Win 11 pro's? con's? opinions?

You said Bitlocker "must be turned off". Is that rule somewhere? Why?
You misunderstood me. I'm saying on some computers it's on by default and it must be turned off if that's not something you want on the computer. I leave it on as I don't really see any difference in performance with it on or off.

You misunderstood me. I'm saying on some computers it's on by default and it must be turned off if that's not something you want on the computer. I leave it on as I don't really see any difference in performance with it on or off.
Ok, qualifying that with "if that's not something you want on the computer" makes much more sense.

I'm wondering if all of those OEM gray market Windows 7 activation codes will continue to work, or if MS will use this as an opportunity to bork those.
I bought a win 10 key for $12 and it passed the windows 11 test
Failed till I enabled TMP initially

This is called modding, maybe windows 11 can be tricked into working on processors that are not supported, but again, something will certainly be missing related to security, etc.
Or you may need to purchase TPM modules from a scalper.I searched a bit what the modules are, wherever i clicked the condition is unavailable, they were about $ 20, now they are about $ 100, for the usual little shit from a chip that you don't even see, it costs like my whole motherboard.
In my opinion it is better for older processors and hardware to leave windows 10 which is quite good, when you look realistically microsoft has long supported all possible processors and hardware with windows 10, and those older than 10 years.
After all, you can buy a modern processor and configuration that will not leave you on a begging stick and will run windows 11 if you really need a new operating system.
And after all, even older systems (like windows XP or 7) are still in operation in the industry.

Are you kidding? How old are you?

I haven't tested it yet, but if fTPM is turned off once Windows 11 is installed, will it still boot fine or will it pitch a fit? (I'm at work .. bored .. asking questions :) )

I'm concerned about rumors I've seen that the Taskbar is no longer as customizable :( I'm picky- I keep it on top, small icons, no apps/folders pinned, lots of notification tray icons, no combining icons, and unlocked so I can move it from display to display.

Can anyone who is using the preview comment on how much like the Win10 Taskbar it can be forced to be at this point?

I'm concerned about rumors I've seen that the Taskbar is no longer as customizable :( I'm picky- I keep it on top, small icons, no apps/folders pinned, lots of notification tray icons, no combining icons, and unlocked so I can move it from display to display.

Can anyone who is using the preview comment on how much like the Win10 Taskbar it can be forced to be at this point?
i think its fine....but there are a few things we cant change yet like icon size (on the task bar) also can it be forced to be what?

in the leak it is not .. and if you run 2 monitors, I haven't been able to get the taskbar to function properly on the secondary monitor yet .. can't pin anything to it

https://www.softpedia.com/get/PORTABLE-SOFTWARE/System/System-Info/WhyNotWin11.shtml
here is a detailed item of what you are missing,i am ready to receive win 11
win11.PNG

i think its fine....but there are a few things we cant change yet like icon size (on the task bar) also can it be forced to be what?
forced to be like Windows 10 Taskbar. Closer to "Windows 2000" than "iPad"

I'll try it in a VM sometime 🤷🏻‍♀️

forced to be like Windows 10 Taskbar. Closer to "Windows 2000" than "iPad"

I'll try it in a VM sometime 🤷🏻‍♀️
Not yet for sure....i figure startisback and others will make updates soon for the win11 and at least that usually allows lots of task bar tweaks (they did with 10 anyway). Im really digging it and haven't found any stability issues so far. its WAY better than 10 or 8 was in the beginning at least IMO

dont tell anyone but thats because its still 10, just with a face lift and tweaks. ;)
Well, what can anyone expect? There is no way that MS could redo large parts of the code base and not spend years, years in debug, test, and endless public beta.

IMHO, the fact that the underlying code is mostly Win 10 is a good, very good thing.

dont tell anyone but thats because its still 10, just with a face lift and tweaks. ;)
of course your right....the hole thing is typical of a normal update...NOTHING had to be reinstalled on mine or didnt work so far (except for startisback)

Well, what can anyone expect? There is no way that MS could redo large parts of the code base and not spend years, years in debug, test, and endless public beta.

IMHO, the fact that the underlying code is mostly Win 10 is a good, very good thing.
thats what i understood to be the case, the core 10 os was the last and they would just keep refining it, 11 is a visual refinement with some new security stuff(tpm).

thats what i understood to be the case, the core 10 os was the last and they would just keep refining it, 11 is a visual refinement with some new security stuff(tpm).
I think the real question here is what new features do they need to add and which existing features need major modifications? At this point, the codebase has to be pretty mature. And if they continue with Windows on ARM processors they can't be mucking around too much with the core,.

Reminds me of Win NT, with its Hardware Abstraction Layer.

