Win 11 pro's? con's? opinions?

yea i tend to agree.....everything about it seems to be just a newer build of win 10 and the TPM requirements will be either dropped or quick work arounds will show up
i think the tpm stuff will be for oems to have "windows 11 certified" on the box. at least thats what im hoping...

yea i tend to agree.....everything about it seems to be just a newer build of win 10 and the TPM requirements will be either dropped or quick work arounds will show up
That's entirely possible. I've seen a few reports of people getting it to run on unsupported hardware. Another possibility is MS lets there be a stupid easy work-around for the TPM requirement. That way if you have a problem MS can say your system is not supported and deny any responsibility.

That's entirely possible. I've seen a few reports of people getting it to run on unsupported hardware. Another possibility is MS lets there be a stupid easy work-around for the TPM requirement. That way if you have a problem MS can say your system is not supported and deny any responsibility.
yeah, unsupported could also end up meaning "we're not helping, you figure it out"
edit: and there are work around already, no modding, just a command line install that could be automated in a batch file.

I have a RX5700 and until today, it did not do so. Therefore, do not be surprised when it happens, not if.
I've seen the driver pop up .. but it's just sitting there as an optional update .. doesn't auto install

I just about guarantee they'll allow older systems to run Win11 before it's all said and done. They don't want to splinter use into 2 giant camps again.
They'll probably just lightly gimp it in some way or make it "unsupported" or something along those lines.

My desktop is not compatible ryzen 1700x ...

Laptop is...

But I think it looks like osx so much so I think ms should be sued by apple for the shelf.... As for the start menu did they seriously not learn from windows 8s mistake it was such a big flop they had to distance the next one from it numerically.

They keep trying to reinvent the wheel by copying other systems when they have a good design that people even young children can understand... Why does it need to change...

My desktop is not compatible ryzen 1700x ...

Laptop is...

What are you using to determine this? The app that they removed already claiming that they were going to review things?

As for the start menu did they seriously not learn from windows 8s mistake it was such a big flop they had to distance the next one from it numerically.

The only reason they skipped 9 was because there were several Operating Systems (Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 98se, Windows ME) that were all abbreviated as Windows 9x and skipping 9 was the easiest way to avoid that confusion.

Assuming they let you resize and kill off recommendations, the Start Menu isn't that different from Windows 10 if you tell it to align left. The main difference is the lack of Live Tiles, which a lot of people complained that they never used.

Unrelated to the start menu, I'm noticing more instances where my PC will pause or mini-freeze (a la accessing an old spinning disk that went to sleep) for 5-6 seconds during normal work. It'll give me the "blue spin of doom" almost like Explorer is going to crash, but it eventually rights the ship and works normally. Nothing too horrendous, but it keeps happening. Especially when dealing with folders that have shitloads of files. That combined with the early-stage Start Menu and I think I'm going to restore my Win10 image with Macrium. I'll likely go back to Win 11 after a few more revisions. Probably once the Start Menu is finalized and/or Android app support comes.

EDIT: Went back to my Win10 install and the entire settings area is much, much quicker. Windows Explorer, too. I feel pretty confident these are things that will be fixed over the next few months, but they were annoying for my daily driver.

Last edited:
I have a RX5700 and until today, it did not do so. Therefore, do not be surprised when it happens, not if.
Finally got the "when" auto install of Windows 11's AMD GPU driver 'update" .. BUTT! .. I turned it off via Group Policies
~For all those interested~
Windows + R and type:
gpedit.msc

then go to:
Computer Configuration>Windows Components>Windows Updates>Manage updates offered from Windows Update>"Do not include drivers with Windows Updates"-Enabled

Finally got the "when" auto install of Windows 11's AMD GPU driver 'update" .. BUTT! .. I turned it off via Group Policies
~For all those interested~
Windows + R and type:
gpedit.msc

then go to:
Computer Configuration>Windows Components>Windows Updates>Manage updates offered from Windows Update>"Do not include drivers with Windows Updates"-Enabled
heres the thing.....after doing a full driver uninstall and DDU before letting it win update.....the results are perfect with even a newer driver than whats on amd site.....im just saying

heres the thing.....after doing a full driver uninstall and DDU before letting it win update.....the results are perfect with even a newer driver than whats on amd site.....im just saying

Also, the driver from Windows updates does not supply a control panel.

Capture.JPG

here it is AGAIN

I test AMD Beta GPU drivers .. so I don't want Windows 11's auto/default drivers .. that's MY thing (y)

I guess we'll see when we get closer to release and official builds are released instead of the leaked build that is floating around that most people are discussing at the moment.

The actual reality of all of this is that most consumers are going to see that their PC isn't compatible (if they even care enough to check) and they will move on with life.

This thread was asking about pros / cons...

Direct storage is a huge pro for gaming when game developers start implementing it in PC gaming... They made this seem like a Windows 11 only feature. To be honest, this seems like reason enough for gamers to want to upgrade. It isn't clear if this will stop games from running or just affect performance on Windows 10 PCs that don't support direct storage... Again, time will tell when we get further along with releases and see at least one game dev implement direct storage, so people have something to evaluate.

