win 10 really is free NO catches

In posts 231, 233 and 235 I asked if the upgrade license can be transferred more than once.
I asked for it to again be clarified in post 239.
I havent received any proof that this is possible.

I made my question clear.

This blog doesn't specially mention multiple moves but only retail copies can technically be moved even once.

Transferred to another Mobo. For example, if you decide to upgrade from Z97 to Z170 when Skylake comes out.

With Windows 10 "upgrade path" route (not retail install), there is no activation key as far as I'm concerned. Once you activate it, it will record your specific mobos info...and thats it. You are tied to THAT SPECIFIC mobo forever. If you buy another mobo of the same brand/model, it won't work. At least this is the word on the street right now....That's why I asked who will be doing any testing tomorrow to debunk this or prove its truth.

OK, so does anyone here know about Josh Cells Software? This guy from Brazil (?) has a utility http://joshcellsoftwares.com/products/advancedtokensmanager/ that captures Windows and also MS Office activation strings that are stored somewhere in the registry. With Win 7, idea was that you could do a fresh install of Windows and Office, reload those keys into the proper locations, and MS would see that system as already activated. OK, that was for Windows 7.

Does anyone with Windows 10 want to try out this utility and report back to us? Try to do an OEM license install on a second system and see how Windows reacts?

Then you cant answer definitively.

When I upgrade a preinstalled (OEM) version of Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 license to Windows 10, does that license remain OEM or become a retail license?

If you upgrade from a OEM version of Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 to the free Windows 10 upgrade this summer, the license is consumed into it. Because the free upgrade is derived from an OEM base qualifying license, Windows 10 will carry this type of licensing too.

If you upgrade from a retail version, it carries the rights of a retail version.

Full version (Retail):

- Includes transfer rights to another computer.

- Doesn't require a previous qualifying version of Windows.

- Expensive

Upgrade version (Retail):

- Includes transfer rights to another computer.

- require a previous qualifying version of Windows.

- Expensive, but cheaper than full version

OEM :

OEM versions of Windows are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

What happens if I change my motherboard?

This will invalidate the Windows 10 upgrade license because it will no longer have a previous based qualifying license which is required for the free upgrade. You will then have to purchase a full retail Windows 10 license.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...0/a6a1cc4b-720d-41cc-87c2-7eb7dd5166fc?auth=1

An upgrade from a retail copy is a retail copy and has the transfer rights as the original retail copy. There's not Windows licensing level that only allows one transfer that I know of. Either it can be freely moved as in retail to one machine at a time or not at all as in OEM.

It doesnt say that.
It gives gobbledygook to make you think its possible but no definitive answer on whether more than one transfer is possible.
Provide definitive proof of your statement.

In posts 231, 233 and 235 I asked if the upgrade license can be transferred more than once.
I asked for it to again be clarified in post 239.
I havent received any proof that this is possible.

I made my question clear.

The only answer we have now is, if you START with the RETAIL version, then it can be transferred any time.

Unfortunately if you START OFF with OEM, there is no answer at the moment. That's why earlier I asked if anybody will be doing any "testing" in the next day or so.

Does that answer your concern?

It doesnt say that.
It gives gobbledygook to make you think its possible but no definitive answer on whether more than one transfer is possible.
Provide definitive proof of your statement.

You need proof more so because a retail version has NEVER been limited to just one transfer.

The only answer we have now is, if you START with the RETAIL version, then it can be transferred any time.

Unfortunately if you START OFF with OEM, there is no answer at the moment. That's why earlier I asked if anybody will be doing any "testing" in the next day or so.

Does that answer your concern?

I am concerned that Retail Windows 7 licenses transferred to Windows 10 are tied to the hardware they are installed on, as defined by MS own statements.
Then no further transfers are allowed.
Where is the proof they can be transferred any time?

I am concerned that Retail Windows 7 licenses transferred to Windows 10 are tied to the hardware they are installed on, as defined by MS own statements.
Then no further transfers are allowed.

Q. If I purchased my copy of Windows 7 or 8/8.1 as a retail license from either a brick-and-mortar store or an online store, then I upgrade to Windows 10, can I transfer that upgrade to a new computer under the retail licensing?

A. YES

This isn't MS own statement?

Q. If I purchased my copy of Windows 7 or 8/8.1 as a retail license from either a brick-and-mortar store or an online store, then I upgrade to Windows 10, can I transfer that upgrade to a new computer under the retail licensing?

