Win 10 strange memory usage reporting

funkydmunky

2[H]4U
I'm trying to figure out how to prevent my Win 10 (64-bit) server from having its cpu fan constantly spin up and down, so I have been checking Task Manager to see if there was any ramping CPU usage that could explain the behavior, but there isn't. Now I noticed the Memory tab is showing about 70%.
I thought this odd as I have 6GB in the system so I continued to investigate what the hell was eating all the RAM.
The highest user was Desktop Windows Manager. But it was using a paltry 125MB, followed by System and Compressed Memory at 110MB. After those it drops to 24MB for the next program and quickly falls from there. In total doing quick math I don't think they all ad up to even 1GB.
Strange. I right click on the Memory tab, select Resource values, Memory, and change from Values to Percents. It is showing the highest user, Desktop Windows Manager (125MB) as 20%!
What the hell? Based on that I have under 1GB of RAM. I went straight to system properties and it says I have 6GB of RAM. I ran the Windows Memory Diagnostic. No issues detected. I then use Speccy and confirm that my system has 6GB of RAM.
I reboot and my Memory usage drops to about %20. Okay that is good I think so I check the numbers. At the top of the list is Desktop Windows Manager. Currently using 130MB. Change Values to Percent and it shows 5.5%.
So even that is wacked. That would mean I have approximately 2.5GB RAM.
What is going on here?

The percent value is probably percent of total memory used by programs, not percent of total memory. I wouldn't be worried about memory usage unless your system starts cache thrashing. Remember, unused RAM is wasted RAM.

If you're really curious about actual memory usage, check either Resource Monitor in Windows or RAMMap from Microsoft's sysinternals suite.

Ah that would make sense given the numbers. You think that would be something the user could choose what way to display.
Resource manager is showing all 6GB distributed properly.
Thanks for your help.

Back