Win 10 recognizes my dGPU, but doesn't actually use it. On day 3 of troubleshooting

Hi all,

I posted this on the AMD forums, but there's been no reply in 3 days.

I was a member here 15 years ago, and am hoping a new g can help out an old g :)

Note: since these screenshots were taken, there was an AMD graphics driver update that I did install, however, it did not make a difference, my system is still not using the discrete card, just the onboard/integrated graphics that comes with every PC, but isn't supposed to be the main GPU for those of us who've paid extra for a dedicated GPU.

Any help is much appreciated, here's my mess :

------------

Hey all,

I just got a new HP Pavilion 27" r055 all-in-one, for the life of me I cannot figure out why my AMD 530 looks as if it's not being used.

I'm using a SSD that I wiped and started fresh using the media creation tool for Win 10.

I downloaded all the updates via windows update, and then all of the driver specific updates via the HP support utility.

Device mgr etc shows the AMD card is installed and should be working properly.

The rest of my post is best expressed with screenshots I took from GPU-Z, CPU-Z, etc.

Please see attached.

My observations, which may or may not help you with spotting what's up:

It seems as if all of these sensor readings and whatnot definitely show it's installed, but there's no signs of usage. The GPU switches back and forth from 100% to 0% every other second, but it maxes out the memory usage at 1MB (compared to the intel graphics showing 500MB+)

Also, it looks like AMD CrossFire/Multi-GPU is disabled - it can't be as easy as enabling that, right? (If it is, please let me know how

I also used the Radeon Switchable Graphics Monitor, and the only thing that shows up there is the Windows App Store (wtf?)

Thanks in advance for taking a look!

UGPmeMc.jpg

ygXMeuG.jpg

YZ1CLo8.jpg

T07GDyM.jpg

Run Furmark or something and see if it auto switches to the Discrete GPU

My old HP laptop with Integrated and Discrete Radeon graphics would auto switch depending on GPU load.

Just spent two hours with HP chat support. He deleted/updated the AMD like six times. It ended with him asking me to reseat the GPU.

I am not cracking open a F'in all-in-one over something like this.

Regarding the bios, on this new HP, I only have access to the F10 menu, which I had to use to startup my system to recognize the fresh Win 10 install that was on my USB/

But there are no options in the HP F10 start up menu to do anything at all with graphics.

HP Chat support, btw, did everything I already did. Remove the device under display adapter. Restart. Look for Win 10 / HP updates/ look for AMD updates / etc.

Then suggested I need bust this allinone open and re seat the GPU.

No thanks, havcen't done that in a decade. Hope someone here can jump in with a reasonable solution after viewing those screen shots.

Could it be AMD CrossFire/Mul;tiGPU?

AMD crossfire says disabled because you don't have a second AMD GPU.

HOWEVER, I don't think anything is wrong with your system. I believe that you have auto switching GPU's in that, the AMD is only activated when your system needs it. Run a GPU stress test and you'll probably see that your AMD GPU will be on and won't switch to the intel GPU.

For reference, Macbooks use this type of system. My macbook has an AMD 560 and an intel iris. I see it switch all the time but it switches depending on the application, I'm using.

I'd only be concerned if you were playing a game or doing something graphic intensive and it switches constantly, then I would think there might be a problem.

My prior screen shots were already of me stressimg the GPU.

I opened a 1GB+ media file, plus I chose to open it in MS x to really stess it via the edit function.

After 100 restarts and giving HP complete control of my system, their techs gave up and told me to send mu system back.

So, there could be more than this, I haven't yet changed BIOS settings because I only know how to access bios which will change where things look to find the bootable OS, which was the USB when I did a fresjh install, other than that, I don't know.

My prior screen shots were already of me stressimg the GPU.

I opened a 1GB+ media file, plus I chose to open it in MS x to really stess it via the edit function.

After 100 restarts and giving HP complete control of my system, their techs gave up and told me to send mu system back.

So, there could be more than this, I haven't yet changed BIOS settings because I only know how to access bios which will change where things look to find the bootable OS, which was the USB when I did a fresjh install, other than that, I don't know.

Opening a media file doesn’t stress the GPU. You were given good advice in this thread and chose to ignore it. Your system is working fine and using the lower power GPU until something actually intensive happens. HP isn’t helping because you made up a problem in your head and then called to complain about it.

What did I ignore?

I literally cannot find a way to put any stress at all on my GPU, whether I open 4K media files for editing or not.

I gave full control over to HP support and let them change and DL whatever they want, and they still counldnt fix the issue.

Their last suggestion was to reseat the GPU, or send the unit back.

