is the main motivation for switching to 2000, then it probably won't be worth the switch. Logically, though, an older operating system should be more stable, especially after four service packs. That is how some of the unixes have gotten to be so rock solid - years and years of revisions.

Well, I did install Windows 2000 on Saturday night, and uninstalled it Sunday around 3pm.

I wasn't having problems with XP. I just hadn't used 2000 for a long, long time, and there had been 3 service packs since, and I was curious as to how it performed, and if it was faster than XP. It did run faster, but...

Looking at the Windows 2000 screen was nasty without cleartype, even with font smoothing on, and I got tired of it very quickly. Also, it quickly became apparent how much I needed fast user switching after other people wanted to use the computer and I didn't want to log off and close my running programs. :)

Back