Another huge pro I saw was that the layout of your open windows will be remembered when you are using multiple monitors (see docking station setups in the Office). I can't express how nice that will be... Right now, when you disconnect the dock / multiple monitor setup, everything gets messed up, then when you connect it again, everything is all resized and messed up. Office workers are going to appreciate this long needed improvement.

I'm actually quite excited to see them build in some pre defined window layout buttons which is extremely useful for multitasking on ultra wide displays. I was instantly a huge fan when they introduced the snapping and windows key + arrow snapping stuff which basically does this, but this just makes it easier to get the windows snapped where you want. I am aware that there have been 3rd party utilities that do similar things, but I really prefer to use built in functionality in Windows as much as possible.
Direct storage is another DX10. Overhype, too complicated to be fully benefited from and artificially limited to a certain Windows version. Most likely only a handful of games will support it for the coming couple of years. The amount of consumers with cutting edge hardware is too small to invest much in it.

keep spamming it in the feedback app. if enough do they might listen.

I kinda wonder how serious they even take that app. I remember having issues with several built-in apps (Mail and Calendar, Dolby Access, and Office) and the Feedback app was full of the same issues over and over. I don't think any of them ever got addressed and most of the "official" replies were actually related to something totally different. Usually in English that appeared to come straight from Google Translate. That's the case for several postings about the new Start Menu/Recommended section. Even the ones with thousands of thumbs ups and replies. Yet if you leave a scathing review for an App in the Microsoft Store, people will shockingly outreach you immediately. I wish I could "review" the new Start Menu...

I kinda wonder how serious they even take that app. I remember having issues with several built-in apps (Mail and Calendar, Dolby Access, and Office) and the Feedback app was full of the same issues over and over. I don't think any of them ever got addressed and most of the "official" replies were actually related to something totally different. Usually in English that appeared to come straight from Google Translate. That's the case for several postings about the new Start Menu/Recommended section. Even the ones with thousands of thumbs ups and replies. Yet if you leave a scathing review for an App in the Microsoft Store, people will shockingly outreach you immediately. I wish I could "review" the new Start Menu...
theyve already relaxed on requirements due to feedback, it worth tryin. but yes, there are lots of things that go unaddressed.

Not read through all this but from what I have seen from MS in the past I expect many U-turns in the coming months.

Doesn't hurt to test reactions etc. You never know on occasion you might get away with it.

Not read through all this but from what I have seen from MS in the past I expect many U-turns in the coming months.

Doesn't hurt to test reactions etc. You never know on occasion you might get away with it.
Windows 10 was supposed to be the last windows. Shows just how much you can trust Microsoft.

Windows 10 was supposed to be the last windows. Shows just how much you can trust Microsoft.
people keep saying that, i dont remember them saying it but i remember them sayin that the core of the os was the last. is there something official from ms that said that?

Upgraded my i7-7500U 13" XPS to the insider/dev track last week and have been using it on and off.

No real dislikes so far as its basically just Windows 10, or feels like it from the outside.

I like the animations, settings changes and window management a ton though.

You didn't think that corporations like MS could be trusted did you? :cautious:
Not for a millisecond. I inherently distrust all things Microsoft. Except my Precision Pro 1 joystick. That thing is indestructable.

Reactions: Don_1
like this
hat thing is literally just an advertisement banner taking up 40% of your start menu.
mines just my most recently accessed files, pics, gifs and movies mostly, no ads
edit: nice this was the only issue ive had, 2-3 times maybe

Taskbar:
  • We fixed the issue that was causing Explorer.exe to crash when the date and time button on the Taskbar is clicked to access new notifications with Focus Assist turned off.
edit2: i also like how they have the time estimate now(last update maybe?)

1626993499981.png

Last edited:
I just did that latest update and a few things I noticed on booting back up. I have a new icon in the taskbar, "Chat", that wasn't there before. It seems to just be Teams? I also got a notification that Teams (Preview) has been configured to start at boot with a little link to take me to those preferences so I could change that. How nice.

1627048437530.png

At my job we use Teams 95% of the day. Even my company's owners were talking about Windows 11 having deep Teams integration. That's actually one of the things I'm very interested in as a result. Yet if my company was using Hangouts and such, I'd be way less excited. Hopefully they'll provide options to hide/dismiss Teams if you don't want it.

It was a quick little toggle to turn it off at boot and it seems it can be uninstalled.

I should clarify, I don't really have a problem with this at all, it was just something I noticed that wasn't there before. I too use it at work quite heavily and while a little heavy on our older machines it works quite well.

I just did that latest update and a few things I noticed on booting back up. I have a new icon in the taskbar, "Chat", that wasn't there before. It seems to just be Teams? I also got a notification that Teams (Preview) has been configured to start at boot with a little link to take me to those preferences so I could change that. How nice.

View attachment 377718
i got that one with the last update, it was being distributed randomly according to ms. we use teams at work a lot, so ill have to see how it acts with the normal teams app. when i get back next month.

i got that one with the last update, it was being distributed randomly according to ms. we use teams at work a lot, so ill have to see how it acts with the normal teams app. when i get back next month.
It didn't work at all with my E3 licensed teams. It just said it would be available later. It worked fine with my personal MS account though.

Last edited:
Back