Win 10, UAC and password/PIN options

entropism

2[H]4U
So I'm trying to set up my UAC prompts to ask for a PIN by default instead of a password. Anything I google tells me how to make the PIN the default log-in option when Windows starts, but nothing to change it for UAC. I know that up until a few months (A year?) ago this was possible, but since then it has password entry as default, with PIN as the third option.

Anyone know how to change this up?

Thanks!

I have both active, but I run a standard account as my main, and an admin account for when it needs to be used, such as mass installs/changes. Practicing safe computing and all that.

You should be able to run a standard account with UAC elevating privileges when needed in situations such as installing software?

As for the whole PIN as a password, it's probably just something else Microsoft blocked in their latest update for no rationally explainable reason.

Bullet, that's how I usually run. But if I'm doing a ton of stuff that needs UAC privledges often, I usually swap over to the admin account to take care of it, just for convenience. Mainly command line android stuff, really.

And yeah, really annoys me because the PIN can be standard as a log-in, but using it for UAC requires 3 extra clicks now. Meh.

May I ask specifically what kind of command line Android stuff?

Only reason being, when it comes to Android and command line I find Linux and the terminal to work far better and you don't have to run as Administrator.

Just a suggestion, if you're used to Windows that's completely understandable.

Bullet, I find that when I use ADB, I have more luck running "Minimal ADB & Fastboot", and I try to always do so with admin priv, just to smooth things out and make sure nothing goes wrong. If I'm opening up a ton of terminals, I'll just swap to the admin account to make it easier. I have a sentence-long password for my windows accounts, so I won't be typing THAT over and over again, and clicking a bunch to get to the PIN (which is also long) is annoying.

As for Linux, I have tried, countless times, to switch to Linux (Ubuntu with both Gnome and KDE). I want to switch, I have nothing holding me to Windows outside of World of Warcraft, which I could obviously run on WINE. I find that driver support for extra mouse buttons and keyboards are nonexistant, and custom mapping it was excrutiating. Eventually something would break out of nowhere, I'd just be frustrated and head back to Windows.

Add to it that, really, I don't know the Linux file structure, and I can't be bothered to learn at this point in time.

Back