I also have to wonder if Windows will get ported to additional processor families. Of course, not Itanium or DEC Alpha, LOL.

only home version, just like now with 10.
You can make a local account on Windows 10 Home, you just don't connect to the internet when you set up the computer, say the computer doesn't have internet access, and then it will let you make a local account.

You can make a local account on Windows 10 Home, you just don't connect to the internet when you set up the computer, say the computer doesn't have internet access, and then it will let you make a local account.
i thought that was removed like in 10 home. isnt that one of the things everyone of screaming about?!
edit: also as per the "requirements" people seem to insist are final...
"Windows 11 Home edition requires an Internet connection and a Microsoft Account to complete device setup on first use."
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/whats-new/windows-11-requirements

Last edited:
i thought that was removed like in 10 home. isnt that one of the things everyone of creaming about?!
edit: also as per the "requirements" people seem to insist are final...
"Windows 11 Home edition requires an Internet connection and a Microsoft Account to complete device setup on first use."
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/whats-new/windows-11-requirements
I've installed Windows 10 Home a million times and I've never lost the ability to create a local account, including fresh installs of the newest May 21H1 update. I've heard Windows 11 Home is going to force accounts though, but we'll see.

Windows 11 will be the best gaming operating system,those who have the latest cpu and gpu and the fastest nvme disks will benefit the most,next year zen 4 will come,amd 3D processors maybe this year, it was logical to expect that microsoft will make a new gaming operating system.

So has anyone installed the windows 11 dev? I am about to do my yearly wipe and thinking about giving it ago

The official Windows 11 beta release for the Windows Insider Program is next week. I just signed up and I'm looking forward to trying it out. You can sign up for it for free by going to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Insider Program (on the bottom).

I might give it a try, too. As long as I keep an image back-up of my current setup, I'm only 90 minutes away from going back in the event of issues. I ran betas of XP and Win7 as my main OS for years, but since I'm working from home I have to be at least a little more careful with my setup.

I've installed Windows 10 Home a million times and I've never lost the ability to create a local account, including fresh installs of the newest May 21H1 update. I've heard Windows 11 Home is going to force accounts though, but we'll see.
What version? They removed it in a recent version (I think it was version 2004). There was still a way around it by just not having internet connected (either by wifi or from ethernet), but the option was officially removed. It is probably the same on Windows 11 where it wont let you if you are connected to the internet. The option will disappear.

Well, my XPS 13 with an i7-7500U says its not supported, just missed the cutoff. It has TPM 2.0 support but the CPU is one generation too old. Not worried, we'll see what happens closer to release.
Same model here. XPS 13 9360 with the i7-7500u. It doesn't support it, with TPM 2.0 enabled.

The hardware requirement is just a soft floor. As long as your computer supports TPM, you're fine. At worst it wont be officially supported, which who gives a shit about that? Whens the last time you called Microsoft for support? lol.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compatibility/windows-11/
This is not true. It does seem the beta release of Win 11 will not work with Gen 7 or older processors. At least per their checker. My XPS has everything that needs to be on for it to work, but it doesn't and per other articles out there they are saying gen 7 processor is the reason.

so i just found that transplanting drives works to bypass the tpm/sb req. i took the i5-6500 ssd and plopped it into a optiplex 390 (i5-2400/8GB/128GB) and it booted right up, no tpm, no secureboot, the same system that the installer refused on fri.

It's entirely possible that Microsoft just wants to get Win 11 right on late-model CPUs. Then it will "roll back" to earlier generations. Just my guess. of course, since no one has said that Win 11 depends on CPU instructions that exist only the most recent models.
I'm not worried, we'll see what happens closer to release.

It's entirely possible that Microsoft just wants to get Win 11 right on late-model CPUs. Then it will "roll back" to earlier generations. Just my guess. of course, since no one has said that Win 11 depends on CPU instructions that exist only the most recent models.
Might have to do with encryption hashes & algorithms. Newer processers support the newer standards.

What version? They removed it in a recent version (I think it was version 2004). There was still a way around it by just not having internet connected (either by wifi or from ethernet), but the option was officially removed. It is probably the same on Windows 11 where it wont let you if you are connected to the internet. The option will disappear.
I literally said what version in my post that you quoted. The newest version from May (21H1). It's never been removed. When you set up your computer for the first time, do not connect to any network when it asks, and then you can select that you don't have access to the internet and it will let you make a local account. If you don't want to start all over, you can go to Settings > Accounts > Sign in with a local account instead ... which will allow you to log out and make a local account. They haven't removed anything, they've just obfuscated the settings, but they're still there. The "workaround" still works. I know because I've reinstalled Windows 10 Home 21H1 at least 30 times on various computers lately. So no, it's not been officially removed.

Back