Win 10 Pro How to disable Log in password or PIN on boot up?

Despotes

Gawd
I tried the netplwiz option, but when I click apply it asks for a password. I don't have a password. I use a PIN.
I installed a registry hack but that didn't work
Win 10 Pro Version 1909.

Disable the pin, create a password and then try again...

I tried the netplwiz option, but when I click apply it asks for a password. I don't have a password. I use a PIN.
I installed a registry hack but that didn't work
Win 10 Pro Version 1909.
Sounds like that same problem in this tread. Have you tried creating a new account to see if that exhibits the same issue to maybe point to your old account being corrupted? Hope this helps.

Disable the pin, create a password and then try again...
The thread title would seem to indicate that the OP is having difficulty disabling the PIN so telling him to do so and then to create a new one is probably as helpful as my suggestion posted above. :joyful:

Sounds like that same problem in this tread. Have you tried creating a new account to see if that exhibits the same issue to maybe point to your old account being corrupted? Hope this helps.
Problem in that thread was no password was instituted. Just a PIN was setup and somehow it began to demand a password. Despite some asshole suggesting the password was forgotten.
A decent suggestion that was offered later, by someone who wanted to help instead of ridicule, and that was...

https://kali4hackers.blogspot.com/2013/07/how-to-reset-windows-password-with-kali.html
"If your still needing to change a password in windows.... you can just use a Linux live disc.

The program you really need is a terminal program called. chntpw

Easiest thing to do is just make a live Kali Boot. (always a good thing to keep around on an old USB stick anyway)

The blog post I linked explains how to do change your sam saved password from forensic mode. You can also do it from a GUI boot... just mount your windows drive, and fire up a terminal so you can run chntpw Windows passwords are rarely a problem to reset... if the drive is encrypted may be more trouble then its worth but if you where not using drive encryption, takes to seconds to wipe."

Thanks to ChadD for the suggestion.
Whether it helps in the OP's situation or not, I dunno. But being my thread was raised I'm offering what I did.

My circumstance was an instability and was remedied by the removal of a piece of hardware and a clean install.

Reactions: ChadD
like this
Problem in that thread was no password was instituted. Just a PIN was setup and somehow it began to demand a password. Despite some asshole suggesting the password was forgotten.
A decent suggestion that was offered later, by someone who wanted to help instead of ridicule, and that was...

https://kali4hackers.blogspot.com/2013/07/how-to-reset-windows-password-with-kali.html
"If your still needing to change a password in windows.... you can just use a Linux live disc.

The program you really need is a terminal program called. chntpw

Easiest thing to do is just make a live Kali Boot. (always a good thing to keep around on an old USB stick anyway)

The blog post I linked explains how to do change your sam saved password from forensic mode. You can also do it from a GUI boot... just mount your windows drive, and fire up a terminal so you can run chntpw Windows passwords are rarely a problem to reset... if the drive is encrypted may be more trouble then its worth but if you where not using drive encryption, takes to seconds to wipe."

Thanks to ChadD for the suggestion.
Whether it helps in the OP's situation or not, I dunno. But being my thread was raised I'm offering what I did.

My circumstance was an instability and was remedied by the removal of a piece of hardware and a clean install.
I'm glad you got your issue resolved.

In the OP's case he too was asked for a password when he is using a PIN. I hope your post helps him. I don't recall if you were running 1909 like the OP in this thread.

I'm glad you got your issue resolved.

In the OP's case he too was asked for a password when he is using a PIN. I hope your post helps him. I don't recall if you were running 1909 like the OP in this thread.
At the time of my issue, yes

As DOJ says... imo best option is to use Linux to go and reset the password in the SAM file. Windows keeps all its passwords in a SAM file. As long as the drive isn't encrypted its pretty easy to change from a Linux live disc. The best option if you don't already have a linux live disc around is to just grab a Kali iso. Kali has lots of useful tools pre installed... one being chntpw a simple terminal program that will open the SAM file list its contents and allow you to blank passwords.

As DOJ says... imo best option is to use Linux to go and reset the password in the SAM file. Windows keeps all its passwords in a SAM file. As long as the drive isn't encrypted its pretty easy to change from a Linux live disc. The best option if you don't already have a linux live disc around is to just grab a Kali iso. Kali has lots of useful tools pre installed... one being chntpw a simple terminal program that will open the SAM file list its contents and allow you to blank passwords.

Not if the account is associated with a Microsoft account, and chances are if the Windows Hello PIN is giving grief than the password is associated with a Microsoft account.

The whole MS account saga is the biggest PITA. Not too sure just what's the point of the Windows Hello PIN. All I know is that if you're using the PIN and you update your bios, you have to log in using the Microsoft account password you probably forgot or didn't even realize you made (yes, it happens all the time considering people that are less than tech savvy) as the PIN gets reset.

Really, PIN or password, why both?

you need to make an offline account if you want to remove the password or pin for login

you need to make an offline account if you want to remove the password or pin for login

Which you can't do if you can't log into the account in the first place...

One way or another you need the Microsoft Account password, you can no longer reset it locally. Damn shame if your Microsoft account gets hacked.

Not if the account is associated with a Microsoft account, and chances are if the Windows Hello PIN is giving grief than the password is associated with a Microsoft account.