A. YES

This isn't MS own statement?

Already covered many times.

Should means nothing.
I asked for proof.

LOL, now I can see you're just simply trolling.

Get over yourself. MS said it right there in the article. Do you need Satya Nadella to officially come here and say it himself?

I'm trying to get clarity because it looks deceptive.
None of you have provided any proof.

I'm trying to get clarity because it looks deceptive.
None of you have provided any proof.

If you upgrade from a retail version, it carries the rights of a retail version.

If you upgrade from a OEM version, it carries the rights of a OEM version.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...r-device/c68a6234-238a-43aa-bbb2-4fa0a7e11305

Proof has been provided that an upgrade from a retail copy is still a retail copy and has the same transfer rights as the original retail copy.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...r-device/c68a6234-238a-43aa-bbb2-4fa0a7e11305

Proof has been provided that an upgrade from a retail copy is still a retail copy and has the same transfer rights as the original retail copy.

From the article you quoted...
"Once you’ve upgraded to Windows 10 using the free upgrade offer, you will be able to reinstall, including a clean install, on the same device.

This has nothing to do with transferring to another device.
If you couldnt re-install on the same device, MS would be sunk.
You have no proof.

Your question has been answered in good faith from two different sources that went into detail about this. Upgrades from OEM versions have same OEM rights and upgrades from retail versions have the same retail rights. Now it's time to upgrade one of those OEM versions, it just gave me the notification it's ready.

Straight from the Win10 EULA:

http://originw2.cms.ms.akadns.net/e...ows/10/UseTerms_Retail_Windows_10_English.htm

b. Stand-alone software. If you acquired the software as stand-alone software (and also if you upgraded from software you acquired as stand-alone software), you may transfer the software to another device that belongs to you. You may also transfer the software to a device owned by someone else if (i) you are the first licensed user of the software and (ii) the new user agrees to the terms of this agreement. You may use the backup copy we allow you to make or the media that the software came on to transfer the software. Every time you transfer the software to a new device, you must remove the software from the prior device. You may not transfer the software to share licenses between devices.

Emphasis added by me.

Seems pretty clear that transfer rights are the same as they have always been. But, then again, I'm not hung up on semantics and theory-mongering. "Every time" = multiple times to all but the most dense of college freshmen majoring in "BS argumentation".

Last edited:
what's the R&D cost of windows 10? as such, how does mircosoft recovers their 10.4 billion just in 2014 if win 10 is free

what's the R&D cost of windows 10? as such, how does mircosoft recovers their 10.4 billion just in 2014 if win 10 is free

It's not free for everyone. Microsoft has been shifting slowly away from direct licensing costs at the consumer level especially at the low end for a while now with Windows 8 which has been free on lots of cheaper and smaller devices since then. Upgrade income hasn't been a big money maker for Microsoft for some time now. And of course the idea is to pick up additional revenue for the store and services by broadening the base with the free upgrades.

This has been answered so many times. MS makes almost all their money off of enterprise and OEM sales, nothing changes if MS lets people upgrade their old OEM computers for free. Plus it puts millions of new computers online with the windows store which they might make money off of.

This is what i don't understand about this whole thing. I have a VLK MAK key and Windows stated that volume license will not be eligible for the upgrade, but i've installed the RTM build (10240) over top of it and was able to activate the authenticate my key.It's been running strong and accepting updates since the 23rd. What is going on with that? Is the key just going to get killed off and i have to buy a new one or will I still get to use the damn thing/still use it and have 3 activations like before.

Anyone else in a similar boat?

It's not free for everyone. Microsoft has been shifting slowly away from direct licensing costs at the consumer level especially at the low end for a while now with Windows 8 which has been free on lots of cheaper and smaller devices since then. Upgrade income hasn't been a big money maker for Microsoft for some time now. And of course the idea is to pick up additional revenue for the store and services by broadening the base with the free upgrades.

Yep the future of windows is flashing ads and spam. It already started with solitarie that constantly pops up ads to purchase the monthly fee 'full' version :)

This is what i don't understand about this whole thing. I have a VLK MAK key and Windows stated that volume license will not be eligible for the upgrade, but i've installed the RTM build (10240) over top of it and was able to activate the authenticate my key.It's been running strong and accepting updates since the 23rd. What is going on with that? Is the key just going to get killed off and i have to buy a new one or will I still get to use the damn thing/still use it and have 3 activations like before.