Given that I have exhausted self=help support etc, and you are now, without reason, assuming I somehow missed the fix, I would like to remind you 20 years ago, I used to hand code drivers in notepad.

If you find a critical step I just brainlessly missed, I will give you this machine. But if you can't offer actual advice which brings me closer to a resolution, please do something to refrain yourself from such embarrassment.

You coding drivers 20 years ago has nothing to do with this...
Run furmark or something that stresses the 3d part of the gpu/ system. See if your gpu kicks in properly.
That is what people are saying you're not getting.

you can also see if setting your computer to "High Performance" mode will force the GPU to kick in as it will cut back on power saving mechanisms, you can also check to see if in the radeon settings there is an option for "power" or "performance" and set that. Then there is always the old trick of disabling the intel GPU in your device manager, reboot, and see what happens.

also take a note in HWmonitor, notice how there are two temps reported under Intel GPU, one of those temps looks suspiciously similar to the temp of the AMD GPU, which means your discrete GPU most likely only ever acts as a backup to the intel, and not as the "Primary" if you wanted a dedicated GPU you should have bought one, otherwise everything is working as it should lest you post a screenshot of furmark or a VIDEO GAME, that shows no AMD usage. You must understand that you have gotten some sort of misconception from either the person who sold you this machine, or from your own ignorance of the subject which is fine, but a "discrete" GPU is not a "Dedicated" GPU.

If I DL fumark and it shows my dGPU only kicks in after onboard graphics max out, I will literally fall over in disbelief.

But, I will stress the GPUs just to prove all yall wrong.

DL.ing FUmark now.

If I DL fumark and it shows my dGPU only kicks in after onboard graphics max out, I will literally fall over in disbelief.

DL.ing FUmark now.

He must have fallen over and into a coma since he didn’t post another update :p

In the AMD Control Panel, there should be a way to change what apps specifically will use dedicated graphics. For instance if you have dGPU for nVidia and Intel onboard, you can make the changes in nVidia control panel.

Usually just browsing around Windows, in web browsers, etc... dGPU will be disabled for power saving purposes.

In the AMD Control Panel, there should be a way to change what apps specifically will use dedicated graphics. For instance if you have dGPU for nVidia and Intel onboard, you can make the changes in nVidia control panel.

Usually just browsing around Windows, in web browsers, etc... dGPU will be disabled for power saving purposes.

My Dell Latitude E6540 has "Switchable Graphics"... screen looks like this:

c03750715[1].jpg

I have this same problem on my surfacebook. The dgpu actually disappears from device manager if I try to run anything on it, so I have a fairly worthless $500 option on this thing. Let me know if you figure it out as it may be something win10 related.

My system actually has a context menu that pops up when you right click a program that says 'run with graphics processor' -> 'high performance video adapter' It's nvida, but I'd imagine ati has something similar. Unfortunately, when I do that the screen flashes and the dgpu disappears from device manager and it just runs on the shitty intel igp. I have to run a 'scan for new hardware' in device manager to get it to show back up. Or show hidden devices and it shows up as being disconnected.

DL.ing FUmark now.
I'd like reiterate that onboard graphics can handle video files with no problems. 4K, 1080p, 720p; onboard can play them all. I use the onboard graphics in my HTPC, but to play 1080p files. A 3D application like Furmark should actually cause the discrete card to kick in, if that's what's happening here. It's also possible the tech you talked to didn't realize this, some are more knowledgeable than others. Either way, I'm also curious to see if that's what's happening here. Also, reseating your discrete GPU is a good troubleshooting step, as much as you hate opening your case apparently. Just do it, if it's necessary.

Not sure reseating the GPU is an option. Judging from pictures this AIO is built with laptop parts (basically). So the dGPU may be built into the motherboard.

But download something like one of the Unigine 3D benchmarks, a 3D game demo or even Furmark and see what happens when you put a proper 3D load on your computer. Like it has been said above already, modern iGPUs are more than happy to play movies even at 4K resolution. And even games if they're not pushing 3D graphics. Also check if your computer have the "run on iGPU/dGPU" toggles in the driver or sometimes you can see it in the right-click menu in Windows too. Been ages since I looked at an Intel + AMD setup like that, so I'm not sure how their latest implementation is.

DL.ing FUmark now.

Guess he proved you guys wrong... by never posting again.

I mean, at least come back and say thank you!

Honestly, the integrated graphics are probably just as powerful. Radeon 530 is based on dated 2014 GCN and uses 64 bit memory bandwidth. At best its 20% faster then integrated intel 630? I never understood why vendors offer a discrete option for a premium that doesnt even pull its own weight.

New account, guy lists himself as a banker in Detroit. This guy is trolling. I’d ignore thread everyone.

Back