The whole MS account saga is the biggest PITA. Not too sure just what's the point of the Windows Hello PIN. All I know is that if you're using the PIN and you update your bios, you have to log in using the Microsoft account password you probably forgot or didn't even realize you made (yes, it happens all the time considering people that are less than tech savvy) as the PIN gets reset.

I updated the BIOS on a machine the other day and my pin still worked

I updated the BIOS on a machine the other day and my pin still worked

Perhaps a difference between MBR, GPT and it's association with UEFI? I've done a number of student laptops now, and every time I need the password to the Microsoft account as the PIN has been reset and can no longer be used after a UEFI update.

Last edited:

I refuse to use any MS product that requires me to create an account. If I can't just install it and use it, they can keep it.

I refuse to use any MS product that requires me to create an account. If I can't just install it and use it, they can keep it.

So dont? If don't connect to the internet when you install and create a local account.

So dont? If don't connect to the internet when you install and create a local account.

When you connect to the internet for the first time after install Microsoft still sneakily try to convince the end user to set up a Microsoft account, thing is they don't specifically state it's a Microsoft account - Which is how end users end up so confused when they can't log in next boot as their password has changed.

Yes, the more technically inclined of us will just close the window, but Windows as an OS wasn't made for the more technically inclined and that's what MS are banking on.

When you connect to the internet for the first time after install Microsoft still sneakily try to convince the end user to set up a Microsoft account, thing is they don't specifically state it's a Microsoft account - Which is how end users end up so confused when they can't log in next boot as their password has changed.

Yes, the more technically inclined of us will just close the window, but Windows as an OS wasn't made for the more technically inclined and that's what MS are banking on.

Ive never seen this happen. I’ve deployed hundreds of workstations and we create a local account before we join it to the domain. I just did an XPS 15 this morning using that method. For outside of a domain there’s no reason to log into a Microsoft account unless you purchased something on the Microsoft store and need to redownload it.

I wanted to install Excel through the Apple store. Turned out I couldn't continue installation without creating an account. So I canceled. Luckily there's Libreoffice.

Ive never seen this happen. I’ve deployed hundreds of workstations and we create a local account before we join it to the domain. I just did an XPS 15 this morning using that method. For outside of a domain there’s no reason to log into a Microsoft account unless you purchased something on the Microsoft store and need to redownload it.

Here it is, first boot, first connection to a network under Windows 10 Home:

vv5XdB5.jpg

You click OK and wallah:

2iMOE3c.jpg

I take photo's of such things as people have a tandancy to claim liar the second they don't want to believe certain claims when it comes to Microsoft products.

I wanted to install Excel through the Apple store. Turned out I couldn't continue installation without creating an account. So I canceled. Luckily there's Libreoffice.

You can install without an account, there's an obscure 'Apps Only' link in the requester. Yes, that's literally all it says...."Apps Only", the link isn't even mentioned in the same context as the Microsoft account and makes no reference to it. Tell me that's not underhanded.

The average inept user would have no idea what "Apps Only" means, and that's the idea.

You can install without an account, there's an obscure 'Apps Only' link in the requester. Yes, that's literally all it says...."Apps Only", the link isn't even mentioned in the same context as the Microsoft account and makes no reference to it. Tell me that's not underhanded.

The average inept user would have no idea what "Apps Only" means, and that's the idea.
In the Apple store installer? Anyways I was in a hurry and just deleted the whole annoyance. The installer actually hooked itself immediately as the default application trying to force me to finish the install. I ain't cool with that.

In the Apple store installer? Anyways I was in a hurry and just deleted the whole annoyance. The installer actually hooked itself immediately as the default application trying to force me to finish the install. I ain't cool with that.

Sorry, my bad, thought you were talking about the Windows Store. Yes, Apple are becoming quite locked down also which is a disappointment.

You click OK and wallah:

View attachment 224723

The first time I saw that setting up a customer's computer, I was pissed that they won't take NO for an answer.
Skipped it of course, but it's just that they keep trying crap like this.

Another one that had me swearing at MS was when they took out the Offline Account option on that first screen.
They twist your arm and force you to use an email address!

So I just use "[email protected]" to force an error condition, then it finally lets me setup an offline account.
Still see that sometimes on new systems.

ETA: OP, I think some of those Linux based boot disks that allow you to change Windows passwords may help.
Been a while since I used one, but I think you can enable the local admin account and set a password for it.
Then you should be able to create a new local user account (also with admin). From there you may be able to
copy over your old profile data and then nuke the old account.

Last edited:
ETA: OP, I think some of those Linux based boot disks that allow you to change Windows passwords may help.
Been a while since I used one, but I think you can enable the local admin account and set a password for it.
Then you should be able to create a new local user account (also with admin). From there you may be able to
copy over your old profile data and then nuke the old account.

The problem with this is: If the individual has chosen to enable 'Folder Protection' chances are there's very little of the person's files stored locally on their PC, One Drive attempts to mimic iCloud on Apple devices (which also sucks profusely), and takes it upon itself to shift files and data from the local user profile to the cloud. The issue is you have no idea just what's been shifted to the cloud when trying to backup or move the user profile as Windows attempts to 'optimize storage space'.

It's a downright PITA.

The issue is not about having to log into Apple store but having to create or link your Microsoft account also when installing the Office.

Yes, Office is generally linked to a Microsoft account these days. Yet again, a PITA.

Back