Anyone else in a similar boat?

I have been abroad on a beach vacation for a month now so I still have a non-updated older versions on my computers. I'm pretty sure they'll just stop working at some point if not already.

Yep the future of windows is flashing ads and spam. It already started with solitarie that constantly pops up ads to purchase the monthly fee 'full' version :)

LOL! Sometimes you work too hard to make stuff up. ;)

LOL! Sometimes you work too hard to make stuff up. ;)

Sometimes your MS shaded glasses makes you blind I guess: http://www.businessinsider.com/solitaire-windows-10-pay-to-remove-ads-2015-7

microsoft%20solitaire%20collection%207_27_2015%2012_24_07%20pm.png

Click upgrade to premium and you see this, like that's never the case in a Win32 app. I've played solitaire and mahjong a bit and never saw any ads though I'm not saying they're not there. Don't like it, don't play it and uninstall it.

Click upgrade to premium and you see this, like that's never the case in a Win32 app. I've played solitaire and mahjong a bit and never saw any ads though I'm not saying they're not there. Don't like it, don't play it and uninstall it.

businessinsider.com said:
For your $1.49 a month, you get a score boost in TriPeaks and Pyramid, and the chance to win a bunch of extra "coins," the in-game currency you win by completing challenges. You don't need it to play Solitaire, and the game itself plays more or less as it has since Windows 3.1 in the early nineties. But if you don't want to pay, get used to those ads.

You saying they're pulling this out of their asses?

You saying they're pulling this out of their asses?

It is like any other game from an app store, want it free? Get used to ads, want to play without being bothered? Pay for it. The game was removed from Win8 (and moved to th app store), in Win10 it will just be a preinstalled app/game, nothing more. Good God, some people will never give up. :rolleyes:

That's NOT an upgrade ... that's a monthly fee!

Many app developers are finding out that without some sort of fee, their revenue dies off quickly. Just ask Rovio. Angry Birds was a huge success... until everyone had the game. Then where was their money to come from? Tried to compensate with powerups... I'm guessing they don't sell well. I think IAPs don't sell well in general unless it's in PvP games.

It is like any other game from an app store, want it free? Get used to ads, want to play without being bothered? Pay for it. The game was removed from Win8 (and moved to th app store), in Win10 it will just be a preinstalled app/game, nothing more. Good God, some people will never give up. :rolleyes:

And Microsoft is being a "follower" again. As long as I've owned an iPhone model, the Solitaire game has been ad-spammed. Plus darn near all other free iOS apps.

And Microsoft is being a "follower" again. As long as I've owned an iPhone model, the Solitaire game has been ad-spammed. Plus darn near all other free iOS apps.

So?

It's a wee bit different thing to get ads to your phone and your desktop. Especially with the track record of Windows getting infected through ads lol.

can someone clarify this for me...if i have a windows 7 key can i use it to install the win10 equivalent? and does that key become invalid for windows 7 and only can be used for windows 10? is that how this is free? if you use a windows 7/8 existing you already have?

Windows 10 upgrade doesnt have a key.
It handles the licensing automatically by noting details of your specific hardware.
When it sees you have a genuine activated version of Windows you are upgrading from, that is good enough.
There is no information yet to say whether the old OS key gets deactivated.
Once the upgrade is done, the official line is that you from then on only use Windows 10 unless you decide to remove the upgrade.

A purchased version of Windows 10 lets you enter a key the first installation to demonstrate it was a genuine purchase, but from then on it also automatically handles the licensing.

can someone clarify this for me...if i have a windows 7 key can i use it to install the win10 equivalent? and does that key become invalid for windows 7 and only can be used for windows 10? is that how this is free? if you use a windows 7/8 existing you already have?

1) If you have Windows 7 installed and activated already, just do the Windows 10 upgrade (no Product Key required for the installation).

2) Once the upgrade installation is complete, Windows 10 generates a hardware hash aka a "fingerprint" for your machine that Windows 10 is installed on and stores that fingerprint on Microsoft's servers. From that point on you can clean install Windows 10 on that same machine anytime or as often as you want and you never have to worry about or bother with a Product Key ever again (skip the key entry both times during the clean install, get online, bam it'll be activated right then and there).

Back